Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Loosen pulley bolt?
Reply #15 - 06/24/13 at 22:07:15

It's righty tighty/lefty loosy for sure...
Put an impact wrench on there, and just let it hammer away.... (nothing is gonna' do any better)... it'll come loose in a minute...

I just had a CV axle nut on a car, with one of those hammer over nuts, that was so tight I couldn't get a chisel in there to pry it out... about 30 seconds with an electric impact wrench broke it loose... (had to buy a new nut...Lol)...

I just kept hitting it with 10 second bursts 'till it let go...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #16 - 06/25/13 at 03:44:19

verslagen1 wrote on 06/24/13 at 21:36:58:
Ain't there a bent washer holding that nut on there?
Yep, hope he found it.

Well, I didn't found it, but I did looked for it cause the manual says it's there.
The screw itself looks damaged on one side, I'll make a photo when I can. Cannot imagine that the 'damaging' is the bend washer...

Follow me on twitter @BikerChicken
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/25/13 at 14:03:19

youll have a time gettin a sochet all the way down if that washer is on there. one side is supposed to be bent out & folded up on one of the flats of the nut to lock it in place.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #18 - 06/26/13 at 01:04:23

I feel like such an idiot...
You guys are absolutely right, there is a bend washer there.
I thought it was a bolt like this:

Indeed there is one side folded (see photo) I tried to bend it back yesterday, but so far no luck with loosen the bolt.
Am trying again tonight or tomorrow... hope it works!

by the way the socket fits over the bolt, thats no problem.
Can anybody explain why the bend washer is capable of holding it all tight?

foto-bout.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 06/26/13 at 05:19:04

RobSchneider wrote on 06/26/13 at 01:04:23:

The inside of the washer is notched and locks onto the splines on the shaft, and that keeps the washer from turning.  The bend along the side of the nut then locks the nut in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #20 - 06/26/13 at 06:11:23

Dave wrote on 06/26/13 at 05:19:04:
RobSchneider wrote on 06/26/13 at 01:04:23:

The inside of the washer is notched and locks onto the splines on the shaft, and that keeps the washer from turning.  The bend along the side of the nut then locks the nut in place.

Ofcourse, I had seen the fiches-sheet and noticed the notches, thank you for this eyeopener Cheesy

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #21 - 06/28/13 at 13:41:35

YIIHHAAAAAAA!
Got it!

had heaten it up, and impact wrenched it a couple times the past days, and today finally result!

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #22 - 07/03/13 at 01:18:07

Ok, got the engine out of the frame, and the side cover + topcover off.
I want to line up the small grooves on the camshaft with the cilinder, but the chain is not moving, how can I arrange that before I take the chain off.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 07/03/13 at 04:06:27

RobSchneider wrote on 07/03/13 at 01:18:07:
I want to line up the small grooves on the camshaft with the cilinder, but the chain is not moving, how can I arrange that before I take the chain off.

You need to rotate the crank slightly to move the chain.  More importantly you want to place the crank so the piston is at top dead center.....then take note of where that small groove/notch is.  On mine the cam notch did not line up perfectly......so before you take your apart see how it lines up and put it back there when you put it together again.

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #24 - 07/03/13 at 06:11:12

Dave wrote on 07/03/13 at 04:06:27:
RobSchneider wrote on 07/03/13 at 01:18:07:

You need to rotate the crank slightly to move the chain.  More importantly you want to place the crank so the piston is at top dead center.....then take note of where that small groove/notch is.  On mine the cam notch did not line up perfectly......so before you take your apart see how it lines up and put it back there when you put it together again.

Thank you Dave, didn't quite understand that unfortunatly.
So how do I move the crank, which one is that? (sorry dutch is my normal language, so some things are not very clear to me in English)
Do you perhaps have a photo somewhere?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 07/03/13 at 08:34:26

Remove the spark plug, to make turning easy...
Then use a 17mm wrench on the nut under the timing inspection cover... left side engine case.... (crank counter-clockwise to reach TDC....
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278347767

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #26 - 07/03/13 at 11:06:28

Serowbot wrote on 07/03/13 at 08:34:26:
Remove the spark plug, to make turning easy...
Then use a 17mm wrench on the nut under the timing inspection cover... left side engine case.... (crank counter-clockwise to reach TDC....
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278347767

Huh? I already took off the topcover from the engine...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 07/03/13 at 11:17:54

I think maybe there is some confusion.

The crankshaft is the part of the engine that rotates and has an offset pin and bearing in the center porton that the rod and piston are connected to.

The head cover (top cover) bolts on top of the cylinder head, and it also has the rocker arms installed in it and it acts as the upper bearing surface for the camshaft.

The Cylinder head bolts on top of the cylinder and has the valves, intake and exhaust ports cast into it.  The cylinder head has the spark plug threaded into it.

If you remove the spark plug from the cylinder head, it is easier to turn the crankshaft with a 17mm socket on the left side of the crank.  If you have the clutch cover off, you can also use the right side of the crankshaft to rotate the crankshaft which will move the  cam chain and camshaft.

Do you have a workshop manual?

What are you up to?  We started at the belt pulley in this thread, and now the engine is out and the head cover is off!

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #28 - 07/03/13 at 12:16:44

Dave wrote on 07/03/13 at 11:17:54:
I think maybe there is some confusion.

The crankshaft is the part of the engine that rotates and has an offset pin and bearing in the center porton that the rod and piston are connected to.

The head cover (top cover) bolts on top of the cylinder head, and it also has the rocker arms installed in it and it acts as the upper bearing surface for the camshaft.

The Cylinder head bolts on top of the cylinder and has the valves, intake and exhaust ports cast into it.  The cylinder head has the spark plug threaded into it.

If you remove the spark plug from the cylinder head, it is easier to turn the crankshaft with a 17mm socket on the left side of the crank.  If you have the clutch cover off, you can also use the right side of the crankshaft to rotate the crankshaft which will move the  cam chain and camshaft.

Do you have a workshop manual?

What are you up to?  We started at the belt pulley in this thread, and now the engine is out and the head cover is off!

Thank you for the explanation, I do have a workshop manual, but it wasn't clear how to do it.

I'm taking the cilinderhead off to place helicoils in the threads underneath. The previous owner put too much tension on those threads and damaged them. As a result I had some big oil leakage when I started the bike. (I did the plug-cap sealant before, didn't help) So thats why I had to take of the belt pulley, since I have to take the engine out for the placement of the helicoils.

I'm going to read this again tomorrow, and trying to fully understand what I have to do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:38:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loosen pulley bolt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.