Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
having carb problems again (Read 199 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: having carb problems again
Reply #15 - 07/30/13 at 06:18:42

The enrichment knob is named correctly.  At a first click position you have added a very minor amount of fuel continuously to your fuel flow.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #16 - 07/30/13 at 07:05:09

So with that being said and the symptoms of my bike running with and without the enrichment knob pulled out my bike is running lean, which is causing it to backfire every time I decelerate or shift gears?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/30/13 at 11:11:12

PhantomII wrote on 07/30/13 at 07:05:09:
So with that being said and the symptoms of my bike running with and without the enrichment knob pulled out my bike is running lean, which is causing it to backfire every time I decelerate or shift gears?

Your bike may not be running lean.....it might be running well.  When you close the throttle the fuel supply through the needle jet and main jet is shut off, and only the pilot jet can supply fuel in this scenario.  The mixture does go lean - but by increasing the size of the pilot jet or opening up the mixture screw you are making the engine run rich during acceleration or steady cruise - in an attempt to supply some additional fuel when you close off the throttle.

If your bike runs with the enrichment knob out when the bike is warm, that does indicate that something is wrong.  Your enrichment circuit could be plugged, your idle speed could be too high, your float level too low.  I am not sure what tach you are using to check your idle speed, and if you can move the idle mixture screw in and out without affecting the idle mixture, and the fuel enrichment knob does not affect the idle....it makes me think that the throttle butterfly is open too far and the bike is idling too fast.  Go to YouTube and check the 500 bpm (beat per minute) metronome and see if that is what your bike sounds like at idle.        

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #18 - 07/30/13 at 12:01:02

Thanks Dave, I am planning on pulling the carb off again tonight and firing up my air compressor and taking every thing off the carb and blowing air thru every passage way.  I am using one of those Tiny Tach digital tachometers for my testing, I don't know how accurate they are though.  I will re-check everything on your list and let you know what I find tomorrow.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 07/30/13 at 13:07:50

The tiny tac should work fine...as long as you have it set for the fact that the ignition sparks every revolution.  Since there is not any distributor to limit the spark to once every two revolutions.  If you have your Tiny Tach set for a 4 stroke that fires once every two revolutions....you may have the idle speed set at 2,000 rpm instead of 1,000 rpm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #20 - 07/30/13 at 13:26:55

Dave my tiny tach doesn't have any settings but I do wonder how many twist I should have it wrapped around the spar plug lead, right now I have it wrapped around it 4 times.

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #21 - 07/30/13 at 13:43:09

Dave I think I figured it out I think my tach is reading too low I just looked up a gearing chart and according to the chart my bike should be running at around 4000 rpms at 60 mph but on my tach it is only reading 2000.  I just went out and readjusted the idle to 550 rpm's and I was able to make good adjustments to the mixture screw and the bike no longer pops when I shut it off, I was unable to drive it very far or get it up to speed because I'm at work but I will let you know when I get home tonight how it did.

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #22 - 07/30/13 at 16:14:09

I just got home and the bike didn't back fire once and it even shut off without the annoying pop too.  Now the problem is when I chop the throttle while coasting to a stop, when I pull the clutch in and the motor drops to idle it slows way down and then recovers it actually stalled twice on me.  I think I might need to put the 2/3 or 1/2 spacer back on the needle can someone confirm this?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 05:07:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › having carb problems again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.