Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
having carb problems again (Read 199 times)
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
having carb problems again
07/27/13 at 17:13:51

I thought I had my savage running perfect I had it where it wouldn't backfire and had plenty of top end power, until I put a tach on it this weekend and found out I was idling too slow, so when I set the idle screw to run at 1000 rpms I loose all control of the mixture screw  if I turn it all the way in  the rpms don't drop I can turn  it 8 turns out and nothing happens and it back fires all the time now even when I shift.  I am running a stock air filter, stock muffler with 8 1/4" holes drilled in it, a 150 main jet, a 57.5 pilot jet and 2 metal washers on the needle.  I am thinking the pilot jet needs to be changed to a 55 but I would like to have some verification on this first.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: having carb problems again
Reply #1 - 07/27/13 at 18:16:58

Yarp... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/27/13 at 19:37:39

PhantomII wrote on 07/27/13 at 17:13:51:
I thought I had my savage running perfect I had it where it wouldn't backfire and had plenty of top end power, until I put a tach on it this weekend and found out I was idling too slow, so when I set the idle screw to run at 1000 rpms I loose all control of the mixture screw  if I turn it all the way in  the rpms don't drop I can turn  it 8 turns out and nothing happens and it back fires all the time now even when I shift.  I am running a stock air filter, stock muffler with 8 1/4" holes drilled in it, a 150 main jet, a 57.5 pilot jet and 2 metal washers on the needle.  I am thinking the pilot jet needs to be changed to a 55 but I would like to have some verification on this first.

Your engine is stock/stock/stock and you have a 57.5 pilot jet in it ?  Dude, that is waaaaay too much.  Drop back to a 52.5 pilot jet and then try the pilot screw adjustment again, starting with 1.5 turns out.
Note:  There is no need to go beyond 3 turns out on the pilot screw.  If you get to 3 turns out and the rpm is still increasing then go up to the next larger size pilot jet and start tuning the pilot screw at 1 turn out again.  
If there is no change in engine rpm from 0-3 turns out then your pilot circuit passageways are clogged and the carb needs to be disassembled and EVERYTHING cleaned.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/29/13 at 05:10:10

I agree with Lancer.....sounds way too rich to me.  I found that my bike with the stock air cleaner and a DYNA muffler ran best with a #50 pilot, #150 main, and 2 washers.  My idle mixture screw was out about 2 turns.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #4 - 07/29/13 at 06:01:28

I put the 52.5 pilot jet back in after I cleaned the carb. again and set the idle to 1000 rpms tried adjusting the mixture screw and it still back fires all the time including when I shift.  I have a 55 pilot jet and a K&N air filter on the way hopefully I can get this fixed then.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/29/13 at 07:24:54

Have ya checked the header flange screws? Look for leaks.. ?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/29/13 at 07:34:15

Please excuse this thought, please -- he has a stock stock bike and he's just started to modding it.

When you start to mod your bike you should yank off the stock vac petcock as your eventual air filter mods will affect the system's vacuum levels causing the vac petcock to misbehave badly.  They misbehave enough when stock stock stock -- giving them additional excuses to play tricks on you is crazy.

If you don't get rid of that stock vacsucker petcock, you will be posting here a lot with strange intermittent problems nobody can figure out .....

Hey, just getting ahead of you a bit -- right now your stock stock stock bike is misjetted a bit (Lancer is the expert on jetting).   But sight unseen I bet you have some mild petcock issues muddling up your water too, causing you to do strange jet selections and other things.

Lower your muddy water pro-actively -- get rid of the vac petcock.

Then you can see more clearly to fix your real issues (whichever ones remain).

=============

Constant backfire and popping on decel, it can be caused by low float bowl gas levels, which comes from -- you guessed it -- the stock vac petcock misbehaving.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 07/29/13 at 07:49:01

When I first bought the bike I had to replace the petcock straight away because the original one leaked, I put the Raptor one on after reading all the posts about the stock one's issues.  I have been reading the posts and trying to learn from everyone's experiences on her for about 6 months, but I didn't want to start posting anything until I studied the tech sections and started exhausting the suggestions I read first.  I ordered the jet kit from 6sigma and gave them the specs of what my bike had and the altitude that i live at and they sent me a 150, 155, and 160 main jet, a 57.5 pilot jet, some metal washers and one plastic washer for the needle.  Their instructions said to put in the 150 main jet, the 57.5 pilot jet and 2 metal washers.  Then they said to set the mixture screw to 2 turns out, and adjust the idle screw to where it idles smooth and then adjust the mixture screw to where the idle start to increase and that should be pretty close to stop the backfires.   I thought I had it running pretty good it didn't backfire and when i shut it off it didn't pop or poof anymore, but I put a tach on it and the idle was was just at 750 so when I adjusted the idle screw to bring it up to 1000 I could no longer get the mixture screw to make any difference as a matter of fact I could screw it all the way in the the motor wouldn't even slow down.  I put the 52.5 pilot back in but I can't get the back fires to stop and have turned past 3 turns and nothing changes.  I will check the header pipe and make sure it is tight but wouldn't it backfire not matter what?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/29/13 at 08:02:07

Be caerful on that, Only When Cold, & Dont get crazy with those skinny things,,
Its easy to check, it could be the problem, look for leaks up & down the exhaust,,
Its cool you already ditched the petcock.. You got a Genuine Yamaha Raptor replacement?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #9 - 07/29/13 at 08:11:54

Yes on the Raptor I bought it from a online Yamaha dealer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/29/13 at 09:37:05

Good to hear,,

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 07/29/13 at 17:42:02

Are you making sure the engine is completely warmed up before adjust ing the carb ?  If not, ride it for several miles before stopping to tune.

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #12 - 07/29/13 at 19:39:56

Yes I usually jump on the interstate ride 2 miles and come home then make a small change and try it again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/29/13 at 19:46:16

To get that air mix screw I grabbed a small screwdriver & went for a ride. Rode in town. Small adjustments at lites,

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #14 - 07/30/13 at 06:02:15

Can someone explain to me how the "enrichment knob" works?  I rode to work (27 miles) today with the knob pulled out to the first position for 14 miles and not once did my motorcycle backfire or pop, as soon as I pushed it back in and rolled off the throttle the backfires and pops returned.  Does this mean I am running too lean, too rich?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:52:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › having carb problems again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.