Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why mtr can't idle long? Why oil chng "fixed" it? (Read 124 times)
DnR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dallas, TX
Why mtr can't idle long? Why oil chng "fixed" it?
02/01/14 at 18:27:54

Looking for some wisdom.  Recently purchased a stock 2007 S40 with 4500 miles.  Was concerned bike would not idle for prolonged period even in 40F weather.  Appears to be cured now, but want to understand why.  Sequence of events follows.

Engine would not idle for more than 15 to 20 minutes.  During this time, had to keep increasing throttle with idle adj screw until it was all the way in.  Revving motor suggested plug was not getting fouled.  After engine stalled or I shut it down, it appeared to turn over just fine.

Found vacuum fuel valve was not closing when engine off and possibly that flow through valve was being restricted regardless of valve setting.

Found rubber seat for the vacuum valve was badly misshaped.  I pulled out the seat and made sure fuel appeared to flow freely after it was installed.  

Have resorted to pinching the fuel line to shut off fuel until I replace with the manual valve.

Engine would not start after changes to fuel valve.

Removed the plug.  It was wet with fuel.  Found engine has been running rich.  (Was expecting it to show lean running.)  Drained the gas from the carb and cranked the engine for a bit with plug removed.  

Put cleaned and gapped plug back in.  Engine started immediately.

Tried to let engine idle again but still wanted more and more gas to idle.  

Began to worry that there was gas in the oil.

Drained oil and found it had a strong gasoline odor.  Yikes!

Put in fresh oil and filter, ran the engine, drained the oil again, and put in more fresh oil.   Engine seemed to be running smoother but it was subtle if at all.

Tried letting engine idle again.  Found idle screw wanted to be adjusted further out when cold, less throttle, compared to before.  Engine idled for 30 minutes with no need to touch the idle screw.  Life is good.

Why wouldn’t the engine idle before?

2007 S40, Stock (so far)
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Why mtr can't idle long? Why oil chng "fixed"
Reply #1 - 02/01/14 at 19:34:07

Check the vacuum line from the right hand side of the carb that goes in to the petc0ck.
To test it, cap the vacuum at the carb, and run on PRI.
The stock vacuum line is little more than a soda straw, and it will begin to crack, right about at 4-5k miles.
If that test works (idle steady), then replace the vacuum line with automotive fuel hose.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #2 - 02/01/14 at 20:35:36

Why would you want to idle your motor for 30 min? Asking for it to over heat.

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/01/14 at 20:49:38

Cloudy wrote on 02/01/14 at 20:35:36:
Why would you want to idle your motor for 30 min? Asking for it to over heat.

+1... that's not good for an air-cooled motor...

Stock vacuum petcocks are notorious for failing.. replace it with a Yamaha Raptor 660 manual pet...
See the Tech section for more instruction...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Why mtr can't idle long? Why oil chng
Reply #4 - 02/02/14 at 04:13:48

The Savage engine does not have much oil flow at idle, and if your idle is too low......the pump does not flow enough oil to send oil up to the top end.  This forum has experienced several ruined top ends (cam bearings) from engines run with too low of idle speed.

You really should not run (or idle) an engine for more than a few minutes without riding it and gettting some cooling air flow to the engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 02/02/14 at 04:49:48

Yea air cooled engines don't really like sitting still for too long, especially singles   Huh   When stopped at a RR crossing and a freight train starts rolling by turn that thumper off   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 02/02/14 at 11:34:26

I'd love to know how they test cooling on these engines. I've never seen anything from the factory about heating while stopped or idle times.

I am of the opinion that a good air cooled engine should be able to idle indefinitely without overheating.  If it has forced air cooling it should run at any speed without overheating.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/02/14 at 12:19:51

Motorcycles  crawling along at parade speeds have long been known to overheat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Why mtr can't idle long? Why oil chng
Reply #8 - 02/03/14 at 10:08:50

You are stating that you adj the idle adj screw all the way in.... left side carb knob with spring?

Did you try to adj. you air/fuel mix screw? ...right side carb standard screw..has a cap over it.

Definitely replace your vacuum petc0ck with a manual one, it will keep the gas in your crankcase from happening again in your future (well, if you turn it off everytime..minor inconvenience).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:49:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why mtr can't idle long? Why oil chng "fixed" it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.