Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the whine on the LS650 when decelerating normal (Read 239 times)
LS650fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Is the whine on the LS650 when decelerating normal
03/03/14 at 04:33:40

Hi there....as the owner of a new LS650 Im really happy with the bike but I do have a question...third gear seems to whine alot,especially when Im decelerating...Its also noticable in 4th but to not such a degree..I think I heard some where that the whine on the savage when decelerating was a bit of a common occurence...I might just be worrying about nothing..the bike is running great...but that whine...is this a normal thing?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Is the whine on the LS650 when decelerating no
Reply #1 - 03/03/14 at 05:59:00

We have several noises that are associated with the toothed belt.

A sound like a smmoooth low volume whrrrrr  that is very consistent can come from the belt itself, and can be altered by adjusting belt tension.

A harsher whirrrclick noise can come from a loose front pulley which should be checked NOW as it progresses into spline failure on the output shaft from the tranny.

So, take off the shiny cover plate and check to see if your front pulley is loose.   Then adjust your belt tension to see if the tone changes any.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LS650fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/04/14 at 02:26:53

Thanks for that...no its not the whirr of the belt..Its coming from the transmission...its hard to explain...you that whining sound as you lose speed when changing down...maybe a bit hard to explain....I will take it into Suzuki and get expert ears to have a listen....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/04/14 at 05:28:04

Do you have a full coverage helmet?  It is amazing how much they can direct some noises to your ears....with the bottom being focused directly at the engine.....a lot of noises can be amplified and sound much more prominent than they really are.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/04/14 at 05:32:42

The drive pulley being loose on the splines does sound like it is coming from the transgression (it is).   Check your nut and pulley washer for any signs of pulley motion, and grab that pulley and see if it moves on the splines.  

A loose pulley nut is a common enough problem on this bike, after all.

Taking your bike to a Suzuki dealership is a BAD idea -- yes they will find all sorts of expensive problems for you with your transmission, and your clutch system, and various bearings -- none of which are real or actually apply to your problem.  

Your wallet will certainly be lighter though.

Wink

Next thought, hmmm  (how to say this in the best fashion ???).

If you came here looking for some dealer service trip pre-information with no intention of actually taking a simple belt cover off your bike and shaking a drive pulley to see if the nut is loose, then you got whatever "good information" you came to get.

Here's some more good information if you want to get your hands dirty .....

(put this up into your browser's search bar or just double click on it)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335739552/15

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 03/04/14 at 06:58:32

Whirring sound when I decelerate sounds like belt whine...mine has been doing it for 10,000 miles and I expect it was doing it for the 6,000 before I bought it.
I wouldn't sweat it...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #6 - 03/04/14 at 07:40:22

Is the bike new as in "brand new" or just new to you?
If it's brand new, make the dealer earn his money. Wink

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 03/04/14 at 07:45:15

^ depends on your dealer...I myself wouldn't trust them...they'll tension the belt to spec which is too tight...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 03/04/14 at 12:52:04

The 4 speed transmission on mine whines like an old jeep from MASH. Hasn't gotten any worse since I had it, so I'm leaving as is.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 03/04/14 at 16:23:19

Mine's like Gizzo's.  It whines like an old Jeep or truck especially during deceleration.  Never had any problems, though.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #10 - 03/05/14 at 08:41:15

Some noises can be induced by your riding style.  At what speed do you downshift?  I know if I shift into 2nd or 1st early (40  mph for 2nd, 30 mph for 1st) that the tranny will whine even though I've got the clutch pulled.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/05/14 at 10:57:36

If youll get some canning wax ( grocery store) & rub on the belt, reach up & do the underside of the top,too, then see if it sounds different. You can isolate the noise. The front pulley is a crucial thing. Dont let that thing be ANY kinda loose. The washer is folded over but wont keep it from getting loose sometimes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LS650fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/11/14 at 00:12:12

Thanks all for your responses,we are so far down the topic page that I hope some of you might read this...actually after I had put down that I was going to take it into Suzuki,I later thought that was such a silly thing to say that I would be lucky to get any replies Grin...I have read Oldfella your post but am going to need to study it for a bit longer as I am a complete laymen when it comes to maintenance..something I would like to work on though...the idea about the helmet was interesting too..actually I have started wearing earplugs when I ride...I am familiar enough with the bike now to know where I am gearwise versus speed without having to hear the engine too clearly...but the analogy about the old jeep was perfect..thats exactly what I was trying to say...like an old jeep from MASH winding down...yip thats it...also that comment was interesting about the speed in which I change down having a bearing on it...I know what you are saying and it is a art Im learning...dropping gears at 'just' the right time...thanks again for all your responses..Im going to start perusing this site alot more to gain some more insights into the LS650..a bike I have always loved...(and now I own YAY!)...Pete

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/11/14 at 08:15:04

Mine has the noise on decel.
It really sounds like gear whine, but without the hard, hi pitched undertone.
The bike has done it since day one, I assumed it's normal.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:18:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is the whine on the LS650 when decelerating normal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.