Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenance (Read 1404 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: Best way to break free the 32mm drive pulley n
Reply #15 - 04/30/12 at 10:22:57

Do NOT put a bar through the rear sprocket. That nice big sprocket is made of cast aluminum. The spokes are weak when you apply that kind of force. On the other hand, maybe you wanted to get a new rear pulley anyway.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 04/30/12 at 10:27:22

greenmonster wrote on 04/30/12 at 10:22:57:
Do NOT put a bar through the rear sprocket. That nice big sprocket is made of cast aluminum. The spokes are weak when you apply that kind of force. On the other hand, maybe you wanted to get a new rear pulley anyway.

I've done it,.. multiple times... and not even a scratch...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 04/30/12 at 12:48:16

If you look at the pic and read the info under it -- it says there are 4 places you can do this.   These are the 4 thick spoke areas.   I add one more to Serowbot's "done it" count.

I will clarify though, the idea is for tech posts to be easy to read and clear.  

Which is why my tech posts start out as RSD threads and everybody is kind enough to point out all the flaws and lacks right quick like  (and I fixes them, I do).

Grin

Actually, Ralphyguy and Routy combine into making the single safest method, which is to lock up the rear brake tight by adjusting the adjustment nut until it gets tight.   I discount the wife on the brakes as she has to be home to do that and often she isn't.

Shame some bikes simply don't have enough remaining brake shoe fibre thickness left to do the adjustment nut trick with ....

« Last Edit: 05/03/12 at 12:58:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Rear pulley nut removal and spline maintenance
Reply #18 - 04/30/12 at 13:06:21

OK. now we kick over into the next part of the Tech Post, spline maintenance.

Those of you who have heard the "playing cards in the bike's spokes" sound on deceleration understand what I am talking about -- when simple wear has increased the shaft spline to pulley spline clearance to the point something has to be tried to stop it or it will progress faster and faster to failure.

I've heard JB Weld and I've heard RTV and I've heard speciality stuff from Loctite corp ---- what have you guys actually used that fixed the issues.

Cheesy

And were you ever able to get the pulley off again when you needed to ?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 04/30/12 at 13:44:13

And methods used to apply the gap filling goo.
I have an oversized pulley, but the splines are worn.
I'm contemplating grinding a groove around the middle of the splines and drilling and tapping a hole to the outside for a pressure fitting.
then loading a tube with goo and pressurizing it till goo squirts out the ends.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 04/30/12 at 14:20:21

I think I'd just smear JB around the shaft splines n' slide the pulley on...

There have been instances of the pulley chewing up the shaft spines,... haven't there?... Seem to vaguely remember one...
That's a scary thought...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re:Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenance
Reply #21 - 04/30/12 at 16:27:51

Oh yes, quite a few of the higher mileage bikes have had pulley ID splines totally wear out of existence.   Serenity had one freewheel on him so bad he thought his gearbox was shot.  Motobudda missed this years Dragon run because his splines were totally shot.

Shaft splines take some wear too, but the steel is heat treated machined rod stock while the pulley is investment cast something or other, so the pulley is what gives up first.

JB Weld is not forever, heat it up and cool it down repeatedly it crumbles eventually even in this sort of use and slowly gets turned into JB powder.   Your "playing cards in the spokes" comes back to haunt you, eventually.

Trouble is, if you want to take the front pulley off before then you got a real issue as uncrumbled JB Weld is pretty durn strong stuff.

RTV is a joke, not really strong enough to resist the forces involved when it is fresh, much less after a few years.   It isn't totally going to stop the progression, but you CAN remove the pulley if you have to ....  About the best you can say is that RTV will "mute" the playing cards for a while.

Anyhow, looking at the shiny drive surfaces and little metal tits being pushed out on the edges of the splines, I would say I have some progression going on between acel and decel modes.

Mild, but it is there.   Enough to make the noise I was hearing, mebbe.

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 21:35:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re:Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenance
Reply #22 - 05/01/12 at 09:18:28

OK, before we start to gooping, you need to measure the side to side rock potential on your worn pulley.

Put the cleaned pulley on the splines and rock it looking for tilt movement.   Mine would do a 1/6" of an inch and my wear on my splines is very mild.

You need to be mindful of getting an even settlement of your gooped pulley during torque down and you need to check the evenness of the pulley both for tilt and run-out BEFORE you go for the final clinch up.  

Why?   If you clench up crooked and let the RTV (or JB Weld if you are at that stage) set up crooked -- guess what, you got a vibration/noise from a front pulley that is running crooked.  You don't want that.

Now on to the gooping, having been all properly warned and all ....

Shaft is in great shape, practically virginal.   No issues here.

Some RTV on the shaft splines .....

Some RTV in the ID splines .....

Some loctite on the threads and a goodly whapping with the impact wrench.

Looking at the ooze, I see some width & thickness to it.   This means the RTV inside the joint got itself squeezed by the pull down with the impact wrench.   Assuming there was a similar internal pressure squeeze effect, then the joint between the splines got force extruded pretty full of pressurized RTV as well.   The movement would be through the splines and into the air gap under the spacer that the transmission seal runs against.

I dunno, but I think we got us a fairly good RTV encapsulated joint here which unfortunately I still tend to think is only going to be a temporary fix at best.  

Still, we gotta try the less extreme fix first to see if it is worth anything at all.

« Last Edit: 05/01/12 at 17:08:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Klobchar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenanc
Reply #23 - 01/19/14 at 20:26:08

Sorry to bump such an old thread....but this is very important to me.

Oldfeller, can we get an update on how you think this worked out over all?

For those who haven't read my rubberside topic, my splines are shot, I would say a couple hundred miles till complete failure.  :'(

I was lucky enough to find another '95 engine from another member here. But before I either split the bottoms....or transfer the tops, should I attempt the J-B method out? If for nothing else, at least we as a forum will know the efficiency of the method. Or maybe even try to insert pins through the pully as suggested above.

And Should I do this with a new pully for best results? My pully splines are so bad that they are sharp. There is so much room in between splines (pully and output) that I could probably fit real welding in there.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 01/20/14 at 06:55:52

I think you totally misunderstood this part of the thread.

It isn't really about recovering already severely torn up splines, it is about attempting to prevent the spline wear progression from progressing by doing this very early on, just as soon as motion is first detected.

======================

What is known about severely progressed spline wear?

Serenity is your man for that, he has killed two sets of splines on pulleys and one and a half sets on engines.

His last attempt at fixin' his extreme spline slop involved driving a series of 2-3 little hard tack nails into each of the spline gaps trying to put the driven surfaces next to each other in a more permanent way.

Attempt before that was JB Weld.

Neither fix lasted more than a year or two.

Longest lasting, most drastic fix that has been done is to align the splines into contact, tighten the nut down good with no washer under it then spot weld the nut to the shaft, then spot weld the nut to the pulley.

This works, but it means you cannot take the belt off ever again.  End game on this fix is the splined/treaded end of the shaft breaking off after years and years of the threaded shaft end taking all the load from the engine.

Next factoid is that a full engine tear down to switch out the shaft cost more than a cheap used engine.   When this was figured, an engine cost $350, with them running up around $550 now days the math may not work out that way any more.  

So, since you have a new engine get a newish pulley and try the RTV trick as it lasts at least 2 years (date since installed).  It can't hurt and it would hold some at first, then act as a sort of impact resistant lubricant after the motion actually began.

As far as me tearing down the junction to look at it, no, that ain't going to happen until I hear it break itself loose again.   So far that hasn't happened.

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 17:05:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Curtiss
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/04/14 at 22:54:14

Personally I spent the $75 and got a chain so I could adapt it to constant freeway riding, the belt was cool but the engine was over winding at 65 mph. Must admit the belt was cleaner but the ratio on the chain works better for my uses
Kiss

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 02/07/14 at 05:42:42

You know, the chain conversion guys have the exact same problem about wearing out the drive splines on the output shaft.   Their actual chain sprocket to splines engagement area is actually less than what the pulley guys have, so logically they should hit the spline wear out wall sooner.

We don't hear about this happening because the chain drive guys tend to sell the bike off before it wears out the drive shaft splines
(they also tend to be relatively younger folks who change bikes frequently).

Us old farts who ride the Savage because it fits our creaky old bodies so well, we tend to keep the bike long enough to wear things out.

Key thing is to keep  your nut nice and tight
and to check it periodically to see if it has gotten loose on you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #27 - 04/02/14 at 08:26:32

It is good to see this topic being discussed as it's very important to owners who put higher miles and or hard acceleration/deceleration on their bikes. Suzuki recommends that the torque on the front pulley lock nut be checked every 4000 miles. This is no joke.

I bought a Savage with 11K on it and did not check the torque on this nut. By 13K the splines on the front pulley were gone (tow truck time). The splines on the mating transmission mainshaft were damaged. Repair #1: Replaced front pulley and put Loctite 660 onto the mainshaft splines. This lasted only 5400 miles and I pushed the bike home. Repair #2: Had a welder build up mainshaft splines and welded front pulley to the mainshaft. This lasted only 3000 miles and once again I pushed the bike home. Repair #3: Bought a used bottom end on eBay ($300) and swapped it in. No simple task. Not cheap either.

If you choose to repair the bottom end instead of replacing it, figure $150 in parts, a least two special tools, and many hours of labor.

Moral of story: Check the torque on the front pulley nut regularly, like every time you do a valve adjustment or be prepared to junk the bike or swap in a bottom end or repair the transmission.

Recommendation: Put a dab of paint across the lock nut, lock washer, and pulley. With a metal scribe scratch a location mark in the painted metal to locate the pulley to the lock nut. Check this regularly to detect any motion and address it before you lose your mainshaft splines. Here's a not so great photo of what I did: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t9qzo756vzzfyj/PulleyNutLocator.JPG

« Last Edit: 05/31/14 at 21:08:59 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
ret cg
YaBB Newbies

riding since 1960

Lumberton,Tx
Reply #28 - 05/08/14 at 06:46:43

If the pulley, washer and nut have never been removed from the original factory build is this still a potential problem? 25K on my 2006 with cam chain tensioner, tires, oil, filter and three valve adjusment checks as the only maintenance.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 05/08/14 at 09:47:52

Yes,.. they do come loose, and even a slight bit loose can eat the shaft splines...
Then yer' in deep doodoo...

Make checking it a part of your regular maintenance... (can make clicking or chirping noises when loose)...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:36:08

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.