Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dyna Muffler (Read 262 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Dyna Muffler
01/28/14 at 07:52:12

I'm looking to do the dyna muffler conversion.  For anyone who may have done it do you know specifically which muffler to look for?  Over the years they have made a number of different dyna models.   Thanks and best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dyna Muffler
Reply #1 - 01/28/14 at 08:44:51

The Technical Section and the Table of Contents with links can be very useful and informative.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/28/14 at 09:39:34

Just try to find one of the older ones that doesn't have the cross pipe.  Otherwise, you'll have to weld the hole shut.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/28/14 at 09:44:27

And if you don't want a muffler with a catalytic convertor inside - be careful what you buy from the California area.  The mufflers don't seem to hurt performance - but they to tend to turn blue and other heat related colors at the font of the pipe where the converter is located.

The non-catalytic mufflers have a large 1-1/4" tube if you look into the entrance of the muffler - while the catalytic ones have a honeycomb looking mesh with small holes visible just inside the muffler intlet end.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #4 - 01/28/14 at 15:38:15

Aida's has a cat in it, and I love it!  There is a cool orange glow from the pipe when I follow her. Smiley  And it has a heat shield to hide the bluing. Smiley

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 01/28/14 at 16:32:50

Yeah, I read that thread in the tech section.  There is a whole lot of great info there.  I went to ebay today and they had a bunch of different stuff.  I don't want to order something to find out it isn't going to fit well.  And then I'll have to figure out the proper jet settings and probably have to spend more extra $ than necessary.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 01/29/14 at 16:45:45

Go to a local Harley dealer and ask to buy a pull from the pile.  They will have a big pile.  I paid $20.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 01/29/14 at 17:05:25

Sounds good except finding a close dealer.  I got a flat tire a 100 yards from the local hd and they wouldn't help me.   Angry  I'll have to go 1.5 hours to get to the next closest one.  The real important part is that it has the baffles, is that correct?  Did you have to rejet it to make it run right?

HD  65747-94

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #8 - 01/29/14 at 17:30:59

The "baffle" on these mufflers is merely a single plate the blocks the tube running through the muffler core.  This forces the exhaust to go around the plate and into the baffles that are internally built into the muffler.  Sometimes this plate (disk) can fall out or be knocked out via a broomstick and hammer by some enterprising owner seeking more noise. My understanding from others on this site is that if the plate is missing, it can be replaced by driving a proper sized auto engine freeze plug down the inlet of the muffler, thus restoring factory baffling.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/29/14 at 20:56:25

Do I understand correctly, that since dyna differs from stock muffler overall performance would become worse? With stock muffler folks claim to have 50mpg, what mpg can be expected with dyna?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/29/14 at 21:20:18

MPG is the same or better... performance gains from just a muffler change are minimal...(mostly just feels more powerful because of the nicer sound)...
...but, breathing is definitely not reduced... so, there may be some actual HP gain...
Mostly,.. it's just a better made, nicer chrome, lighter, and better sounding muffler... that alone is worth the price...

The stock muffler is restricted to meet required noise levels... it's not tuned to perform...
Harley seems to get away with higher noise levels... I don't know how or why...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/29/14 at 21:37:51

I'm confused. If after installing dyna I need to use bigger jet how I can get better mpg?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/29/14 at 21:44:35

if you change the muf to a lower back pressure, it'll lean out the fuel mix.
this why you change the jet, to get it back to optimum.
so done right, mpg will remain the same.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 01/29/14 at 21:51:31

There is an optimal tune for MPG's,.. and a different one for HP,... and yet a different one for street performance... and another one to meet EPA emission and noise regulations...

An open pipe would make max HP at full throttle and be good for drag racing with a high rev launch, but it would barely idle...

A certain amount of tuning will remove EPA restrictions, and make the bike breathe better... without hurting MPG's or narrowing torque... all you are doing is correcting factory restrictions...
Even with a bigger jet,... if you are making the engine more efficient by removing restrictions only intended to reduce noise and emissions, you can get better MPG and power...
You will just use less throttle at a given speed...
If you start to go further... you will begin trading MPG for power, and HP for torqueband width...

You tune for how you ride... most of us, like stop and go, and curves and hills...  so we tend to recommend mild changes that will retain good torque...
Thumpers do well in that environment...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/29/14 at 22:55:26

Thanks a lot for clarification Verslagen and Serowbot, this makes perfect sense.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:36:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.