Parts bike purchase (Read 187 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Parts bike purchase
12/27/13 at 14:47:13

I just picked up a basket case 2005 with 25K showing on the odometer for a couple hundred bucks. [img][/img]

The cylinder has no ridges or scoring. The cam shaft has some scoring on the shaft where it rides in the cylinder head, otherwise the cam lobes look decent. The rocker arms have a little flat spot I can feel.  It looks like the chain tensioner went south but no major damage to the inside of the case. I haven't pulled the chain out to see where it is, but I'm thinking just replace it.

So, I'm thinking of re-building this one and replacing the 1986 motor in my current ride. Any thoughts on the cam and head related stuff (valves, rings, rocker arms etc?)

I doubt I'll keep the hard tailed frame and other stuff. Not sure if it's worth much to anyone but if anyone sees this and is interested let me know.
Thanks!

parts.jpg
  IP Logged
SSG
YaBB Newbies

Keep Calm and Chive
On!!!

Ft. Bragg
Re: Parts bike purchase
Reply #1 - 12/27/13 at 18:15:58

I am interested in the hard tail struts. Can you post some closer pictures of them?
Thanos

96 bobber, raptor petcock, cone filter, 14k miles,
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/27/13 at 22:47:36

The cam shaft has some scoring on the shaft where it rides in the cylinder head,

Thats kinda hard for me to grasp. If theres any damage to the cam, then what shape must that aluminum head & head cover have? Whatever youre seeing on the cam may have come after it was removed. Id get some dial calipers & measure each end & study them closely. Its possible youre seeing some staining or even rust ON the cam & not a low spot. A better description, maybe a pic or 2?
Of course, if youre thinking of rebuilding that motor, knowing why it was taken apart would be good, and knowing where & how all the parts were stashed would be good. Theres stuff "down in the middle" that may need inspected, & that will mean splitting the case. Unless you can check those bearings w/o holding them in your hands, or at least feel comfortable theyve been kept safe from the elements,.Doesnt take much sand to make a lasting impression on roller bearings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 12/27/13 at 23:02:04

I'm thinking you can swap what looks bad, and keep the newer engine, should bolt straight on. Heads should be the same, take the top off yer 86 and put in on the 2005? cam and all?
Heck, i'd give it a try if the guru's says it can be done....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 12/28/13 at 00:54:03

Ahhh, Nooow I get it. Cam chain tensioner let go..You got the spring that came out? If not, it may have gotten eaten, which could be a less that great thing for the engines guts. Inspect the chain guides.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 12/28/13 at 03:50:40

Im in terested in the handlebars if they aren't to rusty
msg me on here or email me at PAPiekarski@gmail.com
Im in Ny Longisland so include a shipped price
Thanks, Peter

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 12/28/13 at 07:10:39

Hey folks, I'm working today but I'll pull stuff out of the box of parts and take some pics for your expert eyes after work. JOG, yeah, I was wondering if 86 and 2005 engine parts might be interchangeable. From what I can see it looks like the chain tensioner might have gone. The owner said the guy he got it from had replaced the clutch and there's some scorings in the inside of the case around where the guides were, but the chain didn't come apart. I don't see any metal flakes in the oil draining out of the case, but some black chips at the bottom, so I'm figuring that was from one of the guides getting chewed.

I'll also take pictures of the frame and stuff I'm planning on parting out and put them over in the Marketplace to keep the moderators happy  Grin. Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/28/13 at 07:34:05

When you get a cheap bike, it may not always be the best way to get a good running engine.  It all depends on what you want to build and how much of the engine can be saved.  Gasket sets are $100 or so, rings about $50' and you may be able to salvage enough parts from your 86 motor to solve the rocker and cam issues.  The left over parts can be sold and if the head is good it is worth what you paid for the parts bike.

If you start to do the upgrades to a Wiseco piston, performance cam, and have the rockers wedded and resurfaced - you are going to add $600 to the rebuild pretty quickly.  If you want a good running stock engine, you can generally get a low mileage engine from a crashed bike for about $600 to $800, and that might cost you very little in the end if you part out your current engines.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/28/13 at 09:06:08

If youre gonna spend the time & $$$ to build an engine, at least get a hot cam in it.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 12/28/13 at 16:35:55

If you start to do the upgrades to a Wiseco piston, performance cam, and have the rockers wedded and resurfaced - you are going to add $600 to the rebuild pretty quickly.  If you want a good running stock engine, you can generally get a low mileage engine from a crashed bike for about $600 to $800, and that might cost you very little in the end if you part out your current engines. [/quote]

Dave, yeah, I'm kind of a "stock and reliable" guy, so I'm looking to "frankenstein" one good motor together and sell off the unused parts to finance any shop work I might need. I've been watching eBay and local craigslist etc. for used engines and so far it looks like I'd just be swapping unknowns.  I'd rather just build one that I KNOW is basically good.  

Quick question, if the cam and head/case are scored up are you just SOL or can you machine the head and put in a cam insert like they do on cars?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 12/28/13 at 18:01:29

I've often wondered why there are no bearing inserts available.  I know the head is made without them.  But it would certainly add longevity to otherwise useful parts if you could machine and put in inserts.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 12/28/13 at 18:32:31

Steve H wrote on 12/28/13 at 18:01:29:
I've often wondered why there are no bearing inserts available.  I know the head is made without them.  But it would certainly add longevity to otherwise useful parts if you could machine and put in inserts.

Verlagen?  How hard would it be to make something like that? If the heads are aluminum it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make an insert or maybe find something that would fit if you align bored the cam journals to fit an insert that might be plug and play.

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/30/13 at 05:40:00

SSG wrote on 12/27/13 at 18:15:58:
I am interested in the hard tail struts. Can you post some closer pictures of them?
Thanos

These things are all over ebay, that said its just a metal bar.
search for hardtail strut... one example:
http://tinyurl.com/o5ksf7h

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Toast or not?
Reply #13 - 12/30/13 at 13:59:52

Here's a couple shots of the heads. The guy definitely threw his chain, there's some pretty good scuff marks inside the cases. It looks like the middle are discolored but not scored up. The big end of the cam is pretty scored but the case doesn't look nearly as bad as the cam itself, barely any ridges. The small end looks fine.

Is it worth trying the cam journal repair (sanding the head trick)?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268452150
« Last Edit: 12/30/13 at 16:34:45 by S-P »  

cam_journal_3.jpg
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Toast or not?
Reply #14 - 12/30/13 at 14:01:09

OOPS... another picture