Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #60 - 03/26/14 at 17:00:08

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/ecs-liva-mini-pc-tiny-bay-trail-desktop-200.html

First Shot out of the Chinese Cheapie Guys

No, it isn't a chrome box, it has no OS at all.

Specs are:  Taiwan-based ECS has unveiled a new mini-desktop PC with an Intel Atom Bay Trail-M processor and it has 2GB of RAM, 32GB of eMMC flash storage, 1 USB 3.0 port, 1 USB 2.0 port, HDMI, VGA and Ethernet jacks, and 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0. Unfortunately the memory and storage are not upgradeable — they’re soldered to the motherboard.

If it starts out at $200 it will quickly drop down to a competitive $179 and then slowly go down below that some.

"At launch the ECS LIVA will support Windows 8.1, but the company says support for Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux are also in the works."

Now that Asus has shown the way, there will be a plethora of cheap little PC boxes hitting the market very very quickly.

===========================

The very least of the ARM processors that can do this Chromebox duty are out now, that being Rockchip's RK3288 (quad core A17 with Mali T760 4 core graphics engine).    This chip is cheap, readily available and it makes a dual core Exynos chipset look sick in comparison.

Look for Samsung and HP to upgrade their ARM based Chromebox products to better, more powerful A17 (and upwards, up to Hexa and Octa core chipsets) ASAP.    

Because the low end is called out now by the A17 generation from Rockchip and Media Tek, also look for HD accelerated graphics output to be available in the new low end ARM Chromeboxes from the very beginning.

Also look for stick PCs to carry this same chipset starting very soon.

Look for the Intel Bay Trail, Haswell and Merrifield chipsets to keep going into these boxes as well, for just as long as Intel is giving "free money" away if you use their chipset products anyway.

Microsoft is giving away free Win 8.1 to those OEMs that are making sub $250 devices -- the intent here is to bribe the OEM to not use Chrome OS, but instead to lock himself into using Windows 8.1 by giving it to him for free for a while.    

Bad news is that Win 8.1 for ARM plumb sucks ditchwater, so it really isn't working out for MS the way they wish it would.   Nobody is taking them up on their offer.

Can the old school big boys really bribe the oriental vendors to stay away from Chrome OS?

Wink      Hah ......  the orientals will take their bribe, and their wristwatch and their shirtsleeve, then go do whatever the heck it was they were going to do before anyway.

« Last Edit: 03/30/14 at 14:18:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #61 - 03/29/14 at 05:23:43

Well, first waves of Asus Chrome boxes have shipped to the end users and been all unboxed and installed.  

Reviews at New Egg are positive but relatively sparse in number.

Amazon is more prolific, lots & lots of reviews on Amazon with more rolling in all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/product-reviews/B00IT...

Prices have just jumped up from $179 due to the extreme demand and the low supply flow from Asus (they weren't expecting a run-away hit like this).  New Egg is $199.99 and Amazon is out of stock and selling a few from other suppliers at $219.

Read a few reviews from Amazon, especially the lower star reviews to get a feel for the thing once you get past the glitz and glitter.

Lots of folks bought it to make an Ubuntu machine out of it, that is a fact.   But not the majority -- most bought it because they have chromebooks and REALLY LIKE the Google-centric lifestyle.

Still, you read a few reviews from old folks using it for the first time as a Chrome OS device and being all happy with it too.

======================

PS    Fry's Electronics still will sell you one for $179.

http://www.frys.com/product/8047974?source=googleps&gclid=CI3VrMHft70CFe1QOgo...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #62 - 03/31/14 at 12:08:38

Hmmm, not sure about the chromebox for my usage now, I do tend to leav my comp on for hours on end, and at least one reviewers says you can't do that, or it gets too hot
add in an extra $50 for the keyboard and mouse (I have a keyboard and mouse for my current setup) and the fact everyone is sold out, and it gets to be a questionable decision

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 03/31/14 at 17:51:18

Art Webb wrote on 03/31/14 at 12:08:38:
Hmmm, not sure about the chromebox for my usage now, I do tend to leav my comp on for hours on end, and at least one reviewers says you can't do that, or it gets too hot
add in an extra $50 for the keyboard and mouse (I have a keyboard and mouse for my current setup) and the fact everyone is sold out, and it gets to be a questionable decision

Give us the reference link for this overheating test "information" please  --- the Asus Chrome boxes all actually shipped with the enlarged heat sink and the variable speed fan that is intended to support the yet to come Intel Core I-3 and Core I-7 processors.  

The thought that any mobile tablet class Intel chip is going to "overheat" the unit with that large heat sink and variable speed sensor controlled fan set up is kinda sorta out there, don't 'cha think?

Or is the person just trying to say the fan actually sped up on him when he was twisting on its tit hard?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #64 - 03/31/14 at 20:12:30

It was just one of the reviews on amazon, i don't think the guy ran a test perse, he just said it gets too hot, let me find the review

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/product-reviews/B00IT...

the only other less than 5 star rating was obviously an idiot that expected it to be a touch screen unit

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 04/01/14 at 15:07:44

Been keeping an eye out for $179 Asus Chromeboxes that are actually shipping.   Found this, but kinda sorta don't trust them totally for telling the actual factual on the situation.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=89...

Still, you could ask them if it was for real if you wanted to get a Chromebox actually at  your house before XP goes tits up in 7 days.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #66 - 04/01/14 at 15:20:22

well I already use google chrome as my browser, so I'd probably be pretty comfy with the OS, of course there's still the issue of an extra $50 for the keyboard and mouse, without which it's just a box  Grin
if they have the right ones for the chromebox

oops reread the ad, not available for immediate shipmt, pre-order to reserve

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #67 - 04/01/14 at 15:34:24

You can use the custom Asus bluetooth keyboard and mouse if you are looking to lose your mouse's tail and just have to have the custom marked keys for all the Chrome functions.    But good luck on actually getting one any time soon.

But remember, the standard USB stuff works fine, it just lacks the keyboard notations that are Chrome keyboard exclusives right now.

Yeah, I see where TigerDirect added the pre-order note -- typical TigerDirect misdirection in the original ad I am afraid .... I sorta expected it was too good to be true and said so in the original post.

Kudos for Amazon, they got some real customer feedback shite for not shipping on time so they pulled THEIR OWN ADS for the product until production levels catches up and they are in actual stock again at Amazon warehouses.  

However, Amazon's system is still letting the gougers sell jacked up price units on the Amazon site though, which will continue the Amazon feelings of a customer relations "black eye" for a bit.

Fact is Asus has a hit on their hands, way beyond their ability to buy components and assemble units.

It takes time to set up a 3x quantity bump through the supply chain and set up two additional assembly lines.    And even then, it might not be enough in the short term.

Microsoft has set up the conditions for a perfect storm, and storming it is.   The winds of change are blowing at gale force right now.

Directly away
from MS and their Win 8.x products, that is ....

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 16:36:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #68 - 04/01/14 at 15:57:39

Maybe I should just get the chromebook, I knoe it's available through WM for $200 (if XP doom hasn't messed that up) and it will use wired internet from what I've heard
I dunno, still thinking here, might be the best move I could make

hell maybe a tablet and wireless router

this 9" might be ok http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nobis-9-Tablet-8-GB-Memory-Bonus-Case-Keyboard/3416...

not so sure about security with these though, chromebook or box is safe

my existing keyboard and mouse are not USB
they be old school

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 04/01/14 at 16:13:04

Up to you, you got 3-4 options available to you now, or you can just ponder upon it until the XP box finally dies on you, then you will still have at least 3 of the 4 options still available to you.

But do back up any pictures or such that you would consider worth the effort to restore if you lost them to a worm attack.    Put them on a thumb drive and stick it in a drawer and don't use it again.

They are custom hot house growing them XP end of life worms to some really gigantic proportions you know.

Them nasty worm masters want to kill off fully 1/3 of the Windows machines just as quickly as they can, so MS can go make a new sawbuck off of you again.

Sad thing is it won't be MS that gets the resulting flood of new machine orders -- they have put a bullet in their own feet by doing this dirty trick right now.

Look to see Apple take another up-tick in the USA as folks are getting plumb tired of MS's rotten shenanigans.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #70 - 04/01/14 at 16:20:29

I  just thought of something, can you run a Tablet off your mobileweb service?
like teather it to your smartphone and run it through that?
oh, how secure would the Tablet be?
Android is sorta linnux based, yes?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #71 - 04/01/14 at 16:23:57

If your phone is capable of being a "hot spot", then yes you can use your tablet with it, it should recognize the network connection.

But...you have to remember, you are going to be limited to how much data you can store and your phone plan should reflect how many bits of data you use per month.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #72 - 04/01/14 at 16:24:51

Android is Linux.  You can tether a tablet off of a smart phone, most good smart phones do have that feature but the true unlimited data plans are so pricey not many folks are doing what you are talking about.   And the speed isn't always wonderful when you get into a weak or dead zone.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #73 - 04/01/14 at 16:27:25

my phone is Straight Talk LG L38C, unlimited data talk and text for 45 bux a month, just not sure about tethering it, as in how to do it, and if it can do it
if it can, I could use my mobileweb and turn off regular internet entirely

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 04/01/14 at 16:42:02

Be careful tethering on Straight Talk.    

I use a family plan with Verizon and we have to be careful to only do movies on Wifi connect or else we get a pinged with a nasty message about 2 minutes into the movie about "excessive data usage".   Then they pound you with messages about "opportunities to increase your service plan level" then they bust your chops with ads for the next half a year since apparently you do really need a better plan.

"Actually they can tell if you are tethering or not, there is a diagnostic code on your phone that they can dial into and see where the data is going if it is going through wifi or just the phone. Verizon has busted people for this very issue. But from what I understand Straight Talk does not take kindly to tethering, a buddy of mine was cut off after using only 6GB on his for tethering, and my old ST phone when I had it was cut off after two movies on Netflix, BTW I wasn't tethering either, so I guess even though they have a way of telling, they just cut people off if they go over so much bandwidth, I also think it relates to your location too and how much bandwidth is being pulled in that area. "

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 02:37:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.