Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
head intake bolts center to center, 70 or 72mm?? (Read 101 times)
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

head intake bolts center to center, 70 or 72mm??
12/30/13 at 06:42:33

well im looking to get the proper intake flange for my new vm36 carb... well i hope not to end up sounding silly here but Ive now measured the head intake bolt center to center holes twice... i get 72mm....
But every part Ive found, as well as ever post Ive found mentions a part that measures 70mm... such as M-VM36-200
now it's rubber so such a small deviation should not be an issue, but id rather get the ideal part if it even exists.

so what is the story here, or have i entirely lost the ability to read my caliper???  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: 12/30/13 at 10:55:57 by axa »  
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: head intake bolt measurement 70 or 72mm??
Reply #1 - 12/30/13 at 08:36:06

Well, bottom line, it's better to be 2mm too short than too long if it's going to bottom out in the hole.  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/30/13 at 09:16:53

S-P wrote on 12/30/13 at 08:36:06:
Well, bottom line, it's better to be 2mm too short than too long if it's going to bottom out in the hole.  Wink

He is looking for the center to center distance between the holes on the flange......not length of bolt.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 12/30/13 at 10:42:15

Dang bi-focals..... Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: head intake bolts center to center, 70 or 72mm
Reply #4 - 12/30/13 at 22:28:09

2 bolts, 4 nuts, put the bolts in centered up, nuts on both sides, then measure from inside of one bolt to outside of the other. Thats the distance, center to center.;

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/31/13 at 05:17:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/30/13 at 22:28:09:
2 bolts, 4 nuts, put the bolts in centered up, nuts on both sides, then measure from inside of one bolt to outside of the other. Thats the distance, center to center.;

that or just 2 bolts alone, measure outside to outside, then subtract the diameter of the bolt...
i get it, but no matter how this measurement is made, it comes out to 72mm.  Every part ive found measures 70mm.

Does anyone have a part number the vm36 manifold we use on this bike?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/06/14 at 11:39:38

I don't know of anyone that has ordered a rubber spigot themselves.  I bought mine from Lancer.  When I looked at the price of ordering a carb from somehwere else and paying postage, then ordering a slide and the jet selection from somewhere else and paying postage, and then ordering a cable kit and paying postage and adapting it to fit....and the time I was going to spend tracking all that stuff down......I didn't feel like it was worth the few dollars I might have saved.  When I was doing my carb I was pushed for time.......and I got it installed and running with just one order from Lancer.

What size are the holes in the spigot vs. the bolt size of the Savage Cylinder?  I suspect there is enough clearance that the 70mm must work on the Savage (just a guess).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/06/14 at 18:32:18

well apparently mr Lancer is not monitoring this post or keeping the secret to himself.  his right either way.

Anyway, you can use part # M-VM36-200, i received mine the other day and its fine.
It has 8mm bolt holes, so i just plugged those and drilled out new ones, for the 6mm bolts.
But since both combinations end up to be 78mm on the outside measure, you dont really need to do this, just tightening it down tight should be suffice.

i didnt order my cable from barnett yet because i haven't finished fabricating the frame and deciding on risers, but doing this yourself will save me/you over $150.
And that includes carb, needle jet, 10 main jets, a few pilots, flange, and 75$ for a cable, but doubt a cable will cost that much.
The choice is yours, but i wouldnt say that's just a few bucks.

I suppose if your in a rush and not doing this for fun you might find it a bothersome, but i dont know many who find hot rodding a chore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › head intake bolts center to center, 70 or 72mm??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.