Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help! My Savage refuses to start! (Read 572 times)
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Help! My Savage refuses to start!
06/23/13 at 16:37:43

Hi folks, after much searching of the forums and pouring over similar issues with no luck, I guess it's time to post my own starting issue here. I'm stuck.

The long and short of it is: the bike won't start up at all. I had it in to a mechanic for the well known head gasket leak issue (starting and running without a problem mind you), when I got a call from them saying that the starter was kaput and would need to be replaced to the tune of $500 plus labor. Well, I took the bike back, replaced both the starter motor and relay solenoid myself for good measure (both new parts checked out fine) and still no joy.

Symptoms: with the battery charged up and on the bike, lights all come on and look good. When I pull the clutch and hit the starter switch, all the lights dim significantly, and there's a single loud *click* from the starter relay. At one point there was a loud buzzing from the relay instead of a click, but that seems to have disappeared - think that was a combination of old starter/new relay or new starter/old relay... can't remember which.

I've had both an old battery (which I know worked in the past) and a brand new AGM from Autozone on a tender, fully charged, and can't get the engine to turn over with either.

I've pulled the spark plug to give a visual check and as far as I can tell, it looks good - doesn't appear to be bridged, worn, or otherwise fouled, but gave it a quick cleaning just in case. I carried out the spark test by holding the base of the plug against the engine body, but instead of the "fat blue spark" that folks have said means things check out, I either get a very weak spark across the gap, or no spark at all. Is this indicative of a bad plug or an issue elsewhere?

That's as far as I've gotten, and I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

-Dave

EDIT: I should mention, the bike is a 2001 with about 3300 miles - 2000 of which I put on. I bought it 3rd hand, but very gently used.

winterwalker   IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Re: Help! My Savage refuses to start!
Reply #1 - 06/23/13 at 16:45:18

Check to make sure that your plug on the right handle bar is actually plugged in, theres a clutch/neutral safety switch or something in there and the bike wont turn over if its unplugged. I learned the hard way on that one, apparently the locking tab was broken and after a little ride it vibrated out just enough that it wouldn't start again.

Hope this helps atleast some

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 06/23/13 at 17:12:33

From the sound of it, the starter solenoid is engaging (the "click") but the engine is not turning, which causes high current and the dimming of the lights. So the interlocks are working as they should. While I have not had to go into mine, I understand there is a washer or spacer in the starter drive system which can be incorrectly assembled, and which will cause this problem.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - 06/23/13 at 17:33:09

Thanks for the suggestion shovelbum! I checked out the controls, and everything seems tight and secure. Don't think that's what's causing the issue this time around, but I'll definitely remember that for future reference!

Yep Charon, that's what I kinda thought - solenoid is engaging, but the starter can't turn the engine. Is that washer/ spacer you're referencing in the starter motor, or the bike's drive? I've tested the starter off the bike, and it checks out - spins hard and fast. If in the starter motor, would that washer/ spacer let the starter spin while off the bike, but prevent from properly engaging when on? If in the drive, I can see that being a definite possibility.

Thanks!

winterwalker   IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 06/23/13 at 17:39:37

Is the decompression solenoid/ head unloader operating? Is there too much compression to get the starter going?

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 06/23/13 at 17:46:28

As I said, I have never had to work on mine. I believe the washer/spacer is somewhere in the drive. It is said to have a tendency to "jump" out on disassembly, and to fit in either of two places on reassembly. Only one is correct, and the other makes the system inoperable. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - 06/23/13 at 17:48:17

shovelbum87 wrote on 06/23/13 at 17:39:37:
Is the decompression solenoid/ head unloader operating? Is there too much compression to get the starter going?

I'm not really sure... how can I tell if the decompression solenoid and head unloader (or are those one and the same) are operating? Please forgive my ignorance here - I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I haven't had much experience troubleshooting and fixing motorcycle issues.   Embarrassed

winterwalker   IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - 06/23/13 at 17:54:03

Charon wrote on 06/23/13 at 17:46:28:
As I said, I have never had to work on mine. I believe the washer/spacer is somewhere in the drive. It is said to have a tendency to "jump" out on disassembly, and to fit in either of two places on reassembly. Only one is correct, and the other makes the system inoperable. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Well now that is a real possibility... can't say I have much faith in the mechanic who was doing repair work on my baby.  Undecided I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks Charon!

Is anyone else familiar with the issue Charon described? I'd be grateful for more detail on the two places the washer could fit.

Thanks in advance!

winterwalker   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/23/13 at 19:33:12

Ask the mech if he had the stator cover off.
You don't need to take if off for the head plug.
But if he did then that could be it.

WWW   IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #9 - 06/24/13 at 06:27:14

verslagen1 wrote on 06/23/13 at 19:33:12:
Ask the mech if he had the stator cover off.
You don't need to take if off for the head plug.
But if he did then that could be it.

Hey verslagen, what would the issue be if the stator cover was off? I'm pretty certain that it was as there are a number gouges and scratches on it that weren't there before the mechanic had it. Looks like they slipped more than once when taking it off/ putting it back on.

winterwalker   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/24/13 at 06:37:48

If the stator cover was off.....the washer usually falls off the starter idler gears.  The idler gear with the clutch gets a washer on ech side, and the idle gear that the starter motor meshes with does not get any washer.  People unknowingly put a washer on the rear that meshes with the starter - then the gear is pushed out too far and hits the case when it is installed and tightened....and it locks the gear up and won't let it turn.  To find out if this is the problem take the starter out, then stick your finger in and try to rotate the gear......you should be able to turn it in one directiion easily......and the other way the starter clutch will be engaged and you won't be able to turn it.  If the dealer screwed up the washer.....they should fix it at their cost. (But I am not sure I would want them working on it anymore if their diagnostic abiliities are so poor).

You and also confirm the starter works by hooking it up while it is not bolted to the engine and seeing if the starter works when you push the button.

To see if your decompression solenoid is working.......look at the lever behind the chrome cover at the top left side on the eninge.  See if this lever moves up when you hit the starter button.....and you should hear a loud click just before the starter engatges.

IMG_0806.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - 06/24/13 at 07:10:24

Dave, thank you so much for that explanation! That's extremely helpful! I wouldn't put it past the mechanic to have done exactly what you described - he's proven himself to be completely unreliable. It was an independent mechanic, not a dealer, and though he claimed to have worked on savages before, that could explain why he may have screwed up the installation. Next time I'll take it to a dealer. But in any case, I won't be trusting that mechanic with my bike again.

So just to confirm, if I use my finger to rotate the gear and it does not turn in either direction, it's likely that the washer was incorrectly placed on the gear that meshes with the starter - yes?

I've checked the starter off of the bike and it does work when I hook it up directly to a battery, so I think it checks out... but I'll see about hooking it to the lead off the bike and hitting the starter button to see if that engages the starter motor.

I do hear a loud click when I hit the starter button, but the sound comes from the starter solenoid under the seat rather than the decomp solenoid under the tank. I'll carry out the visual test you described and post the results afterward.

I don't have the proper tool (that Honda three sided job) to crack open the stator cover... is there something else I can use? Lastly, will I need to drain the engine oil if I'm removing the stator cover?

Thank you for the help! Y'all are life savers!

winterwalker   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/24/13 at 07:25:59

winterwalker wrote on 06/24/13 at 07:10:24:
Dave, thank you so much for that explanation! That's extremely helpful! I wouldn't put it past the mechanic to have done exactly what you described - he's proven himself to be completely unreliable. It was an independent mechanic, not a dealer, and though he claimed to have worked on savages before, that could explain why he may have screwed up the installation. Next time I'll take it to a dealer. But in any case, I won't be trusting that mechanic with my bike again.

So just to confirm, if I use my finger to rotate the gear and it does not turn in either direction, it's likely that the washer was incorrectly placed on the gear that meshes with the starter - yes?
If you cannot rotate the gear in either direction....yes something is RWONG!.

I've checked the starter off of the bike and it does work when I hook it up directly to a battery, so I think it checks out... but I'll see about hooking it to the lead off the bike and hitting the starter button to see if that engages the starter motor.

I do hear a loud click when I hit the starter button, but the sound comes from the starter solenoid under the seat rather than the decomp solenoid under the tank. I'll carry out the visual test you described and post the results afterward.There should be a click just an instant before the starter solenoid engages, and the sound should come from under the fuel tank.

I don't have the proper tool (that Honda three sided job) to crack open the stator cover... is there something else I can use? Lastly, will I need to drain the engine oil if I'm removing the stator cover?I made my tool from a piece of flat metal bar that was 1/8" thick I believe.  Another fellow used an old disc brake pad and used the metal tab that sticks out from the pad material.

Thank you for the help! Y'all are life savers!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - 06/24/13 at 07:52:15

Dave - you are awesome! Thank you for the prompt reply!

Last question for now (I may have more after I follow your suggestions) - will I need to drain the engine oil if I'm removing the stator cover?

winterwalker   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 06/24/13 at 08:00:00

Ya know, on reading through this thread, I wonder whether the "mechanic" removed the stator cover, replaced it with the washer incorrectly installed, then decided the starter was bad when it wouldn't crank the engine. Could be, the original starter is still good.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:32:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! My Savage refuses to start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.