Send Topic Print
Savage never starts! (Read 128 times)
Skippy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage never starts!
07/30/13 at 06:40:39

My 2000 Savage will run for about two weeks then will start having problems ideling and then wont start. I will try cleaning the carb. Then I send it to multiple bike shops who get it running and tell me the carb was clogged. But about two weeks later it wont start. It must be the carb but what are they doing that I'm not. Should I try a carb bath? Or just get a new one?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Savage never starts!
Reply #1 - 07/30/13 at 06:51:30

Drain carb bowl into glass..is it clean?
If not, drain gas from tank, check it, check out tank,, get a filter.
Test the petcock,
the battery MUST be chargeed up Hot to nake it start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #2 - 07/30/13 at 07:56:03

Fuel and spark, it should bang. Try eter.

14365412   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/30/13 at 08:28:31

Skippy, do you have a fuel filter installed on your bike between the petcock and the carburetor?

Are you still running the stock Suzuki vac petcock?

You likely can do two things to cut way down on your "carb problems".  

First is get rid of the stock Suzuki vac petcock and get a Raptor petcock.

Second, when you put the Raptor in put a large diameter pleated paper fuel filter in upstream of the carburetor.

Many times folks find out that vac petcock issues have added to, aggravated or actually were what they thought were carburetor problems.

Remember, if you don't have a fuel filter installed, then you WILL have carb problems due to trash coming from your tank because of inherent issues with 10% Alcohol Gasoline, tank rust and other trash originating from underground tankage.

The thought of you taking that bike back to stealerships repeatedly and them "getting you going again" and NOT doing these things steams my butt, but it would actually be pretty typical of the breed.

They want you to come back so they can pick your pocket again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/30/13 at 08:57:39

To put Oldfeller's suggestion in a bit cruder yet easier to understand format... If you are going to the dealer, for anything, buy stock in KY Jelly or similar, you'll need it.

The Raptor petcock, new fuel lines, AND a proper fuel filter is under $50 American. And cures close to 90% of issues like you list. Even brand new bikes have petcock issues these days, the Savage ones are made in China, no quality control to speak of.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #5 - 07/30/13 at 09:51:59

Why the petcock? the bike will not start. If it did run till he turn it off it have gas i carb. A clear filter show if gas comes. Start with that. Or a new hose with a bottle gas held in hand. If it starts, buy the raptor.
Eter test is fast to do. It tells that spark can ignite gas if present.
My philosophy, don't fix anything that works Smiley

14365412   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 07/30/13 at 15:39:29

I suppose it would be too obvious to remove the gas cap and actually LOOK in the tank, using a suitable flashlight. If you see any dirt or rust on the bottom of the tank (you can only see the right side, not the left where the petcock is mounted) you will have to remove the tank and flush it out. Adding a fuel filter will stop the dirt getting into the carburetor, but eventually the filter will clog up instead.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 07/30/13 at 17:34:54

Use a flashlight. Don't do like one of my brother's brilliant friends and use a lighter...Needless to say, he burned down my brother's four wheeler.

Sounds like you are repeatedly building up crud in the carb.  Sounds like what I've had dirt bikes do with rusty tanks.  When I cleaned the carb, it would take right off until next time.

When you clean the carb, don't forget there's a little filter screen above the float needle.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 20:12:26

se a flashlight. Don't do like one of my brother's brilliant friends and use a lighter...Needless to say, he burned down my brother's four wheeler.

Really?  I didnt know anyone could be that stupid

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 20:23:34

Yeah...my brother knew some real wunderkinds.  'Course it prolly didn't help that they were all pretty well drunk by then either.

The guy really was that stupid.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 05:12:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage never starts!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.