Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which Darkside Tire? (Info/stock comparison/poll) (Read 277 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Which Darkside Tire? (Info/stock comparison/poll)
12/31/13 at 00:36:30

Its time to get some new rubber and after many hours debating, I'm going to the darkside. I have narrowed it down to a few tires, but would like any input on them. All are for car or vintage car, except the Excelsior which is listed for motorcycles in 18" and 19" on Coker's website, but car in 15". ? Shocked? Below is some info and pics. Thanks!

For reference the stock tire is the IRC GS18
140/80-15: 24.0945" Diameter, 5.03937" Width

1. Firestone F560
135R15: 23.57" Dia., 5.00 Width
145R15: 24.30" Dia., 5.60 Width

2. Michelin XZX
135SR15: 23.50 Dia., 5.00 Width  (technically the ZX)
145R15: 24.30 Dia., 5.60 Width

3. Nankang CX668
135R15: 23.5 Dia., 5.2 Width
145R15: 24.2 Dia., 5.7 Width

4. BF Goodrich Blackwall Silvertown
500-15: 24.38 Dia., 5.10 Width

5. Excelsior All Black
550-15: 25.87 Dia., 5.25 Width

*I included two sizes on the radials because the widths match on the 135s, but the height is 1/2" short, where the 145s are about correct height, but slightly wider, and I am still going back and forth as to which would be better.*

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Which Darkside Tire? (Info/stock comparison/po
Reply #1 - 12/31/13 at 06:51:49

Well if yer set on doing it... looks like the Michelin XZX
135SR15: 23.50 Dia., 5.00 Width  (technically the ZX) is rounded better on the edges than the others, it doesn't have the definitive edge of tread that some of the others have. (better for cornering?) and at .50 shorter you wouldn't really know the height difference.

Tires to me are a "get is as you need it thing" and dark side or no doesn't matter to me.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #2 - 12/31/13 at 07:31:00

is 140-80-15 the stock rear size on the 05+? because on dunlops site when you choose this model year it defaults to a 140-90-15, which is actually what i have on. crappy thing is, i have the blue collar bobbers fender ready to go on but now i had to order a new tire for it to fit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/31/13 at 08:07:46

WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #4 - 01/01/14 at 00:08:06

Well if you're going to the dark side, I had those XZX's on my '71 Volvo 142E.  I wouldn't put anything else on... 15 years worth of 'em.  They are rated as a legitimate snow tire, or at least they were then and were great in any conditions.  I had a bunch of IPD performance stuff on it and it handled great.  Boy do I miss that car  Undecided   Pirelli P3's are are what i put on my hot rod Suby...very similar feel

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 01/01/14 at 04:13:39

I should add: I understand part of the choice in darksiding is money and a lot of these tires are just as much if not more than m/c tires, however, with these, I won't be changing it near as often so it will at least be the same financially, possibly even saving some... or at least thats my thinking.

old rider, yea my current tread is looking thin so its time

sesamestreet, the stock tire is the IRC GS18 and according to the IRC website, that's the tires dimensions. http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/ (under cruiser, then GS18)

verslagen1 and v-pilot, thanks for the info.

Also, any thoughts on Bias vs Radial for a darkside tire?

And, heres a BF Goodrich Silvertown on a Savage, 13click's. Doesn't look too bad:

I contacted him and he said he had no problems with it. As of right now I find myself leaning this way, but would love to see/hear if anyone has experience with the Excelsior, Firestone, Nankang or Michelin on a Savage.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/01/14 at 08:40:43

Here you go .....  remember the warnings about bead mounting.   Still got my wrist scar and it still hurts in cold weather.
I cover the Nankang, the BF Goodrich and the Nexxen tires.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1181496112

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1342402435/0#0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 01/01/14 at 16:39:37

How many miles would someone expect to get out of one of those?  The thought of one of those is a bit unnerving to me.  When I get on mine, I like the comfort of good brakes, good tires, and always check the mirrors.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 01/02/14 at 08:53:19

I also had Michelin XZX on my car, a big (by EU standards) FIAT 132 with a 2liter engine and auto 'box.

I highly recommend the XZX because the Others seem like they have an asymmetrical tread pattern, the kind which will push water out form one side only,
and which, IMHO, would make the bike swerve laterally under load.

Look at the tread pattern on the Firestone F560 and the Michelin ZXZ, which one would you rather have when negotiating a deep puddle?
To me, it looks like the Firestone would make the rear of the bike swerve to one side  Tongue

Just a thought...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 01/02/14 at 08:54:31

PS The Excelsior looks like it would "squirm" under load; the other pics are just too dark to see the tread pattern.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 01/02/14 at 14:46:35

Can someone offer some insight the advantages to having one of those?

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #11 - 01/02/14 at 15:28:06

pgambr, are you talking about a car tire? there are several threads and posts all over the internet talking about it. basically, its way more life out of a tire for less money (unless you're me and want a vintage tread, which negates the reasonable price). its called darksiding.

its hard to find a vintage looking tread pattern for a 15" motorcycle rim. there are a few motorcycle tires that come really close (such as the bridgestone g508 and theres a dunlop as well), but for the money, i am thinking a longer lasting car tire would be a better investment. my only hesitation right now is finding one that will be as safe as possible since my wife rides with me sometimes. so more of a rounded profile when installed.

mpescatori, thank you for the useful info, that is why i posted all this, I want to research as much as possible before laying down the money. I do like the michelin, but i also really like the bf goodrich, and since a fellow savage rider has used it, seems a safe bet. and the tread does look to be symmetrical. heres a better picture:

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 01/02/14 at 15:34:43

That's what I was guessing, thanks Nick.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 01/03/14 at 02:35:57

Nicky --- read the links you were given,  buddy.   When they refer back to origin threads, read them too.

The Mexican built BF Goodrich tire that fits on our bike has a history of breaking the bead when inflating the tire to snap the bead over the rim.  

Two of them have blown up on Savage users while mounting.   One of them chunked apart while riding due to an under-inflation episode.  Hells bells, the last blow up episode was mine and I carry an inch and a quarter scar on my wrist joint where the sharp edged steel bead cut me when the tire blew up while being inflated.

You younsters are soooooo impatient you just skim right over the stuff that can be right important to you.

If you get yourself hurt playing with that BF Goodrich tire, it will be totally your fault for using a known dangerous tire after being warned.

Nanchang tire had a high speed wobble issue due to large lateral run out in the tire itself (mebbe the next one will run true, who knows?)

You also keep asking people for advice that have NEVER USED A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE IN THEIR LIFE and you are listening to them.    The idea of taking a poll of un-knowledgeable people is really sorta ludicrous. really.

This is not a Gold Wing.   This is a Savage.   Your knowledge pool on car tires on the Savage is very limited on this particular topic.

Folks qualified to give you any serious advice on this topic are MM Ranch, me and WD.   That's all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #14 - 01/03/14 at 07:49:42

Thanks Oldfeller. I saw the bf goodrich radial. But I didn't read anything about this one. Must have "skimmed" over it.  Grin

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which Darkside Tire? (Info/stock comparison/poll)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.