Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Connect passing light switch to strobe (Read 334 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Connect passing light switch to strobe
Reply #15 - 08/12/13 at 09:59:49

Serowbot:

I had heard about that.....and I found and read this article last week.

http://www.motoress.com/readarticle.asp?articleid=730&c=technique

On Saturday afternoon I rode over to Rabbit Hash, Kentucky, and I tried to use the methods when approaching intersections....hoping to make myself more visible.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 08/12/13 at 10:05:58

Thanks for finding that, Dave... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/12/13 at 10:51:53

Ive beenb using that for a long time, had no idea why my motion across the lane made me more visible, I could just tell I was seen better,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 09/23/13 at 05:51:36

Well I finally had a rainy Saturday morning to get this thing completed.  In order to connect the new LED warning light to the Passing Switch I had to remove the side panels, seat, tank, and left handlebar electrical control so I could tap into the switch and run a wire to the new light....and I hate wasting good riding weather while tearing things apart.

Things went smoothly and it works well.  The light has 19 possible patterns and I have not yet picked out for certain the best one to use.  Originally I had planned on installing a strobe in the headlight - but those all take "drivers" that are boxes that must be mounted somewhere else, and they are made big enough to handle 4 or more lights....so they are somewhat big and heavy for what I needed.  I finaly found an LED light that is all self contained and easy to wire.

Here is what the LED Warning light looks like under the headlight.

And here is what the light looks like with the current flash mode....I have 18 other patterns and need to see which one I like best.
View My Video

« Last Edit: 09/23/13 at 08:22:44 by Dave »  

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 09/23/13 at 08:08:19

Sweet!  I like it.  

Where's the instructions and in-progress pics?   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 09/23/13 at 08:34:26

Babyhog:

I wasn't too good about documenting the process.

This is where I got the light.  They have several - I picked the smallest one.

http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup.asp?cid=13&pid=923&offset=0

This is what the light looked like after I made a bracket for it:

One wire goes to ground, one wire goes to the power and a second wire is attached to it for the alternating left/right lights, another wire is unused as it connects the warning light to other warning lights if you want them synchronized, and the last wire is temporarily touched to a ground to change the flash pattern.  The electrical control on the left handlebar with the flasher has a yellow wire that is connected to another yellow wire in the wiring harness....about 4 inches down from the control....one wire is connected to the passing switch and the other wire is from the high beam switch.  I had to open up the harness, cut the yellow wire off, and then connect it to a wire and thread it through the harness that goes to the headlight bucket.  If you don't have a passing switch you could install an extra switch somewhere....or as someone suggested earlier you could connnect the light to your horn button.

Here is another light they sell that has a housing and bracket built into the light.  It is a bit more expensive and slightly bigger width and depth wise - but would be easier to mount.

http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup.asp?cid=32&pid=695&offset=0

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 09/23/13 at 09:31:54

Thanks Dave.  I might just try it this winter.  I used to work at a place that sold lights like that, but I moved from that area.  I still have the connection, so maybe I'll email them a pic and see what they have similar.  Surely less than $60!

On another note -- wonder if there are any regulations to running strobes?  Like I know here, blue lights are reserved for police.  But I guess if you aren't running it constantly, it shouldn't be an issue.  It was super foggy this morning, waayyyyy to foggy to ride or be seen, but I could see strobes really helping out if you get caught out in heavy fog.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 09/23/13 at 09:42:47

Babyhog:

I am sure we can't run red or blue lights - those are for the emergency folks.  Purple is for funeral.....so that is out.  I have also seen that the brake light is illegal to have flash.....for more than just a few flashes after the initial application.....it has to stop flashing and burn steady.

The construction folks around here run their white and yellow flashing lights all the time.....even on the run down the highway to get lunch.  They never seem to have any issues and just drive on down the road with their lights flashing.  I also was on the interstate and a Honda Goldwing had very bright white spot lights on the sides of the headlight....and they flashed alternately the entire time he was riding.  It was so annoying in my rear view mirror I slowed down so he would pass me.

I only intend to use this LED Warning light when I am not sure if someone sees me.  The original high beam passing light was intimidating to me, as a lot of people in this area flash their high beam in order to give you permission to pull out...which is not what I want to happen.

If you get a light and want help.....let me know.

Dave    

« Last Edit: 12/07/17 at 19:32:34 by Dave »  

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #23 - 09/23/13 at 10:18:27

here is a good video explaining the effect of the 'smidsy'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

i put a headlight modulator on my bike

http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm

it works pretty well.... though i have a had a few oncoming cars flash their lights at me for some reason.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #24 - 09/23/13 at 12:52:37

this is a great idea - another upgrade to add to the list  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com