Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
sidestand switch (Read 449 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
sidestand switch
09/12/13 at 14:23:56

Hey everyone,hope everything is cool,just a quick q - should my 1988 savage start with the sidestand  down,(presuming its in neutral and the sidestand switch is in place and working).I would try it, but at the moment we're seperated by a few miles (and its 11 0'clock at night so I dont think the neighbours would be too happy either - miserable dicks  Smiley), cheers Steve

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: sidestand switch
Reply #1 - 09/12/13 at 15:04:09

Theoretically,  yes, it should start. Do yourself a favor, cut the wires and twist the bike side of the harness together. The switches are flimsy, failure prone, miserable little bits of excess weight. Once the wiring is spliced, dismount and discard the switch.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 09/12/13 at 15:16:04

I disagree with WD. I do not think it is ever advisable to bypass or remove a safety. If it doesn't work correctly, repair it. I can understand a TEMPORARY bypass for troubleshooting, or perhaps for a return to somewhere where a proper repair can be made. Not to mention any possible legal liability which might befall me were I to advise removal of a safety and were you to get hurt as a result.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/12/13 at 15:30:48

Good Gawd! Look at whereweare.

Grown man takes advice to REmove a Safety Interlock & THEN wants to spank whoever said he should? Give me strength, Lord..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/12/13 at 15:56:36

Anybody know when mfrs. decided to(or were forced to) install gadgets such as this. My S40 is the only motorcycle I've ever owned with such a thing on it.

Mine still works, but if it ever gives me any trouble it's history. I'm too old to be skeered of the sidestand police. Wink

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 09/12/13 at 16:24:53

My '83 Suzuki Tempter had a clutch safety interlock - the starter would not work unless the clutch was pulled in. I do not remember any other safeties on it, unless you count the Neutral light. When Suzuki first introduced the Savage it had a clutch safety (I think) and a "Sidestand" light in the speedometer cluster (the blank space for which is still there). By the next year it had a sidestand interlock, though I do not know what other interlocks might have been there. My old Honda Helix scooter (about '85) had no sidestand interlock, but it had an interlock on the starter that required the rear brake to be applied. With no neutral on its automatic transmission that made sense. Current automatic scooters usually require either brake be applied and the sidestand to be up to start.

While we may decry such safeties, and bewail the "nanny state" for forcing them upon us, we also have to remember that such safeties usually result from people getting hurt. If we, as operators, always followed the correct procedures such safeties would be unneeded. Too, if we as operators follow correct procedures the operation of the safeties is "transparent" in the sense that they will never bother us. The biggest gripe seems to be that the safeties may fail (not all that common despite forum complaints) and leave us stranded.

Okay. I have had my say. You are free to believe whatever you like.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/12/13 at 16:45:34

I'm not being a wise guy - I honestly don't know. ( And I'm not going to try it myself) but does riding off with the stand down and then making a left turn always/often/sometimes, result in a crash? Seems like the stand would just fold back up when it hit the ground.

Or is the point just to keep you from starting the bike in gear, letting go of the clutch lever with the bike on the stand and having the bike lurch forward and tip over - More of a "Holy crap I'm a dumba**" issue than a safety one?

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/12/13 at 19:53:01

Maybe I'm dating myself, but when Kawasaki introduced the rocket sled 750 3-cylinder two-stroke (+/- 1970?), it developed a really bad reputation for the side stand deploying under HARD acceleration due to the incedible amount of vibration. As long as the rider caught it before turning left, all was OK. A good friend who rode (and loved) one, rigged a bungy cord fron stand to frame (I think) to prevent this.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 09/12/13 at 20:09:38

My '87 with functional switch starts no problem with sidestand down in neutral.

For the other question about wrecks...I think it would depend on how quickly you leaned.  If slow enough, it would probably catch just enough to bounce the bike a little, scare the crap out of you, and probably be pushed up.  A little quick on the lean and you're gonna get one heck of a bounce probably causing a wreck.  I always liked the little rubber thingy on Honda kickstands that would flip it up without any great big bounce or anything. The rubber thingy hit the road before the stand did.  Thought that was a great idea some engineer had.  A safety thing that requires 0 user intervention or accomodation that works.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 09/12/13 at 20:49:07

On the Double RYCA build, we jumped the sidestand switch and clutch switch wiring, then removed the switches.  I wanted it to be like the first several bikes I owned,...Lambretta 150, Cushman, Ducati 250, Norton Atlas, Yamaha ym-1, Suz t-500, etc.

see reply #156 here:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/156

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 05:18:51 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/13/13 at 00:19:45

oldNslow wrote on 09/12/13 at 16:45:34:
I'm not being a wise guy - I honestly don't know. ( And I'm not going to try it myself) but does riding off with the stand down and then making a left turn always/often/sometimes, result in a crash? Seems like the stand would just fold back up when it hit the ground.

Or is the point just to keep you from starting the bike in gear, letting go of the clutch lever with the bike on the stand and having the bike lurch forward and tip over - More of a "Holy crap I'm a dumba**" issue than a safety one?

I cant say what %age would crash if they stubbed the stand in a turn, but its caused wrecks,
Your curiosity could be satisfied if youreally want it,, P:Lease have someone video the experiment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 09/13/13 at 04:59:59

The first attempt at sidestand-crash-prevention, was a rubber "toe" that stuck down lower than the sidestand when the sidestand was down.  It would flex upward a little when the sidestand was down and the bike was on the sidestand. If you were riding around with the sidestand down, the rubber foot would hit the pavement before the actual bottom of the sidestand, thereby moving the sidestand to the rear before the metal of the stand touched the ground and caused a problem.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/13/13 at 05:14:55

The side stand switch has nothing to do with the starter function.  The side stand switch will shut off the ignition if the sidestand is down when you shift out of neutral and put the bike in gear.

If the sidestand switch fails....the ignition goes away in any gear except neutral.

I have been riding since 1968 or so, and the operation of a motorcycle clutch lever, sidestand, petcock, etc. is pretty well muscle memory for me.  My Cafe' conversion does not have the sidestand or clutch safety interlock anymore....and we get along just fine.  I can certainly see how these safety devices are a benefit for new riders....and can help them from making mistakes.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 09/13/13 at 05:20:47

Dave wrote on 09/13/13 at 05:14:55:
...I have been riding since 1968 or so, and the operation of a motorcycle clutch lever, sidestand, petcock, etc. is pretty well muscle memory for me.  My Cafe' conversion does not have the sidestand or clutch safety interlock anymore....and we get along just fine....

Ditto.  

1960, for me.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 09/13/13 at 18:29:10

A guy who used to ride with my cousin tried a fast left hander with his stand down not far from his home on a Honda and had to under go leg and shoulder surgery--not to mention missing over a month of work. I am definitely not for a nanny state, but some things just make sense to me.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:27:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sidestand switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.