Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration (Read 262 times)
Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration
04/16/14 at 22:28:58

Hey there, I'm a new user on the board and new owner of a 1988 Savage.

I'm going to preface this post basically as a rant with a question. I'm really the one at fault here, and I'm going to have to live with it, and now I'm trying to fix stuff.

So the backstory:

I got my federal tax check and always wanted a motorcycle. I checked the local dealerships and found a pretty decent motorcycle, the 1988 Suzuki Savage. The bike had 19k miles on it (a bit much) and the dealership said it was ready to ride. They demonstrated it worked and I was amazed so okay $1100 bucks for this, okay. Bought it.

First Few Days:

The day it's delivered to my place I turn it on and it's awesome, decent sounding idle. I ride it around the block learning it's characteristics and park it and turn it off. I make sure to always turn the key downward as the rear lights stay on if I don't, so as to not run the battery down.

Changing of the battery:

Later I try and turn on the bike and it seems the battery is being stubborn so I say, "Hey the bike has been sitting for winter, I figure it needs a battery!" It turns out that's a good assessment and buy the battery and install it. Everything works.

Idle Problems:

The tank is low and hasn't been ridden for a while so I figure I go and get some gas. I put the cheapest gas in there (sorry if I offend there), and get the motor going again. This is where I start noticing that when I slow down the bike dies. "Maybe I didn't warm it up enough?" It was around 45F around the time so I make that note.

Changing of the Spark Plug:

Time goes on and I make sure I at least I warm up the engine roughly a couple to 3 minutes so my engine doesn't complain. Seems to work, but then I notice sometimes after a warm engine or long rides I'm getting idle stalling. So first things first I change the spark plug.

Changing of the Vacuum Hose:

I also change the vacuum hose that connects the vacuum from the petcock to the carburetor.

Motorbike continues to stall intermittently and now sometimes has gas coming from the bottom of the bike when I park. I'm thinking it's from the overflow tubes. I think.  Huh

Currently:

I can get the bike to idle for a bit and over time it's been to the point where I can only get it to continue to idle without dying by opening the throttle to keep rpms up. I can no longer ride the bike without it dying. I've done some research and come to multiple conclusions from:

* maybe the petcock is bad and I've ordered a Raptor petcock in case. * Perhaps the bowl is stuck, and a mechanic is coming over to check it out because I'm not too mechanically inclined (I'm a computer programmer).
* I've also come to the conclusion that perhaps the carburetor really does need some cleaning.

This purchase has become a project, and i'm sure you'll come to the conclusion it's my fault for buying the bike so cheap. It just seems like some carburetor issues and I'm hoping it's just that.

So I'm asking for a little bit of advice on what to do. Should I take it in to get a carb clean? Should I do it myself? I keep hearing about Seafoam, and wondered what that could accomplish. I've ordered the Raptor petcock and hope perhaps that may be the issue and I figure I'll find out tomorrow if it could be.

One thing I did anticipate upon buying a motorcycle was practically becoming a mechanic to the bike, and oh boy was I right.

theskynetproject   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration
Reply #1 - 04/16/14 at 22:43:14

could be old gas has gummed up the carb a bit, and old gas does loose it's zip.  Drain it, put it in elsewhere.  You only got 2 gal's, so a little bad goes a long way.
could be you got bad gas, a little water ain't good.
could be you need to clean the carb, sitting all winter will turn a little gas into a lot of varnish.  Seafoam can help if it's still soft, but ain't miracle stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
Reply #2 - 04/16/14 at 22:49:35

So a gummed up carb could dump some gas? If that's correct I should just clean the carb, and that would mean either me doing it myself (for the very first time), or taking it in to a mechanic (which requires a trailer or truck to get my bike there). Hmmmm... how can I save money and not break anything at the same time?  Tongue

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/16/14 at 23:06:30

Every thing you need to know is in the tech section...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

This is the stuff you probably want to use...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GU4SPA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&c...

you find a lot in the index which is linked below.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/16/14 at 23:09:00

I'd recommend the seafoam as a 1st effort.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/17/14 at 04:52:23

Frustrating, yes. Just don't get disappointed, buying an older bike will make a mechanic out of you as long as you don't give up.  It is a running functioning bike, you just need to iron out some stuff since it has been sitting. Follow the advise given and take it one step at a time. Doing the work yourself will teach you a ton and make you more familiar with your bike, enjoy it and learn from other people's mistakes, read the tech section, be patient and you will get it running well in no time  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/17/14 at 04:56:56

If you had bought a 26 year old car......you probably would be having troubles as well.  Even though the Savage is a simple device, time and stagnation do take a toll on things.....especially ones that sit with fuel in them.

A good tank and carb cleaning, and a Raptor petcocke most likely will get you back to riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 04/17/14 at 05:42:54

It stinks that the dealership didn't make sure all that was done before they sold it to ya!  I could see if it had been sitting in the back of somebody's garage...

Anyway, do like the guys said, you'll have 'er running in no time!
Smiley

ps  I remember when I got mine new in '07, it came with the idle turned way low - often stalled at idle.  adjusted idle speed up a bit (little knurled thumbscrew on the carb) it did a lot better.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 04/17/14 at 06:17:27

Quote:
I put the cheapest gas in there (sorry if I offend there)

Once you get the petcock/carb issues sorted, your bike will run just fine on cheap gas. all it needs is 87 octane. Just be aware that with the amount of ethanol in most gas nowdays, it's not good to leave a tankful sitting in the tank for months at a time without putting a little stabilizer in the tank - Sta-Bil, Seafoam -or something similar. Or just ride it enough so that the gas is always fresh Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/17/14 at 06:24:18

oldNslow wrote on 04/17/14 at 06:17:27:
Quote:
I put the cheapest gas in there (sorry if I offend there)

Just be aware that with the amount of ethanol in most gas nowdays, it's not good to leave a tankful sitting in the tank for months at a time without putting a little stabilizer in the tank - Sta-Bil, Seafoam -or something similar. Or just ride it enough so that the gas is always fresh Smiley

From the Long Term Fuel test I have going on....some of the pump gas started to do phase seperation in 50 days.

Keep that fuel fresh....unless you like taking things apart and cleaning them!

IMG_1159.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/17/14 at 06:41:04

They SAID its ready to ride, but if they didnt put a cam chain in it,, Its Time to look in there,,Thatll sink an engine,, Call them & ask if that was done,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 04/17/14 at 08:52:03

Yep, try Seafoam and I'd change out the petcock. It's two screws and a couple of hoses. It'll take you longer to drain your tank than to install the petcock. You don't even need to remove the tank. Be sure you block off the vacuum port on the right side of the carb and I'd ditch the inline fuel filter, more than one of us on the forum have had problems with the Raptor working with an inline filter on it for some reason.

And yeah, check that cam chain tensioner or see if the shop had maintenance records for a new cam chain installed. If not, that would be a top priority thing. The Savage is a pretty simple machine. You just have to read and look at the pictures on the tutorials and take pictures of things as you go so you know what it looked like before you took it apart.  Just be methodical and if you get stuck, take a picture and post it here and someone is always willing to help out.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 04/17/14 at 09:39:28

Welcome Sketarius,

And NO, you didn't make a mistake... the savage/s40 is a solid machine, only a few things ever go wrong with it, and with a few tools (bought, borrowed or rented) you can fix it, heck your a programmer, you can picture whats happening in yer head if someone explains the problem!

Gas...it will run on the cheap stuff... drain your carb bowl (bottom little screw on the carb, put a hose on the little drain on the bottom and run it into a container). If there is nasty stuff in there, you need to clean the carb.

PetcOck... good thing you ordered the raptor, it will fix the gas leak coming out your drain tube (remember to always shut it off when you shut the bike off and turn it on when you turn the key on), and remember to block the vacuum port on the right side of the carb after you install it.

Timing chain tensioner... high mileage bikes will need to have a new chain or replace the tensioner with an extended version from Versy here on this site...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338489898

Dying at stops... probably really slow idle... left side of the carb, knurled knob with a spring on it...clockwise to increase speed, counter clockwise to decrease idle speed, this single piston needs a slightly higher idle, no lug, lug, lug.... needs about 1,200 at least to keep the oil pumped up to the lifters.

Enrichment (choke)... there are actually two positions on the knob slide (left side round black knob front of carb) first position is hard to feel, just pull it out slightly and easily, you should feel it catch a bit. The first slot is for keeping it running to warm up.... all the way out is to get it started. You will have to ask all them northerners about starting below 40 degrees as I live in florida and rarely need to "choke" it.  P.S. it is not really a choke....from my understanding it adds fuel and does not choke off the air.

Tech section... take a long read sometime, i'm thinking almost every question you will ever think of will be answered by just cruising through there and reading a bit.... but never be afraid to ask anything, these guys here are constantly teaching me lessons every day!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
Reply #13 - 04/17/14 at 15:16:13

So after draining the carburetor this morning, and got the float unstuck. It was ride-able to a certain extent. I went to get gas and after filling up it started to sputter and just wanted to die. So i opened my throttle and got it to a mechanic. Carb clean was quoted at 1 hour $75 bucks, and he told me I was lucky considering some of the 4 cylinder bikes usually run around 400-500 dollars to clean.

What blows is I'm out a bike for at least a week or two. So I get really jealous when I see bikers riding in the nice weather. Boo. :'(

S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #14 - 04/17/14 at 15:28:45

Sketarius wrote on 04/17/14 at 15:16:13:
So after draining the carburetor this morning, and got the float unstuck. It was ride-able to a certain extent. I went to get gas and after filling up it started to sputter and just wanted to die. So i opened my throttle and got it to a mechanic. Carb clean was quoted at 1 hour $75 bucks, and he told me I was lucky considering some of the 4 cylinder bikes usually run around 400-500 dollars to clean.

What blows is I'm out a bike for at least a week or two. So I get really jealous when I see bikers riding in the nice weather. Boo. :'(

Yeah, there are advantages to single cylinders and carbs.
Once the carb is cleaned, you should still check out the petcock. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't part of the issue.  If you order it now it will be in your hands when you get the bike back and you can install it right away (or heck, ask the mechanic to install it while he has the carb off, it's a 5 minute deal). It would s*ck to get your fresh carb back and THEN find out you need a petcock too and have to wait 10 days for it to arrive.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 12:36:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.