Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Universal Coil and Voltage Regulator ? (Read 100 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Universal Coil and Voltage Regulator ?
06/17/13 at 06:07:35

Hi all.

I am reading a novel loosely based on a real story - as experienced by the author in person - about a man riding his old "banger" (a Shovelhead Road King) from Milan to India, across Iran, Pakistan and quite a few hair-raising situaitons.

I noticed how he mentions he carried all sorts of spares, from gaskets to plugs&cables to brake pads for the disc brakes, but then the only thing that failed him was the voltage regulator...
Undecided
He eventually "McGyvered it" with a voltage regulator off an old 350cc Royal Enfield, but it too gave up quite soon...
...his bike being 12V and the RE Bullet of the time being 6V...
Lips Sealed
So here's my question:
"Will an ordinary, run of the mill ignition coil work on our Savage?
Anything from the coil salvaged off a broken down 125cc scooter to the "universal" coil made for English bikes? To an automobile coil?"

Generic 50cc moped coil...

Modern reproduction of 12V BritBike coil...

Salvage yard, when they're this clean it's love at first sight...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Universal Coil and Voltage Regulator ?
Reply #1 - 06/17/13 at 06:26:54

Any 12v coil made for electronic ignition should work in a bind.  If it is a true concern of yours to have one as a spare why not just get one for the LS650, I've seen them as low as $5 used on EBAY(usually closer to $15)  I know you are in Italy, but I'm sure you could find one from a European EBAY or equivalent for a reasonable cost.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 06/17/13 at 06:45:14

HI.

I have found "new NOS" coils for the DR600 and DR650, they go for about €40-50.

I have become more and more leery to buy from the US after I was knifed in the back by Customs who charged so much in Excise and VAT, the cost of an item I bought literally doubled !

(ouch...)  Shocked

Not to mention shipping costs...  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/17/13 at 07:15:07

You need to try and match the voltage and current rating of our coil or this will happen...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1293638302/0

This happens when someone leaves their key on all night.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 06/19/13 at 05:39:22

OUCH !

OK, I'll try to rephrase the question:

Electrical spares for the Savage are rare as hen's teeth here in Europe.

You can find electrical spares for any king of 500-800 dualsports/enduro, from the Yamaha XT to the Honda XL to the Suzuki DR...
...not to mention BMWs (expensive but available) and Ducati-powered Ducs and Cagivas and the odd Gilera.

But if my coil or my voltage regulator fails in... Poland... Portugal... Norway... Turkey, and all I have available is the local do-for-all village mechanic and a scrap yard...
- a coil made for electronic ignition will do... many cars have tiny coils built in the individual plug cable, would that do?
- a voltage regulator... given the puny alternator of the Savage, would "any" 12V regulator do ?

In other words... if I have to "McGyver it" somewhere in "Faraway-istan", what should I look for ?

C'mon, I intend sending a trip report next summer !!!  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/19/13 at 12:18:17

Universal Brit bike 12v coil. You can also get away with a Kohler small engine coil and voltage regulator.

Go to www.dotheton.com and search for "Kohler mod". It will likely be in a Honda thread... It might also be available through the SOHC forums.

Now, is our bike's coil a TRUE 12v coil, or is it internally regulated down to 5.5-6V, as it does make a huge difference... The Bosch VW coil is an internally ballasted unit that drops its input to 6v... or it is a straight (true) 12v coil, depends on the era of donor engine...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 06/20/13 at 02:46:09

Thanks WD.

Yes, I know all about ballasted coils, my MGB has a 12V (-earth) electrical system and a 6V coil with resistor and a starting bypass.

I assume the Savage to be a 12V coil, don't see why they should complicate themselves with a ballasted coil...

I'll lookup the website you suggested.

By the way, do you know why it is that in the old days topping 100mph was called "doing the ton" ?

Because in the 1930's bikes powerful enough to reach such speeds had a speedo needle that would, literally, go full circle.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:37:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Universal Coil and Voltage Regulator ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.