SeaLily24
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What plug is this?
10/22/13 at 13:13:07

2008 S40
Wanted to change my own oil and I drained the wrong plug  Undecided
Can anyone tell me what this plug is for?  It's below the engine oil plug on the crankcase and can be seen in these pictures:

I'm almost certain that when I did open it that it was oil that came out (a very small amount).

Any help would be much appreciated!
BikeBandit sells a plug around the same spot and that can be seen here:http://www.bikebandit.com/2008-suzuki-bike-parts/o/m147543#sch552696.  The part is #19 "Plug, Injector H" but I'm not sure if this is the same as mine as the one on my bike faces the ground (vertical).  This one that BikeBandit sells appears to be facing the front of the bike (horizontal).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What plug is this?
Reply #1 - 10/22/13 at 14:12:25

You took out a plug that is at the end of one of the drilled passages for oil flow.....not the drain plug.

The drain plug can be found in this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270090025

Or you can follow how to do an oil change in this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561

And you should become familiar with the Table of Contents with links in the Tech Section:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

And you should get a Clymers Manual.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 10/22/13 at 14:23:50

Yup what dave said... just put the plug back in and go to the tech section to learn how to do the oil change.

Lots of great information in the tech section.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 14:29:46

There are 2 plugs, different sizes... M14 and M12
The front one has a allen wrench socket.
The bottom one just has the flats on the outside.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/22/13 at 14:31:38

Don't waste money on a piece of crap full of errors Clymer or Haynes manual. You can find and download the OEM service manual for free. Google it... comes in as a pdf that you can then burn off as many copies as you need. I do one master set and xerox working pages so I don't get stuck with 400 duplicates every time I screw a page up with grease...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/22/13 at 16:16:15

Got a link to one perhaps?

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
SeaLily24
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/22/13 at 16:32:04

Thank you all for the replies and yes I did find the oil drain plug shortly after I realized this one I removed was the wrong one.

I'll quote Dave on the first reply:
"You took out a plug that is at the end of one of the drilled passages for oil flow..."

Besides putting the plug back in, is there anything I need to be concerned about?  ie - adding back fluids, etc.?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/22/13 at 17:13:15

You don't have to do anything after you put it back in. That oil probably would have drained out when you changed the filter anyhow.

IP Logged
SeaLily24
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/22/13 at 17:44:58

I created an account to seek advice from you guys, the pros.
My question was answered and I'm very grateful!
Thank you all for your responses and I hope this post will help others in the future  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/22/13 at 18:50:59

If it makes ya feel any better, youre not the first to pull that plug hoping to drain the oil,.,you wont be the last,
With the wrench on the drain plug & aimed out at the front tire, drive down to loosen. I have to lay down to even see the plug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/23/13 at 03:22:23

So........What kind of oil are you going to use?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 10/23/13 at 07:26:41

SeaLily24 wrote on 10/22/13 at 16:32:04:
Thank you all for the replies and yes I did find the oil drain plug shortly after I realized this one I removed was the wrong one.

I'll quote Dave on the first reply:
"You took out a plug that is at the end of one of the drilled passages for oil flow..."

Besides putting the plug back in, is there anything I need to be concerned about?  ie - adding back fluids, etc.?

Hello SeaLily, that plug is useful if you intend to fit an oil temperature gauge, that's where you would fit the bulb.

Incidentally, about the fluids, there are a few you may want to check regularly :

- engine oil level, through the itsy bitsy inspection window; make sure you can see at least one third of a window (the upper third) as "clear" or "empty"; if it's all black, either the window is dirty with sludge or you've overfilled (and I advise to drain a bit out or else you'll damage the engine)

- hydraulic brake fluid in the front brake reservoir; it's that aluminium rectangular box thing that sits perched on top of the front brake lever; if it were made of clear plastic you weould see yellow brake fluid and know how much of it there is; unfortunately it's a coffin so you'll have to open it every now and then...

- gearbox oil; I asked around and was told it's the same oil as the engine, meaning it's the same opil that goes 'round and 'round...

- clutch oil: oil for the clutch? Won't oil in the clutch make my clutch slip? er... actually... no, the Savage uses a multidisc clutch, (also called a "wet" clutch) so we actually need the oil in there; it's the same as (again) the engine oil.
Gee... that engine oil does a lot of things, doesn't it?

- battery fluid: if you use one of those "hassle with maintenance" batteries you need to top up every now and then, you may be lucky! Maintenance free batteries are known for giving up the ghost with zero forewarning... learn to check you battery fluid and it will last a long time!

- halogen fluid: top up your halogen fluid every now and then to avoid your front light from burning out in the middle of the night... usually, in the middle of nowhere.

- Blinker fluid: same as above; insufficient fluid will make them blink slower, eventually just turn on dimply and stay put.

- muffler fluid: does your Savage backfire every now and then? Are your muffler bearings dry and rub against each other? Is that dangerous?

All your answers here  Wink

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/headlight-fluid

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:17:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What plug is this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.