King/Queen seat (Read 145 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
King/Queen seat
07/02/13 at 13:40:25

Anybody ever tried to mount something like this on their savage?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1978-GL1000-Goldwing-Seat-w-Trim-Strip-Aftermar...

I took a quick look at the one on my GL1000 and it looks nearly as long as the savage frame.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: King/Queen seat
Reply #1 - 07/02/13 at 13:53:34

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 07/02/13 at 19:17:12

That's actually a touring bucket seat. Adapting one to a Savage is going to require sourcing one from a KZ400/440, CB450/500T or similar size 1970s or 1980s p-twin.

Good luck, fitting any seat other than the 2 stock offerings is a pain in the neck, literally (mostly from trying to see what you are doing, the stock frame is an oddball).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 07/03/13 at 07:12:26

Thanks for the comments.  Verslagen, thanks for the links.

It looks like nobody's ever done it.

I'm beginning to see the problems with the stock seat as I am riding more and longer distances on this bike.  The other day my 11 year old son and I went riding.  After about an hour and a half, he said something on the order of 'Daddy, I think we need to stop for a minute. I can't feel my butt anymore'.  Sure enough, I hadn't noticed it either but mine was completely numb too.

The big touring bucket is the most comfortable seat I ever had on any bike. Lots of room and just enough cushion to make it comfortable for all day. Did manufacturers decide good seating was something for the aftermarket or something like that?

WD, I have definitely noticed that the frame is sort of oddball.  The frame ends under the seat and the fender supports everything back from there.  Undecided  What happened to frames that extend to the back of the seat and passenger footpegs on rigid mount, not the swingarm?  And, what would I do about that big dip for the front seat? All the older seats are relatively flat bottomed.

When did bikes shrink?  Back in the day, a 650 was a big bike.  This one is sort of small.  It actually feels smaller than my CB 350. But, with lots more power. Grin  I sat on a CB1100 the other day, that thing is tiny.

End rant about things changing.

I'll be taking a close look to see what I can figure out.  I certainly wouldn't mind the seat height being raised a few inches.  It would probably have some undesireable effects on balance, though.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/03/13 at 09:22:08

Savage has the same wheelbase as my CL72 (1963 Honda 250 Scrambler), but weighs less.  Huh

Savage has pretty much the same squashed up tiny frame as my last Harley Davidson (1957 Panhead FL engine shoehorned into a Knucklehead rigid frame).

Comfortable stock seats? Last one I rode was a JD from about 1929... kidding, Suzuki is known for having horrible seats. The Savage is quite cushy compared to an 800 Intruder (I ride the pillion as the rider seat, terrible ergonomics stock). Best metric seats are Kawasaki, followed very closely by Honda.

I'm adapting a Kawasaki VN800A 2 up seat for my 98 Savage, which also has a cut down solo seat and I'm working on a kit to adapt Road King police solo seats (which are the exact same part as used on "vintage" KZ900/1000 Kawasaki police bikes). Adapting a Kawasaki Vulcan (VN) seat isn't hard, just need to custom fab some brackets, but, my bike hasn't had a stock rear fender in years...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:27:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › King/Queen seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.