Send Topic Print
Intro plus 2 questions (Read 88 times)
Cobradagua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Intro plus 2 questions
05/14/14 at 07:32:20

Hello everyone! New to this forum and to riding. Just picked up 2 new S40's, 2014 model. (One for me & wifey).

First question:
Can I assume that any year aftermarket product for this bike will fit mine? I know there is not much out there but there seems to be more options for say 2012 and earlier models. Will they all fit?

Second question:
Can anyone point me in the right direction to upgrading my seat? I would love to find something a bit sleeker and more comfortable but I cannot find anything except the stock suzuki gel seat upgrade.

Thanks !  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Intro plus 2 questions
Reply #1 - 05/14/14 at 07:53:44

Yea, if it fits one Savage, it pretty much fits them all,, unless there is something you can find that wont translate well because of handlebar shapes,

Whats your "Mr Fixit" ability level? There are lots of guys who have changed seats. Some are easier. Since "She" has her own, maybe you want a solo seat? How big are ya? You need a seat or a padded wheelbarrow? Paladin had a very comfy lookin seat on his.
Some guys just raise the front of the stocker, keeps them back off the tank better. Thats super cheap & easy & sometimes solves the main problem,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #2 - 05/14/14 at 07:53:48

welcome!
congrats on the purchases. these are fun little bikes. there's not a whole lot of aftermarket parts at all for these things, though. but other than a few changes through the years, they are the exact same bike. they went from a 4 speed to a 5 speed pretty early on. and then in 2005, they became the Boulevard S40 instead of the Savage LS650. I believe this is when the seat went to one solid piece instead of the two seperate. also, around that time, they started using risers and dragbars instead of the buckhorns. hope that helps somewhat. as for seats, nope. only aftermarket seat specifically for the savage is the gel seat you mentioned. some people have put a Harley Sportster (i think) seat on and it doesn't look too awful.

some great folks here, with a wealth of knowledge. make sure to use the Search function on here. a lot of topics have been covered already.

happy riding! Cool

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/14/14 at 08:04:19

corbin makes a seat for the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/14/14 at 11:16:09

Welcome to the club! This forum is a lifesaver (read "bikesaver") for me and probably others. But I'd like to steer your seat question down a different road, if you don't mind. I found the ride on my (then) new 2012 incredibly harsh - stiff and jolting. With shocks on the softest setting, I could bounce violently on the seat and there was NO movement in the shocks! I weigh 165. S40 was headed for an early trade-in, when the folks here steered me to Progressive Suspension shocks which saved the bike. If the harsh ride is the problem, you might consider that also. PS shocks for Suzuki Intruder 80, 11.5" fit perfectly and require no further mods. Good Luck!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/14/14 at 12:19:14

Intruder 800.

Wait for the warranty to expire before you get too creative...

I took my purchased new 1998 in a week after I bought it for its 600 mile service, with 1200 miles on it. Had the original muffler replaced under warranty within a couple months, after which, due to its "excessive" mileage, the factory dropped my warranty.  Grin

That old 98 should be back on the road this year after a 3+ year total transformation. Full rear fender, drum front wheel, modified exhaust, modified lights, ancient dirt tracker gas tank, bar-riser-control swaps, modified Kawasaki VN800A seat (best factory Japanese seat, ever), floorboard conversion, real engine guard instead of the puny factory one (mine is 36-57 Harley Davidson sourced)...

Go through the forum, look at the various modifications done to our bikes over the years, enjoy riding yours and posting about them. Welcome to the family.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/15/14 at 12:09:19

Roger.
No further modifications (welding, grinding, bending, moving, hammering, painting, etc.) are needed to accomodate the Progressive Suspension shocks I mentioned. The PS shocks come with appropriate sized bushings, and the stock hardware works just fine. You may, of course at your discretion, find other modifications necessary to suit your style. Don't we all! Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/15/14 at 13:21:11

The stock shocks are adjustable, they have probably been set at level 2 out of five. I would ask the selling dealer to make any adjustment, as I fully support WD when he says leave modification until after the warranty expires. Consult the dealer if you want to modify or alter things and just have your wife present as a witness. I've had mine three and a half years and am slowly working towards 25000 miles of good riding.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 09:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro plus 2 questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.