Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken Exhaust Header Bolt (Read 165 times)
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Broken Exhaust Header Bolt
08/03/13 at 05:50:14

I've noticed different times I was working on the bike that 1 of the exhaust header bolts spun freely, whereas the other got hung up.  It wasn't seized but it wasn't right either.  The other day I'm working on it and figure I need to get this bolt out once and for all.  Well, it broke flush with the head.

I drilled it out, and tried a bolt extractor to no avail.  I'm about to get froggy with the torch.  Shocked  Any other suggestions?

I've seen this mentioned as a problem in the forums, but couldn't find a "solution."  Also, what bolts to replace these with?  I suspect the acorn cap screws would be hard to replace, or should I just order stock replacements from Suzuki?

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: Broken Exhaust Header Bolt
Reply #1 - 08/03/13 at 09:44:21

No luck with the torch.  Embarrassed

Drill and tap?  Drill and HeliCoil?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/03/13 at 10:09:14

Drill it close and pick the remnants out. Replace the goofy stock bolts with stainless steel, brass or bronze studs and nuts. Loctite the studs into the head. Anti-sieze on the nuts. Very 1930s Chrysler L6 manifold-esque... Works great and looks kinda cool.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #3 - 08/03/13 at 14:06:38

WD wrote on 08/03/13 at 10:09:14:
Drill it close and pick the remnants out. Replace the goofy stock bolts with stainless steel, brass or bronze studs and nuts. Loctite the studs into the head. Anti-sieze on the nuts. Very 1930s Chrysler L6 manifold-esque... Works great and looks kinda cool.

That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing now.  Cool  I've got the hole pretty good, and I've got the tap ready to go.  I'd prefer not to HeliCoil if I can get it clean enough.  I have at least half the bolt out, so not too much of the hole should be boogered up...hopefully.  Roll Eyes

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll report on my success, or continued failure.  Grin

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #4 - 08/11/13 at 04:52:22

I should follow this up with some details to save the next guy some time and aggravation.  Cool

The bolts that hold the header on are M8x1.25.  Since the bolt extractor didn't work, even with heat, I stepped up drill bit sizes until 9/32", where I was able to remove the remaining bolt material.  (8mm = 5/16, but this would damage any existing threads, and I didn't want to do that).  I was able to tap the hole and it wasn't bad.

I got some stainless steel bolts (stainless all-thread isn't the easiest to find, but the local Sears Hardware has a good selection of stainless hardware), cut off the heads, and ran a dye down the threads to make sure they were clean.  Apply a little Lock-Tite to the base threads that screw into the head, tighten down, and install header using stainless nuts and washers.

Everything buttoned up nicely.  I slapped in a new donut gasket for good measure.  No leaks, no fuss, had a great ride testing it for issues.

One other note, while I had the exhaust apart, I figured it would be a good time to punch a 3/8" hole through the Dyna baffle.  It sounds so much better.  Wink

« Last Edit: 11/25/13 at 15:57:58 by Badass94Cad »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Exhaust Header Bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.