Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fiberglass King/Queen seat (Read 178 times)
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Fiberglass King/Queen seat
01/27/12 at 13:55:14

I would like to build a fiberglass seat pan for my trusty thumper. Alas! problems... I want it to have a hump like in the picture below. Would anyone be able to tell me... If I were to mock up the hump with cardboard and then fiberglass over it, Would the seat be structurally sound? i.e. Would I be able to put my wife's caboose on this thing without it collapsing?

IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fiberglass King/Queen seat
Reply #1 - 01/27/12 at 19:44:19

American Dreams in Japan does a traditional style king and queen seat that utilizes the factory backrest, and it seems to work fine.

http://www.american-dreams.jp/shopMail/frame14.html

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/27/12 at 21:10:08

MulletViper wrote on 01/27/12 at 13:55:14:
I would like to build a fiberglass seat pan for my trusty thumper. Alas! problems... I want it to have a hump like in the picture below. Would anyone be able to tell me... If I were to mock up the hump with cardboard and then fiberglass over it, Would the seat be structurally sound? i.e. Would I be able to put my wife's caboose on this thing without it collapsing?

http://www.chrome-addiction.com/prodimages/drag-specialties_ds-901200.jpg

cardboard to make the shape then resin/epoxy let it cure then fiberglass w/ more resin/epoxy..

resin/epoxy an old shoe box to see how strong it is

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/27/12 at 23:03:42

MulletViper wrote on 01/27/12 at 13:55:14:
Would anyone be able to tell me... If I were to mock up the hump with cardboard and then fiberglass over it, Would the seat be structurally sound? i.e. Would I be able to put my wife's caboose on this thing without it collapsing?

Since you're covering it with fiberglass, the cardboard plays no part in the finished strength, just weight unless you can peel it out afterwards.

Just make sure to have enough glass on it to be strong enough.
Not a bad idea to try a small box then stomp the crap out of it.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/27/12 at 23:23:17

I serously doubt it would carry the weight without some sound metal supports below. I modeled a fender out of fiberglass once over a cardboard mold... I was not happy with sturdiness at all. Engineer a braced metal piece under the fiber, that's my advice.

IP Logged
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Reply #5 - 01/28/12 at 12:39:14

I was thinking that the fiberglass wouldn't be strong enough, just wanted to make sure since this will be my first time using the stuff. I think I want to try building up the hump with layers of foam glued together. After I get it covered, does anyone think the shape may shift? I want to only have to do this once, and do it right. You guys are like my own private think tank

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 01/28/12 at 15:11:01

Go ahead and do it right then, don't crappity smack with the fiber glass and fab some metal, foam pad it.. and cover it with your choice of fabric... like a real seat.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/29/12 at 01:25:36

yup. Wife is too important to drop and lose, hehehehe

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 01/29/12 at 07:58:23

MulletViper wrote on 01/28/12 at 12:39:14:
I was thinking that the fiberglass wouldn't be strong enough, just wanted to make sure since this will be my first time using the stuff. I think I want to try building up the hump with layers of foam glued together. After I get it covered, does anyone think the shape may shift? I want to only have to do this once, and do it right. You guys are like my own private think tank

arent surfboards made that way..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/29/12 at 08:08:26

It seems so... none of us can vouch for shape shift or load bearing, MulletViper... I personally want to sit on something proven.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/29/12 at 08:44:09

I can't see anything close to that, fitting on our stock frame...
... but if you do manage it, it's going to be a very top heavy ride... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/29/12 at 09:13:50

IF I was determined, Id get a used seat & strip it to the pan, Build a cardboard mockup & figure where to put angle braces on the pan to mount the fiberglass, The underside, I dont think, can be left open. It will need a X in it to make it strong in the side to side area. Y9ou can biuild it, but its not gonna be a one day project.. gonna take some layin in bed & thinking time, what to do & WHEN to do it,, to make it work out..

YOu ever start assembling something only to have to take something back\ apart because something else had to get put together first? Thats "Building yourself a bear trap".. & fabricating something leaves many opportunities for just that,, Think it thru first, all the way,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 01/30/12 at 04:07:00

On a period seat like that, the hump is usually a high density foam with a softer layer over it so the seat has a touch of "give".

You can build the hump in with fiberglass, you just have to make a frame from 10 gauge steel wire or 1/8" bar stock before you start laying up the glass and resin. Use a heavy mat on both sides of the wire form, and make double sure to get every air pocket out. If you aren't used to fiberglass, white/light colored spots are air pockets. Use a good body filler spreader to force out excess resin. Two layers top and bottom, then 2 layers of tight woven glass cloth on the top. Cure for a couple weeks, then rivet some marine grade carpet over the top. Cut foam of your choice to shape, round and sand the edges. Cover the foam with a rubberized (backside only) outdoor fabric, then upholster with a marine or arctic weight vinyl or aircraft grade deerskin.

I've taken a few of those seats apart over the years. The high end ones have a steel seat pan with carpet on both sides.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:00:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fiberglass King/Queen seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.