Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shafted by the mainshaft!? How bad? (Read 97 times)
Klobchar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shafted by the mainshaft!? How bad?
01/17/14 at 16:40:27

Ok. So I bought my '95 halfway through last season. I decided (stupid) to rock out with it the remainder of the season before doing a whole lot to it. Season ended. I am a manager at a CNC shop doing mostly aerospace work, so I decided to take it to my shop. After reading most of the post in this forum, I knew the mods I wanted to execute. I ripped it down to the frame and ordered a boat load of new parts....the fun began. I pulled clutch cover and noticed at 24000 miles I got lucky by a few thousandths. I machined a new cam chain tensioner. Turned out great. (If anyone's interested, I suggest you contact Versey....I don't step on toes). Plugged vacuum and opted for the raptor 660 petcock. K&N Cone filter. Deletion of airbox, and in the midst of making a multi chamber compartment to fit nicely in frame while housing the juice box and wires...perhaps a little stash spot as well Wink and at the same time keeping the side covers (Maybe...I might machine my own style side covers). I used the stock seats....however I ripped about 40% of the foam out and replaced it with gel...then covered them with the saddleman covers. I rebuilt the carb. I bubble gummed it together because I deleted the Jardine pipe with a reverse megaphone.....not that it wasnt running lean to began with. I also got the rattlesnake ceramic wrap for the header. bought new battery. new spark plug. retimed valves. pulled head off and fixed the river of oil coming from the bolt plug. Seat mod. bought fork boots. bought aftermarket turn signals. bought aftermarket headlight. bought aftermarket grips. bought aftermarket pegs. bought aftermarket levers. bought new brakes. Bought VHT primer and VHT paint. Ok ok ok.....you get the idea right? I am sure there is more....thats what I can remember off the top of my head......Ok, so I am at the point of cleaning the motor and polishing. The frame, tank, fenders, and about 6 other small parts are boxed up ready to go down and get powdercoated. I polished a few parts already....today I decided to polish the forks and starter braket. In the process of pulling bracket I decided hell, might as well rip this pully off while I am here.....Underneath was what I can only describe as an uppercut to the face. The darn mainshaft is torn to hell. I don't know if I feel comfortable cracking the case and to the best of my knowledge....there is no other way. So did my dream turned to a boat anchor? Is there another way? How long does she have to live? I am wondering if I can fill the gaps with some carbonated fill by welding? Perhaps even welding every tooth together even for she dont budge. Perhaps some kind of hardener will fill the gaps....like a high power locktite formula. I need you guys on this one......how bad is it? There is alot of play.....

http://p1.bikepics.com/2014%5C01%5C17%5Cbikepics-2633685-320.jpg

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Shafted by the mainshaft!? How bad?
Reply #1 - 01/17/14 at 18:31:06

I happen to have a 95 motor that a guy threw the cam chain and started re-working and gave up. I was thinking about parting out the motor. The cam is toast, but the jug, piston, head and bottom end seem still good. If you're interested in the bottom end I'll be glad to part with it. PM me with an email address and I'll send you some pictures.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/17/14 at 18:42:43

I got one like that.
I'm thinking of machining a groove and drilling a hole into the groove from the side of the pulley.  Then filling the groove and essentially all of the gaps with JB weld.

that way if you want to remove the pulley you can take a torch to it.

WWW   IP Logged
Klobchar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/17/14 at 19:03:29

verslagen1 wrote on 01/17/14 at 18:42:43:
I got one like that.
I'm thinking of machining a groove and drilling a hole into the groove from the side of the pulley.  Then filling the groove and essentially all of the gaps with JB weld.

that way if you want to remove the pulley you can take a torch to it.

interesting. That may indeed work.....atleast for umpteen thousand miles. I found an article that this guy (Probably a foruom member here) had a similiar issue with his Ryca CS-1. He took the shaft to failure three times....one natural from the nut backing off(22000 miles).... one with the red locktite 660 liquid metal method(5500 more)...finally he just welded it and got another 3000 out of it. here is the URL: http://www.tailfinconsulting.com/ryca

IP Logged
Klobchar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/17/14 at 19:06:06

S-P wrote on 01/17/14 at 18:31:06:
I happen to have a 95 motor that a guy threw the cam chain and started re-working and gave up. I was thinking about parting out the motor. The cam is toast, but the jug, piston, head and bottom end seem still good. If you're interested in the bottom end I'll be glad to part with it. PM me with an email address and I'll send you some pictures.

S-P: Please PM me....I am unable to PM for a few more post. I am interested in that bottom end.........wait a min  Undecided I gotta admit.....never thought I would say that to another man Huh lol

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 01/17/14 at 19:38:33

S-P: Please PM me....I am unable to PM for a few more post. I am interested in that bottom end.........wait a min  Undecided I gotta admit.....never thought I would say that to another man Huh lol [/quote]

HAHAHAHAA!! Now THAT is funny! Email me at sevp.robinson@gmaildotcom.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/17/14 at 21:51:18

You perves!...  Huh...
Okay,.. just work it out between yourselves, and don't tell me about it...
I don't wanna' know...
Grin Grin Grin...

PS... to others looking in... I just warned "doubloshoe", in another thread,... about the front pulley nut noise being potentially damaging...
If you hear a clicking/squeaking,.. and  can't find it..
Check that front pulley...
If it is the slightest bit loose, it will eat the shaft splines...
Keep that puppy super snug... (mine kept coming loose when tightened to spec...  I've got it at 130lbs plus now... not sure exactly, I used my impact wrench.  but, it's remained tight for over a year)...(the foldover washer can't be trusted)...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Klobchar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/18/14 at 08:00:55

Please don't take Serowbot's warning lightly!! I would say that checking the torque on that nut is most def one of the most  important maintenance checks one can do.

I recommend the following for EVERYone....new and old. Paint the inside of the front pully and etch a mark from the bolt to the pully wall....check that etch OFTEN. Perhaps every time you get gas. The washer will not protect you. once that nut backs up enough...the washer is frivolous. it only takes a couple thousandths of an inch for that to ruin your entire machine.

In hindsight, I recall removing the nut with a 1/2" drive...without the rear tire on....by myself....second try, no heat, no cheater bar. In other words....it was wayyy to loose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:39:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shafted by the mainshaft!? How bad?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.