Send Topic Print
Rear suspension swap (Read 187 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Rear suspension swap
11/25/13 at 08:39:49

After some back issues after riding bumpy roads I have decided to get a rear suspension upgrade.

I am looking to grab these:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-412-4201C-Standard-Replacement/d...

Will these compressors work on helping me with the swap?
http://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Suspension-Remover-Installer-Removal/dp/B00E...

Is there anything I should be doing before taking this on?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rear suspension swap
Reply #1 - 11/25/13 at 08:42:40

Have you considered ditching the bench seat & going with a well sprung solo seat?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/25/13 at 09:07:34

You don't need spring compressors to swap shocks... just raise the rear up enough to take weight off the rear (don't even have to be  off the ground completely)...
Once the weight is off... they will just unbolt, and bolt right up... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/25/13 at 09:55:44

At 1st, I went with the progressive standard sportster shocks trying to keep costs down.  Later, I was able to pick up 418's in the next stiffer spring rate.
I chose the 11" shocks to keep the low seat height and they offer a longer travel so you can set a softer preload and not bottom out.  I weigh about 250 decked out in my gear and I had a preload of 4 on the stock shocks.  On the 412's, I had them on the max setting.  The 418's were perfect out of the box so I don't know what they are set on, minimum I would guess.

The 412's are better than the stock shocks and the 418's are better than the 412's.

At superslab speeds, the road I travel is a challenge to the stock shocks and my back.  I had names for every bump, none of them pleasant.  Only 3 remain and the names have changes to something less derogatory and I do sit through them now.

WWW   IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 11/25/13 at 10:31:41

hmm i will consider the 418s.
I am 5'6" 145 pounds but the roads i travel often are bumpy and hurtful.

These would fit i assume:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-Series-Standard-418-1003C/dp/B00...

No bushings needed?

RE: Have you considered ditching the bench seat & going with a well sprung solo seat?

Yes I have but I double up in the summer a lot so it is useful to have.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/25/13 at 10:46:23

Coaxial wrote on 11/25/13 at 10:31:41:
No bushings needed?

I'd have to look it up in the catalog, which I can't do here.

You'll need the metric bushings vs. the standard.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 11/25/13 at 15:08:24

A bit expensive, are they worth it?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/25/13 at 15:28:55

Coaxial wrote on 11/25/13 at 10:31:41:
hmm i will consider the 418s.
I am 5'6" 145 pounds but the roads i travel often are bumpy and hurtful.

These would fit i assume:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-Series-Standard-418-1003C/dp/B00...

No bushings needed?

RE: Have you considered ditching the bench seat & going with a well sprung solo seat?

Yes I have but I double up in the summer a lot so it is useful to have.

Well,, that makes things difficult, for sure,, IDK how a solo seat & a fender perch would work out,, probably not too great,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/25/13 at 16:32:38

Be careful with the part numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

The 418-1003C shocks have a stiff spring rate, 230/275 lbs, that's heavy, very stiff.

The 412-4201C shocks that you first mentioned have a spring rate of 115/155 lbs. and that is a rate that some people on this forum have used before.

So better check the Progressive online tech sheet for spring rates before you order.  Better yet wait for someone on the forum who has used a specific shock to tell you how it worked out.  At your weight my guess is that the 4201 shock would be OK.  You can get the light spring rates in the 418 series.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 11/25/13 at 16:44:20

+1, Engineer...
Heavy duty shocks aren't better, they just handle more weight...
You're a welterweight like me... get a lighter rated shock...

A heavy shock will barely move with 140lbs on it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/25/13 at 17:07:56

I did a little more research and here is what I found.  In the older Progressive literature (I don't have the latest) there is no shock listed for the Savage but people on this forum have successfully used shocks from Harley Sportsters and Suzuki 800 Intruders which are listed in Progressive's sales literature.

I checked an older guide and the 412-4201c is the standard 11-1/2 inch replacement for the Suzuki 800 Intruder with a spring rate of 115/155 lbs.  The 412-4006b/c is the standard for the Harley Sportster with a rate of 90/130 lbs.  They have another Sportster shock, the 412-4011 b/c which is stiffer.

I use Sportster shocks that I bought cheap from a guy who lowered his Harley and they don't bottom out on me and I have them on one of the lower settings but I suspect their spring rate might be a little stiffer than the Progressive equivalent.  I weigh 165, maybe ten pounds more with gear.  

I couldn't find any 418 series shocks in that range but there are the 444 series which is a premium shock.  Try and get some more opinions.  The problem with OEM Sportster shocks is they are too wide at the eye and require machining (I have a mill and a lathe) and you have to make your own bushings.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 11/25/13 at 17:19:55

Interesting, thanks for the good post.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 11/26/13 at 14:55:18

Having just gone down this road...I found a pair of 412-4006 shocks on craigslist...

I was worried about the lighter spring (90-130) and the longer length (11 1/2) but the deal was for 100 bucks so I thought I'd try it.

I weigh 150 and 5' 9"...they are way better than stock and I'm completely happy...I have them set on the second setting and they are just about perfect...

They do lift the bike a bit in the back but what I found is that it just improved the handling...feels like it's on rails now when I ride the canyons...

Since they were Harley shocks I bought the shims from Progressive...when they arrived they fit perfectly but the shims were kinda pricey and I probably could have made some out of thin walled tube...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/27/13 at 07:13:46

I've only ridden my bike a few times since switching to progressive shocks, but I must say that the feel is much more comfortable.  I know that I went with a much longer size shock, regardless I would bet even just swapping to a stock length in progressive shocks would make quite a noticeable difference.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/27/13 at 10:53:55

The first change I made to my (then) new S40 was to change to Progressive Suspension 412-4201c at 11.5 inches. A MUCH better ride and better control. PS sends a variety of bushings with the set, and 4 fit perfectly. BTW, I weigh 170 lbs, about the same. I used the softest setting. To remove/replace, just put a standard scissor jack on the frame under the motor, and raise/lower as needed to take pressure off the mounting studs. I used the stock nuts and washers, no problem. Only other mod as a result of increased rear heighth was to glue a 1"x2"x1/2" bar magnet under the kick stand so the bike doesn't lean over so far. Also helps with stoplight sensors.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:20:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear suspension swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.