Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil question ok, ok, I know...wade in with caution (Read 195 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Oil question ok, ok, I know...wade in with caution
06/03/13 at 17:44:13

Seems obvious but I need to verify...here in Ontario, Canada, I found the Shell Rotella T and T6 at Walmart as noted on here, and I do see it mentioned that this oil is good for diesel or motorcycle engines. However, it does make me nervous because it literally says nothing on the label regarding motorcycles. I'm just being a nervous Nellie right? It's the right oil noted here on this site? Thanks.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Oil question ok, ok, I know...wade in with cau
Reply #1 - 06/03/13 at 17:48:58

It has the jaso rating for motorcycle wet clutches. Its listed on the bottle.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/03/13 at 17:54:02

dear nellie, if our word isn't good enough for you, check your owners manual for the oil rating required, then check the back of the jug for compliance.

WWW   IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/03/13 at 19:19:28

verslagen...not an issue of not taking your word for it. I'm just trying to verify that there aren't differences in oil type / label per country in this fine continent we share.

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/03/13 at 19:20:58

And my used bike didn't come with an owner's manual and the one I downloaded from this site makes no mention of using diesel oil. Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/03/13 at 20:03:20

oh, you're looking for diesel oil... never mind.

WWW   IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/03/13 at 20:10:35

Sorry...maybe my initial post was unclear. The Rotella here at my local Walmart is only labelled as diesel oil with no mention of motorcycle usage noted on the label that I can find. Sorry for my initial lack of clarity. I am not looking for diesel oil, obviously.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/03/13 at 20:44:55

Many of us were using it long prior to the JASO stuff on the jug. Its a great diesel oil. It doesnt have "friction modifiers" & still has ZDDP, which is removed from auto oils, so the cataclysmic perverter will survive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 06/03/13 at 21:09:31

It's the right stuff...  You can use it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 03:13:32

Look at the back of the bottle where it states all the standards that it meets. It does meet JASO-MA standards

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 14:36:23

Thanks for your help, for the clarification. The specific oils recommended on this site seem so important to the long-term well-being of our bikes that I just wanted to be sure before purchasing. Much appreciated.

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #11 - 07/02/13 at 20:24:55

Glad you asked because I had the same question as I was standing here in Walmart and didn't have time to wait for a reply.

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 07/02/13 at 23:02:49

And to make you kick yourself in the butt a bit... Super Tech actually scores out with a higher rating... for about 2/3 the price of Rotella... check the bob's the oil guy site (ask oldfeller). I've used it almost exclusively for several years in vintage engines, with out any damage. Air cooled, water cooled, gas, diesel, single cylinder, multicylinder...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 07/03/13 at 03:44:56

WD wrote on 07/02/13 at 23:02:49:
And to make you kick yourself in the butt a bit... Super Tech actually scores out with a higher rating... for about 2/3 the price of Rotella... check the bob's the oil guy site (ask oldfeller). I've used it almost exclusively for several years in vintage engines, with out any damage. Air cooled, water cooled, gas, diesel, single cylinder, multicylinder...

This is quite a situation, where Walmart's stuff, normally thought of as crap, is actually pretty good.  Several other of their automotive/hardware/sporting goods products are that way.  The trick is to find out some way to objectively assess which is good and which just looks good, AND, then to find out if and when they change any of the formulations. Walmart changes suppliers in a heartbeat if they can save one penny per item.

Please let us know what evidence you have backing up this statement: "Super Tech actually scores out with a higher rating."

I was born a skeptic.  I need proof of just about everything in life before I modify my "understandings."  By asking for proof, I'm not making a statement,.. I'm simply wanting to know how you know this.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 07/03/13 at 04:38:37

Part of the thing with Wally is they buy so much oil they have to get it from different suppliers, even at the same point in time.

Wally gets the majority from Warren Oil which uses recycled base stocks from Safety Kleen and the other major oil recyclers.  Not only is this legal, it is becoming REQUIRED that recycled base stocks be purchased and used by all oil manufacturers.  The big boys just dump their "relatively small" required amounts in their very first first step with the crude oil and make no mention of it afterwards as it is such a small percentage and an oil molecule is an oil molecule to them after going through the entire refining process.   They are just satisfying requirements to use the stuff at all, they certainly aren't going to spend any time tracking it or talking about it.  (some even sell it to Warren on the sly, resenting having been forced to buy it by Uncle in the first place.  They don't want to mess up their equipment in any fashion by having to deal with it).

Folks like Warren use a whole lot more recycled base stock as a input percentage but once again, an oil molecule is an oil molecule to them.  

Folks make a big thing about sheared molecules making up a larger percentage of molecules found in recycled base stocks, I counter that negative with the 15-20% of the uniform and more robust full synthetic molecules contained in the same lot of recycled oil (all the oil taken out of our sumps goes into the recycler after all and 20% is a good meatball for the amount of synthetic in the dump oil at any time).  

So, a glass full sorta guy says his Wally Universal is really a synthetic blend .....

I guess pure virgin base stock is really better than recycled, but you pay more for that privilege now, don't you?   And I put T6 full synthetic in my bike anyway so I am impervious to overheating ....  (I need that sometimes).   So I am dispassionate about the whole recycle deal as I don't buy any of it anyway.    

You see, I buy me some 100% recycled catalytically cracked waste wax for my oil base stock.    Wink

Now, lookie here at the data and understand the source -- Petroleum Institute of America started out by testing CRAP oils to show people just how crappy they are.  So they test all oils using an UOA format showing all the wear contaminants just to tell you if it is there or not.   So the PIOA test is somewhat different than a Blackstone Labs standard test format.

Wally Universal Motor Oil

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/supertech.htm

Now, to support WD's claims with hard data

Compare it to Rotella T using the exact same methodology

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/rotella.htm

Remember, these are single bottle samples taken by buying the stuff at retail and then testing it.   PIOA does their own lab tests, so don't expect them to be totally comparable except back to their own data if you are comparing two different oils.   Comparing a PIOA to a Blackstone is sorta futile for fine detailed comparison, in other words.

Both guys give you an expected range that was developed from their own test data, so look at that range when judging the oils.

Single bottle tests are not the be all end all of oil testing anyway, so variations within a population can account for what WD saw when he looked at this set of tests.   But what it does say is the Wally oil isn't bad for a dino oil that you will change twice a year.   Quite nice, actually.

=============

Your other source is Bob Is The Oil Guy and that requires you to dig the information out by searches, etc.   Better information is available at Bob's with lots of full discussions though.  

Warren Wally oil gets some respect at Bob's that it has simply earned over time.  

Warren oil is in rounded jugs, the more angular jugs tend to be various major suppliers purchased to make up the rest of what is needed by Wally in any particular class of oil.  See what sort of name brand oil uses that same bottle and those same sorts of lot markings, and you have spotted the real mgf of the Wally brand you are looking at.    

What?  It is the same lot number?   Imagine that .....

Quite a few folks know this trick and they will snap up any SuperTech that shows up in angular jugs as it IS name brand oil being sold at a discount by Wally just to meet their business model plan.

=============

Lastly, ZDDP bumping.   The discussions on the amount of ZDDP required to fully support flat tappet engines still rage all over the net, in cars and in bikes.  Most think over 1,250 ppm is needed.   ZDDP numbers like 1,350 to 1,850 are preferred by most places that discuss this in any detail.

As a list, we recommend you have a jug of ZDDP bumper and you use it as NO OIL SOLD TODAY HAS ENOUGH ZPPD TO SUPPORT A PERFORMANCE ENGINE WITH FORKED FLAT TAPPETS.  Nothing has yet been found to replace ZDDP completely, it still performs the very best of any of the additive packages that have ever used in oils.

Eh, OK, a bone stock Savage mebbe might not be considered a performance engine, but quite a few engines here on the list have been modded to the point they ARE performance engines.  

When the Dragon boys get together almost all of the engines are performance engines .....

« Last Edit: 07/03/13 at 06:47:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil question ok, ok, I know...wade in with caution

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.