Send Topic Print
Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak (Read 174 times)
Stevo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak
08/27/13 at 10:46:37

I'm preparing to handle the head cover removal to replace this leaking cap soon. I've had this leakage problem going on for years but it has recently become worse. It's starting to make me think my head cylinder gasket may also be shot. My motorcycle just hit 15000 miles so is due for a goed retorque according to the manual. I'd like to start there and see what happens. Not 100% how to go about this part of the job.

I'd appreciate any advice as to what tools may be required to accomplish the plug replacement job and retorque. I know I'll need a decent torque wrench... The 10mm and 13mm socket sizes have been pretty much ubiquitous for other work on the savage so far... will this remain true  as I get into the head cover? I'm specifically wondering if I'll be needing to measure torque on any allen or standard screw head bolts.

There are a lot of gaskets listed in the head cover... should I make sure to have replacements ready for all of these before I begin? What other parts might you recommend I order to have on hand just in case? I've already picked up a good high temp silicon sealant from NAPA and I plan to get some new carb cleaner. I've read several people have issues with bolts breaking off in this process and I'd just assume start with nice new hardware across the board to avoid any issues.

« Last Edit: 08/27/13 at 13:18:22 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak
Reply #1 - 08/27/13 at 13:29:41

Chances are  you head gasket is fine......the engine is low compression and is not hard on head gaskets.  I have never seen anyone with a bad head gasket on this forum.

You might give the bike a good scubbing and make sure that the nuts on the studs under the intake and exhaust ports are snug.  Those can leak if they get loose.

If it does become necessary to take the head cover off, you cetainly should get the rubber seals for the valve inspection covers, the O-ring for the oil galley, new sealing washers for bolts on the head cover that require the sealing washers, new rubber plug for the right side of the cam boring hole, and that darn head plug that caused all this.

You might also consider the Verslagen cam chain tensioner........or at a minimum you need to check your cam chain and see how far out your tensioner is extended.

Also....use the gasket material sparingly.  If you put too much on it not only looks bad, it can clog up the oil supply to the cam.  You only need a thin bead and don't use the orange crap.  Use gray on a silver engine and black on a black engine.....you don't want an engine that looks like this.

Dave

headsealplug-033.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Stevo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/28/13 at 04:19:05

Thanks Dave!

The sealer I got was the grey permatex, off to a good start then. I'm glad to hear that you don't think getting to the head gasket will be necessary. I've been having to top off my oil and make a run through a self serve car wash once a week to keep up with this leakage. Lately it not only leaks but spits hot oil on my legs occasionally. It's getting all over the front of the cylinder. The way it's accumulating in the seam where the head gasket is located is what made me start worrying.

I'll take your advice and tighten up any screws I can access for now while I source all these rubber parts to prepare for the plug replacement.

I have a good set of metric sockets, allen wrenches and screw drivers. My smallest socket size is 10mm. I plan to get a budget torque wrench and 3" socket extension. Will these tools be sufficient for this project? I'd like to make certain I have everything I'll need on hand before getting started. My savage is my sole transportation beyond my two feet. I can't have her out of commission for weeks on end.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 08/28/13 at 08:40:25

Get an 8 mm socket. I think the engine side covers may be 8, and I know my side post car battery is.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #4 - 08/28/13 at 08:48:04

The bolt in the center will not clear the frame but when loose you can remove the cover with bolt still in it. Just remember to put this bolt back in the cover before reseting cover or your gasket material is going to be goobered up when you take the cover back off to put this bolt in.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 08/28/13 at 09:00:18

Actually there are two bolts to watch when reassembling the head cap. Go to the technical section and look up the print out for this job. It can be placed on cardboard and used to locate all your bolts as you remove them. I used Yama Bond on my head cap. Happy wrenching.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 23:36:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.