Send Topic Print
K&N on CV carb (Read 92 times)
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
K&N on CV carb
12/25/13 at 09:25:53

Evening savages

So im toying with the idea of removing the airbox and get an open filter..
I've read some people claiming that a CV carb doesn't run well with an open filter, and yet I've seen tons of people using it on their bikes..
Does any of you have any experiences on this subject...? I was looking for a flatslide for a second but they are so expensive and hey it got a carb allready right..  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: K&N on CV carb
Reply #1 - 12/25/13 at 11:14:08

If you want the look.....then a cone filter will provide that.  It will allow you to remove your airbox, shift your battery position, and provide more of an open look behind the carb.  It will also be a bit louder as you will hear sucking sounds the stock airbox is designed to muffle.

A cone filter alone won't do much to improve performance, and will not be as weather proof as the stock set up.  Even washing your bike may get water into the carb with an unprotected cone filter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 12/25/13 at 11:22:25

It's also for those reasons, the look but mostly for the extra space and cleaner design.. It's not to get performance, but if the bike will begin to operate unstable because of the Cv carb isn't able to run proberly with the open filter, then I'll chose to keep the box

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #3 - 12/28/13 at 09:02:39

Anyone who has an open filter who can confirm whether they think or know if it will run ok..? I have seen alot runing an open filter on their savage, but don't know if they are compromising with the looks and functionality..?

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/30/13 at 05:27:19

sounds like his concerns are about messing with the mix by removing the box, inserting a cone.

From my experiance removing an airbox, inserting a cone filter, and shortening the air path has been hit or miss, but often lead to increased flow which allowed/required a rejet.

But my experiences aren't with the ls650, so perhaps someone could give him advice if just removing the air box will increase flow (or for some crazy reason decrease it) and then he will need to rejet.
Or perhaps the bottle neck is somewhere else in the system and messing like this will not likely have an effect...

So I believe what LS6500 wants to know is the probability of needing to rejet... Or at least that is what i believe he wants to know...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/31/13 at 00:14:42

There is more to intake design than an air filter. Just as pulses bounce thru the exhaust, the intake is pulsed. Having a "volume" between the air filter & the carb is important,
On a fat single, having a little more volume than the 652CC displacement smooths that pulse & doesnt make the engine work so hard to get air to run in. Instead of going with a cone filter, I modified the filter box, cutting a divider out & increasing the volume between the filter & carb.
No water in the intake in a rain, it ran really good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/31/13 at 00:29:50

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:18:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N on CV carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.