Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What all would cause a battery to not charge? (Read 122 times)
mrissippi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What all would cause a battery to not charge?
08/24/13 at 14:52:18

New battery, new rectifier. Tried 2 different rectifiers. 1 new 1 from a working bike. It's an '86. The bike runs and stays at 12 volts at the battery when running and rev'ing. Battery drains after a couple of short trips and won't start until charged up. Please help!

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Re: What all would cause a battery to not charge?
Reply #1 - 08/24/13 at 15:23:47

Do you have a multimeter? Hook it up to the battery and rev the engine. The voltage should increase higher than 12. If not, you aren't creating charge current. I'd check the 3 wires going to rectifier and make sure you are getting power off your stator.

If you are able to, download the manual to our bike and go to the section about the charging system. Real good step by step in there.

Hope that helps! Check that stator!

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/24/13 at 15:23:57

WWW   IP Logged
mrissippi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/24/13 at 15:46:23

I get right at 12 volts at the battery on, off, and at higher rpms. It doesn't change. I have done the test on the rectifier with a multimeter and everything looked normal.

Ill check the good book.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #4 - 08/24/13 at 16:26:14

Yeah, check the ohms off the stator first. Then check the voltage. If its a no pass, you probably need to do a stator swap.  Undecided

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/24/13 at 17:15:30

It is also possible that one or more of the wires is damaged. They come out of the cover pretty near the belt, and if they were improperly routed or secured they could have gotten chewed up by the belt.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 08/24/13 at 21:33:40

Charon wrote on 08/24/13 at 17:15:30:
It is also possible that one or more of the wires is damaged. They come out of the cover pretty near the belt, and if they were improperly routed or secured they could have gotten chewed up by the belt.

True statement.  See here:

www.suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1363989148

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/25/13 at 03:56:31

Make sure your ground wire is secured properly on the engine as well, a bad ground will cause all sorts of mischief   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
mrissippi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/25/13 at 13:32:52

I get no signal from the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator. I traced them back from the r/r to the stator and everything looks fine.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can test the stator?

Is a stator replacement a drop in procedure?
Will I have to drain my oil?
Any recommendations on a new stator?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 08/25/13 at 14:17:07

Ohms check, with engine stopped: should be infinity (open) from any of the yellow wires to ground. This with the three yellow wires disconnected from the regulator. Should be continuity from any yellow to any other yellow, but Clymer's doesn't give the reading other than saying "low resistance." Any pair should be about the same resistance as any other pair.

Voltage check: three yellow wires still disconnected, and engine running. Should get above 100 volts AC between any pair of yellow wires, with the engine at 5000 RPM.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 08/25/13 at 17:20:49

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the rectifiers are somewhat year-specific, at least generation specific?  If your bike is an 86, what model did the donor rectifiers come from?  Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here too, I could be totally off base, just something to consider.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #11 - 08/26/13 at 14:01:00

Mines an 86 and there was no difference with the Rectifier when I swapped it out. If you need to replace the Stator then you're going to have to pull the left side engine cover. Yes, this will require draining the oil. The stator comes off with the cover so you'll be able to get out of that nasty crouch you were in undoing all the cover bolts. A new stator is about a 100 bucks, and you can find them a lot of places online. RMStator has a service department, I think that they are based out of Quebec.

IP Logged
mrissippi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/26/13 at 14:31:37

Well I put everything back together after charging the battery and tested the yellow wires coming from the stator and it was giving me a signal. Something could be wrong with my multimeter, my battery fully charged was dropping down to 6 volts when i was rev'ing it up. Didn't seem to stop the bike from starting and making a couple of short trips without any problems. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks everyone that chimed in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 05:47:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What all would cause a battery to not charge?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.