Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kawasaki Pulley Conversions (Read 1700 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Re: Kawasaki Pulley Conversions
Reply #15 - 04/09/15 at 16:35:54

So, just to be sure, I should be OK with just converting the front pulley for now? I'm looking for a quick solution to raise my top speed while lowering RPMs. Cruising down the highway at 75 MPH+ is a regular thing for me. (I know I know, the Savage ain't designed for that stuff, but I got it because I need moderation, not a sport bike. I just want to cruise a tad bit more comfortably with the engine pumping like crazy.) I don't have the place or the money to do machine work for the rear pulley. I think I could manage to do the front one on my own in my in-laws garage. I have a 4" grinder to be able to trim part of the gear-box case down where necessary.

I'm only asking, because I know the rear couldn't be done alone.

Also, anyone here know how hard it would be to get a rear pulley machined to the right specs? If I say, drew up some schematics in autocad based on the needed dimensions between the kawa pulley and savage pulley?

Thanks.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 04/09/15 at 18:07:43

Yes, the front pulley can be run by itself.  It does require moving the rear axle up near the front of the belt adjustment - but there is room.

A larger diameter rear tire also helps - and both will make your speedometer read a bit slower than you are really going.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 04/09/15 at 18:12:39

savskad wrote on 04/09/15 at 16:35:54:
I have a 4" grinder to be able to trim part of the gear-box case down where necessary.

The pulley itself requires some pretty extensive machining also...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 04/10/15 at 03:25:14

Serowbot wrote on 04/09/15 at 18:12:39:
savskad wrote on 04/09/15 at 16:35:54:
I have a 4" grinder to be able to trim part of the gear-box case down where necessary.

The pulley is some form of very had metal.  The fellow that machined mine used a vertical mill and a carbide cutter.  Mounting the pulley in a lathe is difficult (impossible on my 12" swing lathe).  I have just torn down a Ninja 250 transmission from a blown engine, and the transmission shafts are the same size and spline as the Savage/Kawasaki pulley - so I am going to use them to make a mandrel to hold the Kawasaki pulley for machining on a lathe.  I need to put new headstock bearings in my lathe before I try to machine a pulley.

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #19 - 04/10/15 at 06:09:33

--------------------------------------------------

What machining does the front pulley need? I read where the rear one needs some work, but the front one, all I saw was hammering the little bits of metal flatter. The rest (for the front pulley) was just trimming the body so the pulley would clear it. Am I missing something?

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/10/15 at 06:18:58

savskad wrote on 04/10/15 at 06:09:33:

--------------------------------------------------

What machining does the front pulley need? I read where the rear one needs some work, but the front one, all I saw was hammering the little bits of metal flatter. The rest (for the front pulley) was just trimming the body so the pulley would clear it. Am I missing something?

The hole where the Kawasaki pulley mounts is too wide for the Suzuki shaft....the pulley needs to be machined to make it narrower.

Look at this photograph.  See how the black stock pulley has the flat surface at the front...while the silver pulley has the hub sticking up from the surface?  The same thing occurs on the back....and some of this thickness needs to be machined away.

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #21 - 04/10/15 at 11:58:40

Ahhh ok....pardon me for missing that part. So the part circled in red is what needs to be trimmed, right? and the corresponding spot on the back side of the pulley? Other than that, no other machining is necessary?

2zdnoz72.jpg

Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 04/10/15 at 12:49:59

Just machining on the front and back....you have to get it machined so the offsets from where the belt rides to the hub face on the front and back match the stock pulley.  On the front the hub goes away almost completely flush with the flat area.

The flattening off the little nubs also makes it so less filing/grinding needs to be done on the pulley cover.

If you look close in this photo you can see where the CNC end mill machined the front of my pulley. You only need to machine out as far as the lock washer extends on the front, and the diameter of the spacer over the shaft on the backside.   (And you can see that a couple of the bumps have been flattened in the far end of the pulley face).

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 04/19/15 at 20:54:43

Dave, how much of the front pulley did you have taken off? Are both sides machined flush with the face of the pulley? Do we need to worry about the thickness on the back side so the pulley is spaced correctly or can it be shimmed with washers?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 04/20/15 at 02:58:08

Kris01 wrote on 04/19/15 at 20:54:43:
Dave, how much of the front pulley did you have taken off? Are both sides machined flush with the face of the pulley? Do we need to worry about the thickness on the back side so the pulley is spaced correctly or can it be shimmed with washers?

I didn't cut my own front pulley.....I took it to a friend who owns a machine shop and he cut it on his milling machine and used a carbide bit.  I took him the Kawasaki pulley and the original pulley, and he machined off whatever it took to make the pulley hubs match.  Most of the hub comes off on the front just like the stock pulley....and there is some hub left on the back just like the stock pulley.  The spacing has to match so that the belt can be in alignment with the rear pulley.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 04/20/15 at 19:10:33

Ok, gotcha.

I may try this instead of chain. The Kawasaki front pulley by itself will yield a ratio of 2.72:1. I was wanting a chain ratio of 2.71:1 but the chain requires a lot more maintenance. Coincidentally the Kawasaki pulley is almost exactly the ratio I was looking for. Thanks!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #26 - 04/20/16 at 06:39:54

Dave wrote on 11/20/13 at 04:06:25:
When I installed the rear wheel I discovered I had some play/wobble that I did not like......so I cut some strips of rubber from a floor mat and installed them.  The wobble is gone.......now we will see how long that solution will last.

I'm stealing this idea, Dave  Wink

between you and Bot, I'm building a bike of stolen ideas ...  Cheesy

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #27 - 04/20/16 at 11:32:35

Dave,   I have been looking on ebay, and found several front pulleys for the kaw vulcan quite cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252305379440?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

Do you know if they are the same as the ones off the old 450's we're using? They count 25 teeth, and LOOK the same in the pictures, but??? If they work I would get one, turn it to fit, and be able to supply a few guys at a reasonable price who want to gear up. I thought cost plus $50 and shipping.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 04/20/16 at 12:35:03

Badwolf:

The pulley you listed looks the same.......and I just checked the parts lists for them....same part number 13144.  It looks like they are the same....who knew?!

I have a few EN454 pulleys I bought when the price was right, and I have made a couple of mandrels to hold them in my lathe.  I have cut the backside of one and it works fine, and now I need to modify the second mandrel to hold the pulley while the front side is being cut.

I was going to wait and see how long it takes me to get one of these puppies degreased, machined before I put a price on the work.......I suppose it would be cheaper if you only did the machining and let the others do the cleanup.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #29 - 04/20/16 at 12:49:53

Dave, I did not know you were working on the same thing/idea. Don't want to step on your toes. When I did mine just chucked it up in the 3 jaw and that worked fine. Seemed to be enough interest here from time to time that someone should offer a couple and see if people are willing to actually pay something or just dreamers/bitchers. I'll let you handle it as you're already invested. Good luck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 04:24:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kawasaki Pulley Conversions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.