Send Topic Print
Exhaust Port Questions (Read 677 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust Port Questions
10/01/13 at 21:01:28

Ok so the exhaust port is nasty.

While I've got the pipe off I'm tempted to get in there with the dremel and clean it up. Don't really want to bother taking engine out and taking head off at this stage. But that restrictive lip in there.. I'd love to smooth that out some.

Also what is that weird hole all about?

Before I go in there grinding can anyone tell me how thick the metal is around that restriction ring? Am I save to grind that out?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Exhaust Port Questions
Reply #1 - 10/01/13 at 23:16:55

The Tech section has some pics,... but I don't remehttp://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Templates/Forum/default/list.gifmber where...

You can open the port to match the inner diameter of the pipe...(any larger is a waste)...  smooth the surfaces (this is good for exhaust, but not for intake)... and you can gingerly round that horizontal "torque hump" that runs across the outlet, but don't get crazy... there's stuff under there...(Err on the side of less on that )...
All this... may add a tenth of a pony... but, I did it... (What the heck... just 'cause I was in there anyway)...
Just concentrate on correcting cheap manufacturing blemishes,... and don't try to outsmart the designers...
Don't get carried away trying gain HP... they ain't much to gain...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/02/13 at 00:46:00

"torque hump" ?

You mean that horrid ridge I highlighted? That's gotta be a serious restriction in the exhaust flow. The worst thing about porting a head your not familiar with (especially leaving it on!) is grinding out a thin area. So that's why the post.

I did some searching and found this:

Looks like he's taken that ridge right out without issue?

also found this thread which is pretty helpful for my questions actually:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1275542836/15

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/02/13 at 03:15:31

The hole is the butt end of the threaded hole of the head stud underneath it (look for the stud and nut below).

That horizontal shelf up at the top is the bottom of the valve seat recess and only has a normal wall thickness of about a 3/16" so don't go crazy on it or you will make you a hole at the edge of the shelf ledge that is facing you.

Undecided     (ie. you just bought you a weld up job or a new head).

Just smooth it out with a dremel flap sander, don't try to reshape the thing beyond 1/16" even at the very edge of it.

No one has ever found even one whole HP messing about with the exhaust port & polish routine ..... so if you must, just smooth it up.

Think about it -- exhaust gas is DRIVEN by the piston and MUST exit.  Smooth matters little to it as it will carbon up again quite quickly anyway.

It is the intake flow that must be coaxed in under atmospheric pressure vacuum action.   Porting applies much more to the intake side than the exhaust.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/02/13 at 05:19:36

The ridge can be cut out physically - but at some point it doesn't hurt to leave it as the exhaust pipe is much smaller in diameter than the ridge.  The horizontal shelve as OF said is the bottom of the flat area where the valve spings seat.....and you can't cut much of it out.  You could round off the sharp edge a little bit.

When I had my engine apart I sharpened and smoothed the divider between the two valve ports, rounded off the shelf a bit, and cut and rounded out the ridge at the port a bit.....and got rid of the casting flaws.  I didn't do anything horribly radical....just cleaned things up a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/02/13 at 10:07:36

You do NOT want to cut that enough to let a valve sping loose..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 10/06/13 at 16:33:35

I ground down the edge of the exhaust port on my '02 till it pretty well matched the inside of the exhaust gasket but left the ridge on the top pretty much alone, didn't want the spring to poke through. Ended up removing most of the ridge you hi-lighted and smoothed out everything. Don't know how much it helped but it was worth a try.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:17:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Port Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.