Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another one about mufflers (Read 104 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Another one about mufflers
07/30/13 at 18:57:08

I had some success making my scooter sound nice. The muffler on it is some kind of aftermarket fit anything sort of thing I picked up locally (in Aust). It came with a glasspak perforated tube sort of baffle which sounds really cool but is just too darn loud. I took it out, cut the end caps off and welded them onto a tube the same length as the original (so it fits back in nicely). Cut a slot most of the way through the tube halfway along and inserted and welded a blanking disc in there. So now theres 2 chambers in the tube. Then just drilled holes in each chamber and tried it in the muffler. Kept drilling holes until the power came back and it had a nice note, but stopped before it got too loud. It sounds good now and while it won't pass a roadworthy, at least it shouldn't attract that kind of attention anymore.
I went with this muffler because it was available locally, I think it looks better than a Dyna muffler and the Dyna mufflers aren't easy to get SH here. Everyone hangs onto them in case they need to attend a roadworthy themselves Roll Eyes.
The tube on top is the original glasspak tube. The blueing on the muffler is from a previous baffle I made to get it through the roadworthy. Really cooked that chrome.

DSCF6273.JPG
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Another one about mufflers
Reply #1 - 07/31/13 at 08:53:05

Wrap the core with copper or stainless steel pot scrubbers. Won't affect the power, just the exhaust tone. Will be a good bit more mellow sounding. Have had mine like that for almost 10 years. Just replace the scrubbing pads when the noise level goes up. Costs about $4 USD every couple years.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:05:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another one about mufflers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.