Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about the carb spacer mod and upgrades (Read 108 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Question about the carb spacer mod and upgrades
04/04/14 at 06:36:57

First of all I have only been here a short time and in that time I have taken a completely blown up savage and turned it into an awesome machine. I rode her yesterday for the first time on a nice solid ride and man, it felt great. I want to say thanks. This place is really cool. Period

0K! So my question is. I have a cone air filter and a shorty exhaust coming in the mail with removable baffle. I should also mention that my exhaust right now as it stands has several holes drilled in the back baffle and a big rusted out hole on the main housing. I wrapped the main rusted hole with exhaust wrap for the time being and it worked but it looks like shiot. I have not jetted my carburetor although I do plan to in a month or two. (Just don't have the $50 to spare right now.) If I do the spacer mod do you think it will compensate for the upgrades I have or better yet has anyone tried this?
Mainly I just do not want to lose power, have major backfire or "F" up my bike. Otherwise it would be great if I could pull this off for the mean time whie I wait on getting a jet kit.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Question about the carb spacer mod and upgrade
Reply #1 - 04/04/14 at 06:54:19

Since you have a carb with no idle mixture screw.......I am not sure how jetting or a spacer mod is going to help.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1396504727

Do you have anything plugging the hole where the mixture screw used to be before you drilled it out?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #2 - 04/04/14 at 07:00:26

Dave wrote on 04/04/14 at 06:54:19:
Since you have a carb with no idle mixture screw.......I am not sure how jetting or a spacer mod is going to help.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1396504727

Do you have anything plugging the hole where the mixture screw used to be before you drilled it out?

Yea its kind of funny I have a pencil eraser with a large size paper clip straightened running through the center and into the idle mixture hole in the back.
Heres the funny part when I added that the bike ran pretty darn good and the backfire is there but rare before that it was every minute or so.

I have a new screw as I mentioned previously I just need to wait on a way to implement it. But for the meantime the eraser thing isnt half bad.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/04/14 at 09:38:09

I'm going to make a dozen assumptions here... Grin...
Pardon where I'm wrong...

-If you drilled out yer' pilot screw, you now have now have no threads for a new pilot...  (you gonna' need a new carb)...
- You will loose power with a cone and a waffle baffled, or open muffler...
- Your bike runs pretty darn good,... but you have no basis of comparison...  unless you've ridden a stock bike in good running order...
- and,.. lastly, I'm going to assume you live near sea level...

Read here for real tuning tips...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277
As I said,.. you will loose power from these mods... (how much, compared to what you have, no one knows)... (it might improve)...
At sea level,.. I'd begin with a 152.5 main, 50 pilot...
Then do the throttle back test described in the link for the main...
Then go back to the slide spacer and pilot from there,.. retesting the main when you're done...(if you're above 3,000ft reduce numbers one step)...

A stock Savage, should go up to 70mph, fast and easily, in about 7 or 8 seconds, pulling strong all the way and still in 3rd gear...
If your bike can't,.. your mods are decreasing power...

Best luck... keep us updated... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #4 - 04/04/14 at 12:48:54

Serowbot wrote on 04/04/14 at 09:38:09:
I'm going to make a dozen assumptions here... Grin...
Pardon where I'm wrong...

-If you drilled out yer' pilot screw, you now have now have no threads for a new pilot...  (you gonna' need a new carb)...
- You will loose power with a cone and a waffle baffled, or open muffler...
- Your bike runs pretty darn good,... but you have no basis of comparison...  unless you've ridden a stock bike in good running order...
- and,.. lastly, I'm going to assume you live near sea level...

Read here for real tuning tips...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277
As I said,.. you will loose power from these mods... (how much, compared to what you have, no one knows)... (it might improve)...
At sea level,.. I'd begin with a 152.5 main, 50 pilot...
Then do the throttle back test described in the link for the main...
Then go back to the slide spacer and pilot from there,.. retesting the main when you're done...(if you're above 3,000ft reduce numbers one step)...

A stock Savage, should go up to 70mph, fast and easily, in about 7 or 8 seconds, pulling strong all the way and still in 3rd gear...
If your bike can't,.. your mods are decreasing power...

Best luck... keep us updated... Wink...

No worries you are right and wrong hehehe. I use to own a 1998 savage back in 2000 pure stock Thing had like 1,500 miles on it
I live in Tampa Bay Florida so yup right at sea level and those sound like some pretty good tips. I know tuning will not be easy I really simply wanted to know if this works for those mods as apposed to jetting. In other words has anyone simply done the mod added the cone air filter and or a shorty pipe or the like with a baffle and had it run ok or by hypothesis is this something that makes sense or would I be wasting my time to even try it?
Because if it makes sense or someone did it with success I could try it and if my issues make it impossible just easily go back to the old set up one way or the other.
So more or less not talking specificaly about me and my bike, would this work?
I think I read somewhere someone had done the mod without jetting and added a cone, so I really just wanted to confirm or have someone tell me I must be an idiot Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/04/14 at 14:15:10

At sea level,.. even a stock bike should be edging on lean...  a swap to a stock Harley shorty muffler, just might get by,... but adding a cone and an even more free breathing muffler will need a rejet...
I know I would need to rejet with those mods here, and I'm at 2600ft...

Basically,.. count on the rejet as necessary...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 04/04/14 at 15:52:12

wickedbiker wrote on 04/04/14 at 12:48:54:
Serowbot wrote on 04/04/14 at 09:38:09:

I live in Tampa Bay Florida so yup right at sea level and those sound like some pretty good tips. I know tuning will not be easy I really simply wanted to know if this works for those mods as apposed to jetting.

I just did a Dyna muffler and carb: 152.5, 52.5, two spacers, 2 and a half turns out on the idle screw, and a cone filter. I live in Phoenix, so roughly sea level. The bike runs SOOO much better than stock. Still a "POOT" when I shut it off, but I'll live with that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 03:58:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about the carb spacer mod and upgrades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.