Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage. (Read 510 times)
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage.
12/26/13 at 12:29:46

Trying to start from the begining. I picked up this 1999 Savage ls650. Guy before me said he rode it around the block a few times when he bought it and heard the timing chain making noise so he shut it down. Hes a friend of mine so i trusted that much. I took the bike and got a aftermarket timing chain tensioner put on it. Ive got the bike back together and it wont start. I have some knowledge on bikes myself. The bike has spark at plug. Cleaned carb twice now with cleaner and compressed air. All jets are clean and are still stock settings. It just cranks and cranks and wont start. Any help would be great. Thanks
I just bought a brand new battery today so im going to see if that helps.
I had it hooked up to my truck with cables but it still wouldnt hit.

Id rather die screaming holy nuts what a ride
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Re: Lets see if this forum can help me and my sava
Reply #1 - 12/26/13 at 12:31:21

Pulled spark plug - dipped in fuel put it back in immediatly tried to start and still nothing.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/26/13 at 13:27:32

Do you know if the DC solenoid is operating correctly? Have you tried starting fluid? If the plug is good, it has compression and is getting fuel in the chamber then the only other option is timing. Could you have the cam 180* out? Are the lifters in proper shape and operating correctly(pull the top site windows when you turn the bike over)?

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #3 - 12/26/13 at 13:43:00

The DC silenoid seems to operating correctly. I havnt tried starting fluid. I have 2 brand new plugs ive tried assuming one might be bad. I didnt touch the timing chain itself and am assuming it didnt get thrown off a tooth. Does anyone know if the battery silenoid/start silenoid has to be grounded to the rear fender for it to start as the rear fender isnt on the bike?

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #4 - 12/26/13 at 13:44:43

Ill take my compression tester and see what she throws on there tonight and im going to get some starting fluid and see if that helps.
The rear fender is the only thing i havnt put back on the bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/26/13 at 14:09:34

All questions about savages go in RSD

WWW   IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #6 - 12/26/13 at 14:20:40

sorry didnt see that. newbie here. i made a new post

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage.
Reply #7 - 12/26/13 at 14:19:20

Picked up a 99savage ls 650 replaced the timing chain tensioner with a aftermarket one after a friend said he had it running and heard the noise coming from the tensioner and then shut it down. I purchased to rebuild it and now it wont start. Ive cleaned the carb with compressed air and cleaner. Bought a new battery today as i just had it hooked up to my truck with cables. The bike is back together now. It has great spark with a brand new plug. I havnt tried starter fluid yet but will tonight. Ive dipped the plug in fuel and immediatly put it in and still no start. The only thing i dont have on the bike is the rear fender and that being said the battery silenoid/starter silenoid isnt grounded. Does it need to be? Im going to do a compression test on it tonight. ANY help at all would be great. Ive built my fair share of bikes so i have some knowledge on them but this thing has gotten under my skin lol.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/26/13 at 16:45:58

Seeing that you have a good spark then it should fire right up with the starting fluid, at least for a couple seconds.  Between the starter fluid and the planned compression test it shouldn't be too hard to narrow down the problem.  Sounds like you have experience with this sort of thing.

The starter relay and the decompression solenoid are not grounded to the body, the battery, the starter motor, and I think the neutral switch are grounded.  Since the starter cranks it and you can see a spark I doubt that it is a ground problem.  Do you have fresh fuel in it?  And is the fuel supply from the tank to the float bowel good?  The stock petcock is vacuum actuated and a leak in that vacuum line or within the petcock can be a problem.

Did you buy the Versy tensioner?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #9 - 12/26/13 at 18:41:21

I have fresh fuel in it. It is having a petcock issue but from what Ive read on here I can block the vac ports and set the petcock to prime and yes it feels the bowl up and does release fuel from the drain bolt. Which Ive done.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 12/26/13 at 20:07:27

I recently pulled mine apart to put in a new cam chain tensioner and a couple other things and it wouldn't start. I put the Raptor petcock on too. I ended up having to use starting fluid to get it started first thing in the morning (poked a tiny hole in the air filter and used a WD40 tube nozzle to shoot it into the carb, let it sit for about a minute to evaporate), after that it would start fine the rest of the day. That made me think there might have been a flooding issue letting it sit overnight so I was sure I turned off the petcock before I shut the bike down to burn off some of the gas in the line and float bowl.  I adjusted the valves and put in a new plug and now it starts OK without starter fluid in the AM. Not sure how and if all that was related.  Good luck!

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/26/13 at 20:30:46

The only electronics bolted to the rear fender are the rectifier and rear lights. Since you are getting spark then it probably isn't an electrical issue. The Savage I'm building starts without the DC solenoid attached. If the solenoid is keeping the valves open all the time then that is your issue. If that isn't the problem and the timing is correct then it comes down to fuel. You do have an air filter on it, correct? Any pictures of the failed timing tensioner? Is it possible that the noise he heard was actually an issue with the decompression system?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/26/13 at 22:15:29

Its easy to get a bgreat spark when the starter isnt pulling the motor thru compression. If the battery isnt at 12.5 or better, charge it, do it slow & easy.

Did you pull the chain off or just replace the tensioner?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #13 - 12/27/13 at 06:19:19

I had to wait and charge the battery lastnight after i filled it so I didnt get to try and start it lastnight. I will for sure tonight after work. I didnt replace the chain itself. So can I just remove the compression cable itself from where it hooked up and try to start it? I do have a air filter in the bike. I can take pics of the tensioner tonight. It didnt look bad but was extended to wear it almost was going to fall out. Do you think the chain is stretched to much to run safely? Thanks

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #14 - 12/27/13 at 09:34:34

Check this topic:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

That's what mine looked like when I pulled the side cover. I parked it and did the modified adjuster. It's not worth taking a chance having it fall apart and having to get a new engine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.