Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch adjustment, bad spring or something else? (Read 319 times)
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Clutch adjustment, bad spring or something else?
07/02/13 at 18:35:44

I finally got the bike idling without any obvious problems and the front brakes to work (still need to be cleaned out) and decided to take it around the block very slowly just to see how she ran.  As soon as I popped it into first gear, the clutch didn't sound like it disengaged, and it died.  I began adjusting the clutch cable and then realized that something wasn't right.  No matter how I adjusted the cable length, the clutch lever would not return to its original position.  There was complete slack through the entire traveling length of the lever.

My first thought was that the cable had stretched beyond its limit.  Then I began looking at the release arm and its indicator marks.  I have searched the forum for a related problem, but no one else's symptoms seemed to match mine.  Here's what I found:

If I apply a little pressure (very little), this is the arm's fully down position.  When I let go it stays like this.

I can pull it up slightly, let go, and it stays like this.

If I push it up as far as it will go, this is where it stops.  When I let go, it moves back to the previous position.

Here is a picture of how far the cable sticks out of the cable adjuster.  Does this look too long?  The lever end of the cable is screwed ALL THE WAY IN TOWARDS THE LEVER.

It really seems like the spring inside the crankcase cover isn't providing enough downward pressure on the release arm.  This was last assembled by someone else.  It is possible something wasn't done right.  I just wanted to get your opinions before I broke into that thing.

Thanks for your help!

'87, FREE!, Raptor petcock, 22,000 miles.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch adjustment, bad spring or something els
Reply #1 - 07/02/13 at 19:32:59

are you saying you can move the lever on the side of the motor by hand? if you can, then most likely the clutch throw-out has broken. dont start it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/02/13 at 19:42:10

You say you did all your research already, but you don't use the rubber band method to check your "effective" pushrod length using the case marks, which is the starting point for figuring out clutch issues.

May need to go to the Table of Contents and look a little harder .....  

??!!  What in the world  !!??

.....  the "How to Adjust Your Clutch (with clutch rods explained) link isn't there in the table of Contents any more.  

Rats.  You'll have to do a search.

Undecided

Something for the Moderators to do in their spare time, I guess.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - 07/02/13 at 20:30:19

Oldfeller, I did read that post, but this is how my clutch lever looks when it's connected Sad

IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - 07/02/13 at 20:36:54

JOG- Yes, I can move it by hand through the range of motion in the pictures. What would the clutch throwout be referred to as in my Clymer manual?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/02/13 at 20:55:04

JUst pull the side cover,

Lever turns shaft thru case. Shaft has paddle shaped gizmo attached. Paddle shaped gizmo presses end of rod in clutch pak.

Clutch pack jammed up? Never seen it, but Hey? Anyway, rod wont protrude.
Rod missing? Never heard of that,,

Throw-out lever busted? Seen a few of thosr,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/02/13 at 22:54:12

Run the clutch tensioner at the bars out until the gap closes, lock it down with the big ring. Then give it a pull and see if it made any difference. If it didn't help, pull the exhaust pipe and right side foot controls, take off the outer engine case and give us some pics. Clutch pack and inside the engine cover, as they were removed, do not touch the guts of either assembly until we see the as pulled pics.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - 07/07/13 at 15:43:14

Okay, so I removed my cover tday. There seems to be some freeplay between the release arm and the release cam. If I hold the arm still, I can wiggle the Cam a little bit. The arm doesn't look especially rounded, though.

IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - 07/07/13 at 15:50:16

And here it is installed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/07/13 at 15:59:26

well,, im seriously shocked,, i really thot your throw out was busted.. now that youre in there, look at the clutch pack,, the rod pokiun out in the middle,, how much ya got there?

IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - 07/07/13 at 16:11:44

The rod sticks out about 7/16 of an inch. I shouldn't be able to push this rod in at all, correct? Because I can't.

IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - 07/07/13 at 16:19:50

Also, that missing tooth can't be good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/07/13 at 16:32:13

NOw that its sittin that way, just to prove that clutch pack hadnt jhammed on that busted piece, Id grab a few bolts & slap the cover on, no gasket, no oil, no nothin,, just hook the clutch cable up & see if it can be adjusted,,dont try to disengage the clutch, dont squeeze the lever, just see if you can adjust the cable so the lever ,, heck! There it is,, the Lever!,, just slap the cover on & see if how the lever on the engine is different now, 2 or 3 bolts, no need to even torque them, just snug them down easy & see if that lever still flops up & down, dont get "Big Man" on it,, because all the pressure will be applied to just whatever bolts you put in, dont risk loading that cover up wonky,

edit

when you took the cover off, did you hear, see or feel anything that would make you believe the clutch pack was hung " disengaged" on that broken spot? can you see a sign of anything having pressed on the end of the busted spot?

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #13 - 07/07/13 at 17:56:13

You have the cable adjusted for full slack on both ends. Looks like you need to adjust the cable, it is adjusted so loosely that the clutch does not disengage when the clutch lever is in. What position is the clutch release arm in with the cable attached and clutch lever in. If it's near the top line like the pic with your finger pushing up on it , then the clutch is not being disengaged by the cable. Need to adjust the cable the other way on both ends of the cable.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/07/13 at 18:01:28

cant believe i missed that,, but then,, i cant believe someone would do that,, my bad,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:13:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch adjustment, bad spring or something else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.