Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Montana started, I hope the other states follow (Read 105 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Montana started, I hope the other states follow
07/12/13 at 22:59:50

If You Don't Want the Government to Spy on You, Move to Montana - Alexander Abad-Santos - The Atlantic Wire
Inbox
x

to
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/07/if-you-dont-want-government-s...
Alexander Abad-Santos 5,792 Views Jul 9, 2013
Privacy advocates, behold the Montana legislature and House Bill 603, a measure that requires the government to obtain a probable cause warrant before spying on you through your cell phone or laptop. HB 603 was signed into law this past spring, effectively making Montana the first state to have an anti-spy law long before anyone heard of Edward Snowden. To be clear, HB 603 passed the state Senate overwhelmingly by a vote of 96-4 in April and was signed into law on May 6. That's almost one month to the day when we first found out about the NSA's secret order  to collect phone records from Verizon, which has since ballooned into a world-wide scandal and chase. "The NSA reports hadn’t even come out at that time," said one of the law's supporters to the news website The Daily Interlake.  

That we didn't find out about the extensive NSA spying and Edward Snowden until June, is probably the reason HB 603 passed without much fanfare in the spring. At the time, the law might have seemed extraneous, or even paranoid. But knowing what we know now, the law seems prophetic (not unlike the way Shia LaBeouf warned us about spying back in 2008) and is getting some new-found attention.  The law is pretty straightforward—the government can't spy on Montanans through their electronic devices unless they obtain a warrant:

And  "electronic device" is meant to encompass laptops, cell phones and tablets:

That effectively makes Montana the first state in the country's history to pass an electronic privacy law that protects you from the government. The bill's sponsor, Rep. Daniel Zolnikov, and Montana's lawmakers outpaced all the states in the country when it comes to privacy—Texas signed an email privacy bill into law last month, and Massachusetts and a handful of other states are considering their own privacy laws when it comes to electronic surveillance and wiretapping.

"The younger Democrats and Republicans were the ones really for the bill. The older legislators in Helena didn’t say much for or against it," Zolnikov told the Daily Interlake. Zolnikov actually wanted a harsher bill that would have limited federal authority. "This is very small compared to what we want to accomplish," he ad

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Montana started, I hope the other states follo
Reply #1 - 07/13/13 at 08:56:58

No speed limit, no sales tax, no gun restrictions, and only 800,000 people in an area bigger than california.
BTW Dynojet is made there. I think. Never mind, they got an office there - no doubt a test lab -

Belgrade, Montana Physical Address
Dynojet Research, Inc.
200 Arden Drive
Belgrade, Montana 59714

They also have nearly no laws for trucks and trailers. Triples - like the road train in australia.

Drove through it in 2010 twice a week apart. 12-14 hours across, and seriously, gun laws are definitely needed for this place ... I really wanted to kill myself 1/2 way through ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 07/13/13 at 14:54:48

Sri this is a privacy law, nothing about guns.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/13/13 at 15:42:41

IDK how we can ever be assured they arent doing what theyve been doing, but Id like to see it illegal,, again, its BEEN illegal,, Id like to see jail time for a bunch of people involved.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/13/13 at 15:50:34

Midnightrider wrote on 07/13/13 at 14:54:48:

Montana has the 49th population density of all the states in the nation - alaska is 50th. There is a reason for that ... well 2 ...
1. People that live in montana, dont like other people.
2. People in montana dont like any laws of any kind.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 07/13/13 at 16:23:58

I don't think anyone in any state wants there email or phone calls monitored. I certainly don't. It was illegal until Bush signed the Patriot Act. What a name, its anything but that. Sri this isn't about Montana , its about the 1rst amendment, freedom of speech and the right to email and talk to my friends without being spied on. Its about the right to express my opinions on this forum without being put on a terrorist list. The government has built a huge computer complex to monitor all emails and phone conversations. I get it, you don't like Montana but take Montana out of the equation. I wish more states would chip in and go against the tyrannical Federal Goverments bullsh!t.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/13/13 at 17:26:02

srinath wrote on 07/13/13 at 15:50:34:

Montana has the 49th population density of all the states in the nation - alaska is 50th. There is a reason for that ... well 2 ...

Cool.
Srinath.

Thank YOU! I havent had that good of a laff at Straight UP Dumb in a long time,, youll stoop to ANYTHING to apologize for an intrusive government,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 07/15/13 at 06:42:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/13/13 at 17:26:02:
srinath wrote on 07/13/13 at 15:50:34:

Cool.
Srinath.

Thank YOU! I havent had that good of a laff at Straight UP Dumb in a long time,, youll stoop to ANYTHING to apologize for an intrusive government,

Obviously you've never been to montana.
I'll take someone listening to me over living in montana anyday.  Grin

Obviously that's a joke - Montana is a state where the rest of the laws of the world dont apply.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 07/15/13 at 12:38:27

I'm glad the email and listening laws are illegal in Montana, now if the other states would just follow.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/15/13 at 13:11:58

Midnightrider wrote on 07/15/13 at 12:38:27:
I'm glad the email and listening laws are illegal in Montana, now if the other states would just follow.

Yea Email reading and listening were all done by ... Bush. Sorry Cheney, Rumsfield Haliburton etc etc ... there is no evidence that Bush actually read anything.

So, Montana which Voted for Bush by nearly 20 points twice, and even voted RMoney by 14. They went for McCain by only 3 points, the closest in the last 20 years ... In Classic TEA bagger style, they blame Obama for what Bush did, and Ban things that have not been done in 5 years ...

You do know phone calls and emails are not being read by the current NSA right ? That was all done by warrantless wiretapping under Bush.

Currently, NSA is only pulling call records.

Needless to say, Montana much like SC finds a way to lock the horse after the barn has bolted ... and are saying we need to burn the horse down cos it is its fault.

Seriously, if you ever been to Montana you'd understand.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/15/13 at 17:21:24

So, Montana which Voted for Bush by nearly 20 points twice, and even voted RMoney by 14. They went for McCain by only 3 points, the closest in the last 20 years ... In Classic TEA bagger style, they blame Obama for what Bush did, and Ban things that have not been done in 5 years ..

I Thot Snowden just said otherwise,, &, there is that huge installation in utah now. I dont elieve for a second they arent recording everything, including this. Its what tyrants DO. Did it Start under Bush 2 or Bush 1? IDK, I dont even CARE, All I care about is, it was done & its still done & laws wont stop it. The fed isnt run by people we elect. Decisuions are made by an unelected bunch of globalists who change faces & names when the lecteds go from D to R, but the agenda REMAINS the same

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 07/15/13 at 18:02:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/15/13 at 17:21:24:
So, Montana which Voted for Bush by nearly 20 points twice, and even voted RMoney by 14. They went for McCain by only 3 points, the closest in the last 20 years ... In Classic TEA bagger style, they blame Obama for what Bush did, and Ban things that have not been done in 5 years ..

I Thot Snowden just said otherwise,, &, there is that huge installation in utah now. I dont elieve for a second they arent recording everything, including this. Its what tyrants DO. Did it Start under Bush 2 or Bush 1? IDK, I dont even CARE, All I care about is, it was done & its still done & laws wont stop it. The fed isnt run by people we elect. Decisuions are made by an unelected bunch of globalists who change faces & names when the lecteds go from D to R, but the agenda REMAINS the same

Snowden said nothing of the sort.

The NSA is pulling data about calls - you remember those old phone bills that no one looks @ anymore ... that is what the NSA has. And that after the fact, in some cases months and months after ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/16/13 at 02:02:54

where would I look to see that?

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 07/16/13 at 06:15:49

NPR - you know the folks the republicans were trying to shut down...

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/10/190160772/amid-data-controversy-nsa-builds-its-...

I could certainly live a state like Montana.. if it weren't soooooo cold in winter.

hehehe Sri... yeah the folks in Chicagy gots all the love for people.. that's why they kill so many .... what they need is MORE laws! then they would love each other more!

Oh wait... but Detriot.. nows theres a civilized city for you!!! So much love there...

There’s another Halloween related twist in Chicago though – the day BEFORE Halloween, October 30th, is traditionally known as “Devil’s Night” in this region of the United States, chiefly because of the serious acts of vandalism and arson that arose in Detroit, Michigan from the 70s to the 90s because some juvenile delinquents took the “trick” part of Halloween far too seriously.

From: http://www.examiner.com/article/devil-s-night-the-land-of-lincoln

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 07/16/13 at 07:17:52

Detroit is a dead city.
Its a city 7X the size of NYC in area, and 1/15th the population.
Its time to raze down several complete neighborhoods and get them back to nature by letting them go back to forest.

Chicago is a city with a strict gun law in city limits, while 3 miles out of town is the biggest gun store in the midwest which has sold 25% of all criminal weapons seized in the last 10 years. Duh ... roads work, and 3 miles, you could get there on a bicycle.

Oddly enough, no one brings up any other city ... huh. Only these 2 ...
One needs to be turned into a forest, the other needs to either be brought to the same law as the surrounding or the surrounding needs to be brought to its ... but then 100 miles away .... 200 ... 1000 miles away someone will buy in TX by the trunk ful and bring to Chicago.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:14:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Montana started, I hope the other states follow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.