Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
compression (Read 56 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
compression
02/02/14 at 10:34:27

Having sorted a few electrical and carb problems I now seem to have encountered a few mechanical ones . The bike starts up and then dies and wont start again and the decomp unit doesn't seem to be closing the valve properly ( the bike started when I pressed down on the decomp arm situated on the head once, then woudn't start again ) so maybe they need cleaning etc. also I have a motobatt battery ( which are supposed to be good ) but when trying to start it the starter motor  doesn't seem to spin the engine too fast even with the valves open, but as I dont know anyone else with a savage to compare it too does anyone know how fast it should be and could the starter motor be a bit tired. I dont want to remove the head if I can help it so if its the starter motor or something else rather than the valves I would be happy  I hope all this makes sense and I apologize if not

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: compression
Reply #1 - 02/02/14 at 10:56:54

Check yer' battery... and cable connections... (how many amps is the Motobatt?)..
Make sure that decomp cable has a bit of slack.. (you should be able to push on it with a finger and get some cable movement without it actuating the lever)... (also lube the lever)...
The decomp doesn't use it's own valve,.. it just lifts the exhaust valve....

PS.. if the engine is turning slowly with the starter,.. you definitely don't have a compression problem...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/02/14 at 11:16:43

You're asking us to get on this horse in the middle of a stream.
and the horse is well under water.

you need air fuel and fire.
it fired once, but check each connection
also, while the starter going, the volts will drop, if it drops below 10v, it won't start.

A fire once and die could be a fuel issue, the float valve will stick on occasion, rap the carb bowl with the plastic handle to free it up.

check the air filter, if it's wet, it'll choke off the air.

WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #3 - 02/02/14 at 11:24:54

OK cheers Serowbot will check that, battery 16.5 amp, checked the spark and it's sparking ( not Frankenstein-like but definitely there ) put fuel straight into carb just in case its a fuel to carb thing and the plug gets wet, carb is Lancers carb kit petcock is raptor,checked air filter clear and dry.The reason we thought it was comp was as soon as my mate pressed hard down on the decomp arm thereby allowing exhaust valve to  it started up instantly but then it died again. We are changing the connections on the battery in case its them but I am just throwing out other ideas in case I hit lucky, I read on this forum about people having probs with in-line filters ,is that on the original fuel tap or does it happen on the one I've got too ?

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/02/14 at 11:50:11

On either fuel tap, the flow is gravity feed only, so it can happen with either...
I don't use a filter for that reason... not on a gravity feed pet...
just one more thing to leave you stranded..
If you want one,... you might consider removing it temporarily just for troubleshooting purposes, then put it back once you are sorted out...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 02/02/14 at 11:51:01

Steddy58 wrote on 02/02/14 at 11:24:54:
I read on this forum about people having probs with in-line filters ,is that on the original fuel tap or does it happen on the one I've got too ?

The inline filter problem I had (an others) was with the Raptor petcock. I'd remove it and see if it starts without it.  You might have just enough trickle through it to start once but not keep running or start again. That's a REALLY cheap diagnostic.  Wink

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 02/02/14 at 12:14:35

S-P wrote on 02/02/14 at 11:51:01:
Steddy58 wrote on 02/02/14 at 11:24:54:
I read on this forum about people having probs with in-line filters ,is that on the original fuel tap or does it happen on the one I've got too ?

The inline filter problem I had (an others) was with the Raptor petcock. I'd remove it and see if it starts without it.  You might have just enough trickle through it to start once but not keep running or start again. That's a REALLY cheap diagnostic.  Wink

My fingers are crossed Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:01:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.