Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike will not start Grrrrr! (Read 225 times)
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Bike will not start Grrrrr!
07/10/13 at 14:57:09

OK, Monday evening I was goofing around on the drive and there were a number of start ups, but everything seemed fine when I put it in the garage. Tuesday night I come and hit the start button, just a clank, no start. I figured I drained the battery down. I put it on the battery tender and about a half hour later it fired right up. So I grab the helmet and hop on, clank, no start. I left it on the tender all night and today. Still no start. Seller said battery was new. All lights work are working. What should I look at?

1999 LS650 Dyna muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslavy
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Bike will not start Grrrrr!
Reply #1 - 07/10/13 at 15:03:33

I would check the 3 main safety circuits...

1. Kill switch next to the throttle (embarrassing mistake, but all too frequent)  Embarrassed
2. Kickstand up, or bike in Neutral (switch has been known to fail)
3. Clutch pulled in (switch has been known to fail)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
NormH3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Delaware
Reply #2 - 07/10/13 at 15:05:25

I'm no expert, but I would check the battery anyway.

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #3 - 07/10/13 at 15:23:56

EJID wrote on 07/10/13 at 15:03:33:
I would check the 3 main safety circuits...

1. Kill switch next to the throttle (embarrassing mistake, but all too frequent)  Embarrassed
2. Kickstand up, or bike in Neutral (switch has been known to fail)
3. Clutch pulled in (switch has been known to fail)

But if these were the case the starter would not engage at all, true?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/10/13 at 15:28:36

you need to get a voltmeter on it, even new batteries fail.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/10/13 at 15:35:57

you did slap the battery a little,,test w/ volt meter, if low, check h2o level,( if unsure of it)& charge it if thats whsat it needs.. 12.5 is a hot battery,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/10/13 at 15:37:11

Battery, if you have the stock wet cell, check the fluid levels. Summers in Dixie are tough on old fashioned batteries.

Once it is topped off, fluid and charge, and passes a load test, check the safeties.

1. Kickstand switch is notorious for giving out with no warning signs. Unhook the clip from the switch, jumper bike side connector box with a paperclip, if the bike starts, switch failed. Replace or bypass.

2. Clutch switch. See above.

3. Kill switch. Been seeing spiders in the garage? Open up the switch box, remove the egg casing... Been there... more than once... very annoying. Deleted the switch boxes (for looks more than anything else)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #7 - 07/10/13 at 16:32:05

WD wrote on 07/10/13 at 15:37:11:
Battery, if you have the stock wet cell, check the fluid levels. Summers in Dixie are tough on old fashioned batteries.

Once it is topped off, fluid and charge, and passes a load test, check the safeties.

1. Kickstand switch is notorious for giving out with no warning signs. Unhook the clip from the switch, jumper bike side connector box with a paperclip, if the bike starts, switch failed. Replace or bypass.

2. Clutch switch. See above.

3. Kill switch. Been seeing spiders in the garage? Open up the switch box, remove the egg casing... Been there... more than once... very annoying. Deleted the switch boxes (for looks more than anything else)...

Once again, if it was a switch failure, would the starter not engage? I hear a clunk when hit the switch.

It is supposedly a AMG gel battery (new ha ha). I'm inclined to believe it is the battery, yet how long would a battery tender take to recharge it? The light is green, but soon as I try to crank it goes to red.

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #8 - 07/10/13 at 16:43:42

OK, I checked the battery with a meter. Got just a little over 1 volt. But! Is this a battery issue or something else in the system? Before I spring for a new battery.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/10/13 at 16:49:19

a tender isnt a charger, its a maintainer, take it to a parts store, letr them charge/test battery,
a charger, a no kidding battery charger, is a tool ive had for 30 years. everyone needs a charger, id get one with a " start" , charge , trickle switch, something that will toss some juice or just go easy, but its hard on a $5.00 float charger to charge one. aint happenin quick if its low. all the electrons have to go thru that whisker thin wire,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #10 - 07/10/13 at 17:35:49

Alrighty now! Pulled the battery out and check it. 12.83 volts. Battery good! Based on my experience of rolling off the drive Monday I am now suspecting the kickstand switch. I will check that tomorrow evening.

May explain why it briefly started last night...

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #11 - 07/10/13 at 18:07:18

WD wrote on 07/10/13 at 15:37:11:

I think this may be the issue. It looks like a plug from pics I've looked at. How would I go about jumpering/bypassing it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/10/13 at 18:38:51

you got an ohm meter? connect across wires coming from sidestand switch, operate switch by hand, should go from infinite to 0 ohm when pressed in, if not, the short between the wires going from the plug up to the bike, that way it will believe the stand is up,
now, be very careful not to ride off, stand down, & get hurt

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/10/13 at 19:31:59

I snipped the wires off and twisted them together when the bike was maybe 2 months old, so March or April of 1998. Lived in Long Beach MS at the time, between the salt and the humidity, it was toast. Covered the twist with a wire nut, no problems since then (from that circuit). I've also deleted/bypassed the clutch switch on my Savage and Lisa's 96 800 Intruder. Plus her clutch switch.

Failure prone disasters in the making. They normally fail in the backside of nowhere, in the rain, at night, with no cell coverage.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #14 - 07/11/13 at 16:40:09

OK, out of the bike battery tested good 12.84 volts. Kickstand switch removed and bypassed. Clutch switch jumpered. Still no start, just the starter going clank. What next?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike will not start Grrrrr!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.