Send Topic Print
broken bolts (Read 61 times)
Whistles83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

broken bolts
06/21/13 at 17:54:15

I have a snapped bolt right at the head of the exhaust port on my 88 Savage. It is pretty much flush where it snapped off. What can you suggest to get this sucker out of there? There is no bolt material to grip onto or weld onto to twist it out.

I have bought a 3/16 left hand drill bit and flat edge extractor, but am a little weary of trying it. I would hate to mess it up worse.

Thanks,
Whistles

Castleton, Ontario, Canada
'88 savage in rough shape,
rebuild, revamp.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: broken bolts
Reply #1 - 06/21/13 at 18:04:19

a. you can Dremel a slot in the stud, and try using a flat blade bit in an impact wrench to extract...
b. drill a small hole in the stud about an eighth to a quarter inch deep,.. and hammer a torx head bit into the hole,.. then twist it out, or use an impact wrench on it...
c. try the lefty bit, and extractor...
...ehh... what do I know... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: broken bolts
Reply #2 - 06/21/13 at 19:32:04

Oh Lord, well a few years back I tried an easy out and snapped that off on a heard bolt.   Finally, a year later, found a machine shop whose owner was willing to do the EDP(?) for $20.00 worth of beer for the new guy  he was training.
(Usually about a $150.00 job)>It meant taking the engine out, the and the top end off so the machine shop could do its thing.  Hope the left handed bit works well for you.  Good luck.  It's a major PIA.

EDM  -v1

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 18:34:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › broken bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.