Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help! My Savage refuses to start! (Read 572 times)
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help! My Savage refuses to start!
Reply #30 - 06/27/13 at 22:50:06

If your mechanic put it together wrong and misdiagnosed the failure, he should reimburse you the cost of the starter he replaced.  I am a car mechanic and that kind of crap would never fly.  It is a pain to get them to do it, but it is the right thing to do.  Good luck.

IP Logged
i2iot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 08/09/15 at 13:27:01

Hey everybody!  I've been lurking on the forum for a year now and have found it immensely helpful!!  I loaned my 07 Boulevard to my meth-head brother for a few months and had to pick up up last week when he went to start a long stretch in jail.  

Aside from having been laid over, a foot-peg replaced with a piece of steel, and some new scratches and dings... it wouldn't start and the problem I was having is 100% like this old thread.  He spray-painted the left cover and I don't think it worked after that based on the brand new oil change.

When trying to start it it just made a clicking sound.  I replaced the battery, tested the solenoid, and cleaned and tested the starter per the manual with a voltmeter.  It sounds like the starter is not engaging.

I verified the gear connected to the starter WILL spin in one direction.  According to this post a washer or some "clip" (not pictured in the Clymer manual) could be causing this issue.  

Can someone tell me if anything looks wrong here?

2015-08-09_15_10_50.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 08/09/15 at 13:39:10

yes, washer on wrong gear, s/b like this...

WWW   IP Logged
i2iot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 09/18/15 at 16:59:40

Thanks so much for the photo reply dude!  I finally got the new stator cover gasket, oil filter, oil and moved the washer from the right side to the left, when I tried to crank it it did this: http://youtu.be/3TfWR54Eka4. That's more noise than it was making when the washer was on the right, then it would only make the starter hum or just click. Any idea what could be going on now?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #34 - 09/18/15 at 17:15:46

Well, the motor is spinning.  That's much better than being bound up by a washer in the wrong place.

Is it spinning the right direction? Could be the sprague clutch is slipping if it is spinning the right direction.  Could be the torque limiter clutch is messed up somehow and just spinning instead of pulling.

Just from the sound, it sounds like the whole gear train is turning so I'm going to say either it's spinning backwards or the starter clutch is bad.  

Hope someone else has a better, less expensive idea.  If it's spinning backwards, make sure the battery is hooked up correctly.  If it is, the direction of rotation can be changed by rotating the brush plate 180 deg.
There is a spark plug in it?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
i2iot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 09/20/15 at 12:39:55

Thanks a lot for the reply Steve, the tip about the brush plate was terrific.  When it wasn't starting we cleaned the starter out, and must not have put it back together correctly.  After turning the brush plate in the starter IT TRIED TO CRANK!!, but the battery was SMOKING like crazy and the terminals on the battery were really hot.  The battery is brand new, and it smoked even harder when we hooked it up to a truck.  This is the 3rd battery we've tried in it.

Here's another video: https://youtu.be/gXHbJ66veYk

The horn sounded kinda weak.  I read it could be a grounding issue so we made an artificial ground with some jumper cables to the battery but it did the same thing.  We're thinking the starter is the issue?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 09/20/15 at 13:33:26

I would put a volt meter on it to see what the cranking voltage it.
but it sounds like a dead battery.  put it on charge overnite and see what happens.
you should not charge over 2 amps.  check the water while you're at it.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #37 - 09/20/15 at 14:30:11

That means you're pulling WAY too much current.  Something is shorting somewhere.

It's very bad for a battery to get hot enough that therminals are very hot.  You can blow them up that way.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 09/20/15 at 19:39:03

You're playing with fire.. If you're seeing smoke ,, things are getting really hot,  STOP.
And it's worse than the two times before, when you used the truck?
I'd be getting the starter checked out by a pro.

Guys, is there no fuse to protect the wiring harness that goes to the starter? Should the starter motor be Able to suck that much current?
I don't remember what the fuses were...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
i2iot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 02/26/17 at 18:55:17

I was browsing the forum and realized I didn't say how this story ended.. apparently the starter got burned out, probably from my brother trying to start it after putting that pesky washer on the wrong side. Replaced the starter and she has been running great ever since! Sadly she's all beat to hell and back now though. Don't loan your bike to a meth head.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 02/27/17 at 07:27:26

Don't loan your bike to a meth head.

Sage advice. But don't we all just wanna give someone One More Chance? I'm guilty of letting people screw me over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 02/27/17 at 18:08:44

JOG ,the key word being One , in one more chance,and yes we can all be had once.twice is our own fault.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 02/27/17 at 20:03:14

I know, dude,, it was complicated..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! My Savage refuses to start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.