Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Self starter drained battery... (Read 180 times)
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Self starter drained battery...
02/20/14 at 13:42:29

Hi savages. I'm a new member and am just starting what will probably be a long list of questions. So here we go with some background info.... 86 650. New to me. 18,000 km. Po said it was running last summer but it came with a 2001 license plate on it. No battery. I hooked up a spare battery via boostercables. The bike started turning over on its own. I disconnected the battery pos. Pos wire very warm. Starter very warm. Tried again. Smoke from pos booster clamp. Disconnected again. Hmmm. I think I have an electrical problem. :'( .  So I went and bought a multi meter for testing purposes. Problem is, electrical is not my forte... I have no idea where to start. I did a search for starting troubleshooting but got no hits. Long post short, can some one point me in the right direction to start testing? Or direct me to a troubleshooting walkthrough? Any help is appreciated. Oh, and after reading over 100 pages on rsd I gotta say this is a very informative site with lots of helpful ppl. Love it.  Thanks...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Self starter drained battery...
Reply #1 - 02/20/14 at 14:04:17

can be either of 2 things... stuck starter relay or bad decomp controller.

starters going to be warm cause of auto start, don't try again till it's cool.

give the fender a sharp wrap just under the ig switch to unstick the relay.

WWW   IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #2 - 02/20/14 at 14:11:00

Okay I will try beating the relay. I should add that my seat is already off and my relay is unbolted from the fender by po. Does it need to be attached, grounded to work?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/20/14 at 14:33:20

You'll have to check, but I believe one of the small wires is ground (black w/wht trace usually)

check 1 small wire is powered all the time, then for sure bad decomp controller.

couple of guys have had the problem where the starter would start up by itself in the middle of the night.

decomp controller had filled up with water and corroded in a couple of spots.

WWW   IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #4 - 02/20/14 at 14:47:44

Thanks for the quick replys Okay so.... I beat the relay and then hooked up power. Now all lights came on. Switched key on. Pulled clutch hit starter and high speed clicking from relay. No smoke no heat. Battery is back on charger (battery tender).  Battery went from 12.3 v to 11.3 v when disconnected. I will wait for another full charge and try again. Is there instructions on the tech page for testing the decompression solenoid? Thanks again.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/20/14 at 15:03:14

I don't think so.
normal operation is decomp on for 1/2 second, and starter on before decomp clicks off.

BTW...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

WWW   IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #6 - 02/20/14 at 15:36:16

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I could hear the decomp clicking lightly each time I hit the starter button. I think if I get a good charge on my battery things may happen. We will see...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/21/14 at 08:28:38

hangsout wrote on 02/20/14 at 14:47:44:
Thanks for the quick replys Okay so.... I beat the relay and then hooked up power. Now all lights came on. Switched key on. Pulled clutch hit starter and high speed clicking from relay. No smoke no heat. Battery is back on charger (battery tender).  Battery went from 12.3 v to 11.3 v when disconnected. I will wait for another full charge and try again. Is there instructions on the tech page for testing the decompression solenoid? Thanks again.

OK, you need some more info about batteries.

A battery  tender WILL NOT FULLY CHARGE YOUR BATTERY from a below a 12.5 volt state.

You need to go acquire a no more than 2 amp real battery charger.

You need to fully charge the battery for no less than six hours (and no more than 8) such that it maintains 12.5 volts when measured 2 hours after you disconnect the real battery charger.

If your battery will not maintain over 12 volts it is likely a bad battery.   11.3 is really bad -- that 11.3 volt battery cannot crank the bike over and maintain enough voltage to fire the black box (make a spark at the spark plug).   Whacky thing is it can still turn the bike over .... (known issue).

Get back to us when you have a known good fully charged over 12.5 volt battery.

==============================

Next item, how old is the gasoline in your gas tank?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #8 - 02/21/14 at 08:44:15

Thanks OF. Yes I am aware that the tender is not a proper charger. It's been on all night and is now sitting at 13.1v with the tender disconnected. I will be picking up a proper charger today from my buddy. My intent was to see if I could get thebike to turn over. I'm sure the relay was stuck. After smacking it a few times and thenhooking up power, the lights came on but I feel the battery was too low to do much more than click click click from the relay. I'm just about to go out and try again and see what's what. Gas has been drained from tank and carb and will be replaced with a gallon or so of fresh before I try to actually start the motor.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 02/21/14 at 08:59:58

I wouldn't hook that battery tender back up to anything if it is outputting way up at 13.1 volts.

"Battery tenders" are odd critters, they attempt to hold the battery's charge at 12.0 to 12.2 volts simply to maintain the battery's chemistry at the very best level to keep sulfides from forming.

There are some hybrid chargers out there that are somewhat computerized.   They follow a charge cycle which is CHARGE until a certain battery voltage is reached, then they kick down into trickle mode.

What battery charger do you currently have?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #10 - 02/21/14 at 09:17:10

OF.... So the unit is a Deltran battery tender junior. It came with my vstar so I don't know much about it. Without it hooked up my battery reads 13.12v. Withit hooked up my battery reads about 14.5v. It says output 12v at 750 Ma

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/21/14 at 09:59:15

It should be shutting off once the battery reaches that kind of voltage, It sure shouldnt be jacking it up into the 14 range. Id check the output of just the charger, just for fun, just before I dropped it in the trash.. Based on what youve said, Id call that thing junk,
Having a good float charger is a great thing,, but holding a battery @14+ volts is gonna cook water off, innitt?
Check the water & charge it up slow & easy. But,, If I buy an old anything with anything less than a trustworthy battery, Im gettin a new battery, soon, BUT, I would iron out the electricals before I put a new battery in,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 02/21/14 at 10:07:53

It is a 4 step computerized charger, so it might just have been interrupted part way through its cycle.    Unhook it, unplug it, plug it back up and hook it up again and use your volt meter to judge what it is doing as it goes through its 4 cycles.

Justin is right, if it leaves you up at 13+ volts endlessly it will hurt your battery.

I suspect being a smart charger it is struggling with a not so optimum battery (yours) and may be doing some strange stuff.

Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).
   Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).
   Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery.
   If the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.
   Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.
   Spark proof.
   Reverse polarity protected.
   12' output cord.
   5 year warranty

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #13 - 02/21/14 at 10:48:15

Okay...so. Tried the battery. It turned the motor over. And then quickly crapped out. So I hooked the cables up to my car. That spun the motor over. Tried that about 5 times with fresh gas and set to prime. Each try was about 3-5 seconds of cranking. It back fired through the exhaust 2 times. Then..... Nothing. Lights are on. Starter clicks but no spin....dang. I thought I was gonna get fire.

IP Logged
hangsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa ont
Reply #14 - 02/21/14 at 13:22:01

So... Im guessing it's not a good idea to try to jump start a motorcycle off a car. Took my starter apart. Care to guess what I found inside? That's right... Broken magnet parts. Dang. So trying to start it is on hold for now. Time to try and sort out other issues on this machine. Signals come on but don't flash and the front caliper came in a separate box. So on to it I guess.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:33:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Self starter drained battery...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.