Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need your help again starting issue (SOLVED) (Read 278 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Need your help again starting issue (SOLVED)
03/25/14 at 08:50:22

Hi everybody I am the guy who bought the cheap savage that had a destroyed engine, bought another engine got it running then stripped out the fuel/air mix screw and drilled out the carburetor badly and now:

I hooked up a stereo had everything working great ended up leaving it on and draining the battery so I hooked it up to the tail light wires so it could be turned off with the key ( I chose these wires because they had metal connectors with rubber slip covers so I was able to make the connection without cutting or splicing anything). Well ever since doing this I havent been able to start my bike. It acts like it wants to start but its not getting enough power to turn over more than maybe once or twice then just ticking. I bought a brand new no maintenance high performance battery put it in and same thing turns over barely maybe once or twice then ticking. I checked the wires to the solenoid and the starter they are tight, battery wires are always on tight and the battery is always fully charged by myself. I am, not sure what the F! is going on. Whatever it is it is making a fully charged battery act like it barely has a charge.

I'm so pissed I have spent to me a lot of money $1,500 to get this thing going so I could just have some peace and a ride with 2 wheels and it has been a living hell and I am losing faith. Thanks Undecided

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 13:56:34 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Need your help again starting issue
Reply #1 - 03/25/14 at 09:16:08

wickedbiker wrote on 03/25/14 at 08:50:22:
Hi everybody I am the guy who bought the cheap savage that had a destroyed engine, bought another engine got it running then stripped out the fuel/air mix screw and drilled out the carburetor badly and now:

I hooked up a stereo had everything working great ended up leaving it on and draining the battery This killed your battery so I hooked it up to the tail light wires so it could be turned off with the key. Well ever since doing this I haven't been able to start my bike. It acts like it wants to start but its not getting enough power to turn over more than maybe once or twice then just ticking. I bought a brand new no maintenance high performance battery put it in and same thing turns over barely maybe once or twice then ticking.   You never fully charged the new battery, you do have to charge a new battery.

Have you checked your charger?   Especially the fancy ones that do maintenance charge after a quick charge can become faulty and give you no sign that they have gone bad.

I checked the wires to the solenoid and the starter they are tight, battery wires are always on tight and the battery is always fully charged by myself. I am, not sure what the F! is going on. Whatever it is it is making a fully charged battery act like it barely has a charge.  Have you checked your charger?   My bike charger is a simple, non-complicated only one output charger that simply works every time.   What sort do you have and what is its output voltage now?   A bad charger would explain both of your previous batteries issues all by itself ....

I'm so pissed I have spent to me a lot of money $1,500 to get this thing going so I could just have some peace and a ride with 2 wheels and it has been a living hell and I am losing faith. Thanks Undecided

"Electrical frustration" is a common thing among bikers -- we have all had the electrical gremlins drive us nuts at one time or another.  

Start telling us the battery voltage after you charge it and what it drops down to when you do a single thing.  

Avoid doing a lot of things before reporting, or it become very difficult to figure out what did what.

Do a thing, report.  Do next thing, report.    

Right now make sure you have a good charger.   You do that by reporting the voltage on the battery before you hook it up, the initial voltage increase while it is charging, the charging time and the residual battery voltage after you take the charger off and how quickly it drops down if it does drop down just sitting there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/25/14 at 09:49:47

Make sure your new battery is fully charged, as OF said...
Disconnect your stereo until you get your bike running properly...

Once that is sorted out,...

Connect it to a switched power source,... with an appropriate sized in-line fuse...
What is the wattage draw of your stereo?...
A Savage doesn't have lot of spare power for running accessories...
The shorter your rides, the less power you have to spare...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/25/14 at 10:22:10

Sero, check my memory -- folks who have taken full bore bike stereos off of Goldwings, big Harleys and BMWs have never gotten enough juice to run them for long.   Folks who use I Pads and such mobile devices have had pretty good success, as I remember.

A charger for a mobile device pulls piddly compared to the amp in a real bike stereo (or worse yet, a car stereo).   It takes a lot of power to run speakers loud enough to be heard well over the wind noise.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/25/14 at 10:30:28

The charge system isnt designed to have much left over. Yes, unhook whatever ya hooked up. Get it running,,
Did ya see the Voltage "Gauge" Digger posted? 2 lousy LEDs & some minor circuitry & Violas,,you can see if your battery isnt doing well,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #5 - 03/25/14 at 10:45:53

Unfortunately my volt meter is busted and I have unhooked the stereo ever since the issue started to try to get it going. I had this stereo hooked up to a 1974 CB750 Honda chopper with no mods to the power system except an updated regulator rectifier. I trded in the old 2 peice regulator and rectifier for the one peice.
I have a Motobatt big boy charger it does have the maintenance and all the wacko neat junk I got it on ebay.

The only other charger I have is a car charger that has a 12c volt 2amp option not sure if that will work and a trickle charger that is only meant to keep a full charged battery charged.
Heres my luck I just cleaned the negative terminal on the engine and tightened it to much no it sheered off I had to move the ground to a new spot on the engine. I am about to just shoot myself. I swear there is some malevolent force keeping me from riding.

I am praying to god it isnt the starter because I do not have another $200 to dump into this thing

WWW   IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 03/25/14 at 11:14:18

I bought a battery maintainer that looks a lot like yours and it doesn't bring the battery to full voltage, fails to start my savage too..

I had to use a REGULAR auto battery charger and set it to 2 amps

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #7 - 03/25/14 at 11:53:10

shorty wrote on 03/25/14 at 11:14:18:
I bought a battery maintainer that looks a lot like yours and it doesn't bring the battery to full voltage, fails to start my savage too..

I had to use a REGULAR auto battery charger and set it to 2 amps

Cool I'll give it a shot bro!!  Huh

UPDATE! You were right on the money that charger is nuts!! I used my car charger at 12 volts and 2 amps waited about 3-4 hours and the bike started right up my brother You are a life saver like everyone else who has helped me thus far. As soon as my wife gets home I'm goin riden. OH! YEA! I ordered another more simple charger off ebay and its in FL like me so it should be here soon. my wife and I have to have some good ole classic rock when we ride man so the stereo stays but its on the key so it shouldnt get left on again. I hope it won't cause me issues later with the charging system and if you think it will what can I do to have it work out? I'll post a picture of the 100watt pyle system I have below. BTW it rocks I'll make a video for you guys later

http://www.amazon.com/PLMCA20-Motorcycle-Snowmobile-handle-bar-Weatherproof/d...

« Last Edit: 03/25/14 at 14:57:14 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/25/14 at 14:12:58

Harbor Freight will sell you a volt ohm meter for less than $10  (and they periodically give them away for free with a newspaper coupon).

Without a volt ohm meter you aren't going to do much troubleshooting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/25/14 at 18:47:35

I WILL take the HF meter, BUT, I dont trust them a lot. Im on my 3rd one( But, I did give one away), I also have a Micronta from the 80's.
Get a cheapo meter & TEST it on a known voltage if ya can. At least check the car battery & see how it reads,,youll know if its in the ball park or out in left field,, Hmm,, wait a MINNIT!  Left field is IN the ball park, innitt? Im so confused!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/26/14 at 04:28:18

If you see an old school simple battery charger at a yard sale or flea market - you might want to buy it.  A lot of the modern chargers and battery tenders that monitor the charge - won't work on a battery that has dropped below a certain voltage or is dead.  For some reason whatever those chargers look at to see the state of charge believe a dead battery is charged.....and they won't charge it.  The old school chargers just keep on charging as long as they are hooked up.

The battery tenders are great for keeping a charge.....but useless in charging a battery that is run down or dead.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #11 - 03/30/14 at 16:31:46

Well I'm back to square one I bought another charger and still having the issues.

I bought a brand new volt meter and the batteries are fully charged at 13- 14
I really am at a loss........ Huh

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 03/30/14 at 18:46:48

Next then is to watch the voltage and how fast it drops "all by itself" with the "key off".
Charge your battery and check it like every hour and see if it drains... or how far down it drains.
Mine charges only up to about 12.80v, but rarely drops below 12.30, so my battery might be going.
But if yours drops real fast, it could be a short somewhere draining the system.
Then all you have to do is find that....by checking the connections you had to connect and the grounds that you had to take off and put back on...or it might be a wire is simply shorting out somewhere....

But first...find out how fast that voltage is dropping with the key off....

Got to add this.... do you have an added 3 or 4 post relay? for added wiring anywhere? I added one to my ninja and had to add a switch to it because it was draining my battery.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/30/14 at 18:47:09

I don't think a Savage stator is gonna' handle 100watt stereo amp...

I think you'll be doing a lot of battery charging...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #14 - 03/31/14 at 06:16:32

OK with the battery in the bike voltage no key is 13. Something pretty much the same with the key on might 12- 13 push the starter the quickly goes to 9 then right to 5-6.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 14:15:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need your help again starting issue (SOLVED)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.