Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some help with a part number please (Read 131 times)
doctorpc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Some help with a part number please
09/30/13 at 08:26:52

two quick questions
I need tha part number for the oil filter cover O ring I want to replace it whe  i do the oil change

second I was told i should lube the control cables once a year (brake and clutch) how do i do that and what lube to use?
thank you

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Some help with a part number please
Reply #1 - 09/30/13 at 09:32:45

1st, good filters come with new o-rings. Unless they've changed a lot in the 3 years my bike has been torn down, even Emgo filters have new gaskets in the boxes.

2nd, whatever is handy. I like to drop the cables in a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil or used engine oil and let them soak for awhile. Hydraulic oil will wick itself into every part of the core strands, and slowly leach out during use. Give a very long lasting result. Engine oil will form a very strong surface coat, but does not go as deeply into the cable core, nor does it last as long.

Note, I live on a farm, so I have gallons upon gallons upon barrels of used oil on hand. Before I moved back here, I'd use whatever clean engine oil was on hand, 3 in 1 oil, gun oils... again, whatever was handy that stays slick.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 09/30/13 at 09:51:15

Doc, here is a way to do that without taking your cables completely off and soaking them in a bucket of goo.  Certainly that will work, as WD says. This is a little more, uh, refined, and it looks pretty cool as well.  I did this, not hard at all and I probably need to do it again.

Mods, I looked for a sticky for this, but couldn't find one.  It might be good to have one and put it in the table of contents on the tech page.  Just a thought.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237997098/13#13

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/30/13 at 09:55:09

12...   (09280-72001)...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 09/30/13 at 13:16:26

From "Off beat measurements and sizes" in the Tech section:

youzguyz wrote on 08/08/13 at 08:54:55:
Oil Filter O-ring
Copy/Paste from post by HondaLavis before it gets lost in the general mish-mash of the universe
=========================================
Did some looking to compare the dimensions of the stock o-ring to the assortment they had at O'Reilly's.  The stock dimensions are 2.4mm thickness, 15.8mm inner diameter.  The assorted individual o-rings were all SAE.  The closest was 3/32 thickness, 5/8 inner diameter.  Translate that to metric, that's a 2.3813mm thickness, and 15.8750mm inner diameter.  I can't imagine a couple of hundredths of a MILLIMETER making a huge difference.

For anyone else who needs this O-ring, it should be #114 at O'Reilly's.  All  said and done, I spent $0.65.  And, YES, it will be fine in the oil.   Wink

::UPDATE::

I just put it on, and it fits just fine.  Nice and tight around the fitting to the filter, and it provides positive pressure when you push the filter against it.  Again, to any of you with PO's who lost an o-ring (because none of US have ever lost them, right?  Roll Eyes )  here is the $0.65 answer.

There you go.  <$1 at O'reilly's, you'll have what you need.   WinkI usually get HiFlo filters which don't include the O-ring, FWIW.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 10/02/13 at 08:06:40

Here's a technique I've used several times over the past few decades.  It seems like a lot of trouble, but once you do it you'll see it is not all that big a deal,.. Plus, I have never had to do it more than once on a given motorcycle, except for an 84 Gold Wing standard I had for 26 years.

Take the upper end of the cable out of the lever.  This is not mandatory, it just makes the rest of the job easier.

Get a good quality can of spray chain lube,.. the kind that goes on wet, seeps in everywhere, and then dries out, leaving a synthetic lube coating everything inside.

Glue the red plastic straw that comes with the can of chain lube to the end of the cable sleeve where the cable enters the sleeve with silicone seal.  Find some way to hold the straw in position so it opens up on the gap between the end of the sleeve and the cable.  The straw will be somewhat parallel with the cable.  I just use masking tape to hold the straw in place.  

Put on a thin layer of sil seal.  Let it cure for an hour or so, then put on another layer.  Let it cure overnight.

The purpose here is to make a leakproof seal between the can and the sleeve.  

After it is firm, wrap the joint with a few layers of electrical tape, shake the can a lot, and squirt the lube into the sleeve until you see it running out the other end.  Let it dry for a few hours and do it again.

The reason for getting so anal with the sil seal is so the runny chain lube is applied with a lot of pressure to give it the best chance to reach every speck of surface and cable inside the sleeve.  Using a new can of chain lube with a lot of propellant in it really shoves that fluid everywhere inside the sleeve, and tends to grab particles/chunks/dirt/etc., and flush them out the other end.

When done lubing, just peel/scrape off the sil seal.  

When a synthetic lube is applied this way, you probably won't have to do it more than once every decade or so.

p.s. -- one guy I taught this to said after doing it a few times, he rigged up a welding vice grip (the kind with the wide flat plates for the gripping surface) with the gripping surfaces temporarily lined with a stiff 1/4 thick layer of neoprene or some such.  he said he could clamp all the stuff together in two minutes that way, still achieving the hydraulic seal between the red straw and the end of the sleeve.  I have not tried this,.. but it sounds interesting.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 11/25/13 at 20:52:33

Another way to skin this cat....

I've got a cable lube fitting that is designed to be used with an aerosol can.  I've had this lube fitting for about 40 years (the pic was taken when I was lubing the choke cable on SWMBO's KLR650):

That lube fitting is tits!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 11/27/13 at 08:54:04

Cable lubers come with lube for about $10 or without for about $6, but I prefer whatever procedure makes the biggest mess.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:24:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Some help with a part number please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.