Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
boosting the thumper (Read 5206 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: boosting the thumper
Reply #90 - 03/27/14 at 13:32:15

Yeah it goes without saying that it's a lot faster, instantly quick off the line. But I can't nail it until I get the fuelling sorted. Right now, it's just not getting enough. I'll probably have to jet the CV as big as possible - failing that I'll either have to reduce the boost or get a different carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #91 - 03/27/14 at 21:22:47

By ALL means, get a bigger CARB!!!

Heck,, I dunno,, wouldnt wanna see ya blow it up,, if you gotta reduce the boost to get it running right, that mite just be the smart move. Can ya Re-gear the blower & slow it down?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #92 - 03/28/14 at 00:37:16

Yeah, I'm going to jet the CV as good as I can. It will be good if the CV provides a little bit of a restriction for the boost levels. If I put a bigger carb it might even make more boost.

I can re-gear the blower fairly easily by putting either a bigger pulley on the supercharger - or a smaller pulley on the drive.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #93 - 04/27/14 at 14:55:54

Quick update. I hunted out a smaller pulley from the wrecker yard. Went from a 100mm to a 92mm pulley. This has reduced the boost from spiking at 15psi to 11psi. When I whip the throttle open the boost spikes up to 11psi and settles to 7psi. Which is good. No more detonation.

I've got the jetting pretty sorted methinks. I'm running a 12.5 (VM) pilot in the CV with 2 tiny washers in place of the white spacer (no washers caused fuel to seep out from the needle constantly) and a 190 main.

Goes well, but I've noticed that cruising slowly into a corner in 2nd and then opening the throttle when the revs are low can cause the motor to cut out... might need to tweak something there.

It's surprising how smooth and instant the power is, and how quickly I've just gotten used to it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #94 - 04/28/14 at 04:33:02

What kind of riding have you done so far ?
speeds ?
seat of the pants acceleration ?
or are things still to early to try that yet ?

Very interesting following what you've done.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 04/28/14 at 14:57:30

Not a lot of riding of any significance yet. I've just taken it around the streets, to a mates house a few times, around the streets some more. It's quite loud and I get a lot of angry looks from the public.

Speeds.. probably up to 80km/h whats that for you yankies.. 50mph? I'm increasing the speeds incrementally as I'm listening for any detonation and watching my air/fuel gauge closely.

Seat of pants. The SC delivers instant pull, so there is no lag or anything like that like a turbo. It's more like riding a larger displacement bike. First gear seems pretty short, I boost off in first and hook second hard (to avoid the quite obvious savage neutral) then it pulls hard in 2nd and I usually run out of road and have to slow down by 3rd.  Cheesy

I thought the SC would make a loud whine like a hotrod but it doesn't. You can't really hear it mainly over the loudness of my drag-pipe. Which is still too loud.

It's quite hard to measure the performance yet. It was off the road for so long while I built it that I've almost forgotten what it was like before. I would like to put it on a dyno to see what it's actually producing.

I'm still slightly concerned with the heat. I've been thinking back towards that oil-cooler thread again.. should I.. or shouldn't I

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #96 - 04/28/14 at 16:57:00

Put a cylinder head temp gauge on the little beasty.
It may not be ideal, but it will give you something to go by.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #97 - 04/28/14 at 18:16:09

Hope you have a friendly WOF person, or aren't you going to bother?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 04/28/14 at 19:01:48

I haven't got to that yet. I'm thinking.. if I turn up without the belt on it.. then they can't really fail me on it.  Cool

Otherwise I'll just remove it entirely.. cover up the crank pulley somehow and then put it all back on again.

Or go get a cert.

« Last Edit: 04/29/14 at 18:52:06 by savagebob »  
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #99 - 04/29/14 at 18:53:39

From the looks of it a standard sav with exhaust and carb mods nets around 32hp at the rear wheel

Can anyone tell me what the maximum dyno proven power output for a modified savage is from this site?

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #100 - 05/01/14 at 15:57:26

Another update for anyone who is interested. Took bike out last night for some good runs up to 120kmph but I think the CV carb is just too small.

The bike pulls hard in low revs, but it falls off the power took quickly in 1st and 2nd..it demands a gear change way earlier than it should. So basically you need to shift gears quickly to keep the revs low so it can flow enough air. I think with higher revs it just can't suck anymore air through.

I don't think it's about jet sizes, i've been chasing my tail, I think it's about the amount of air that can be drawn through that carb. Say, at 3,000rpm the engine and boost is demanding a lot more air and not getting it.

So, I'm going to remove the BS40 carb and put something bigger on.. maybe a SU carb from a Harley, 45mm.. which should flow way more air though. I'll let you know results.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #101 - 06/30/14 at 19:33:37

Ok I'm back. I was right about the savage CV carb being too small, even with the largest jets it simply couldn't flow the air required. I starting tinkering with a SU HIF6 (44mm) which was massive.. and heavy! I quickly gave up on that when the throttle shafts were leaking and I didn't want to spend money on it knowing it was probably too large.

Got myself the popular Keihin CV40 off a Harley (40mm). Threw a jet kit in it guessing the settings and took bike out and holy crap what a difference it made.  Shocked

It's another beast now. 1st gear is short, launch and change then a HUGE pull in second and you've run out of street. Boosting in 3rd and I'm in loss of license speeds. I'll need to take out out somewhere decent for a proper strop. But I'm over boosting again, I'd put a smaller pulley on to reduce boost, but now with the larger unrestricted carb I'm back to making too much boost (15-20psi). So I'll like to pull that back again if I can.

It goes hard enough to impress my mate who rides a Honda VFR800 Interceptor.. Cool

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #102 - 07/01/14 at 00:29:21

Sounds like your making some good progress.  Wink Good old Kiwi ingenuity  Wink Another Burt Munro in the making.  Smiley
Other than getting a cert you could always buy a cheap savage registered and WOF swap the plates WOF and Reg onto the beast you have just created. When a WOF is due swap back and take the cheap Savage for the WOF done. Smiley
If you do Cert it do everything first. Think about any cosmetic changes etc.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #103 - 07/01/14 at 02:26:35

Thank god or someone that no one from MOPP (Ministry of Petty Prosecutions) or MOOC (Ministry of Offence Creation) is likely to read your posts Mr Marshall.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #104 - 07/01/14 at 03:13:46

jcstokes wrote on 07/01/14 at 02:26:35:
Thank god or someone that no one from MOPP (Ministry of Petty Prosecutions) or MOOC (Ministry of Offence Creation) is likely to read your posts Mr Marshall.

Roll Eyes I was forced at gun point to say those things.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:32:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › boosting the thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.