Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electrical Short in Lead Wire from Battery (Read 319 times)
EeeSkwa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical Short in Lead Wire from Battery
06/09/13 at 13:54:56

my 87 savage will not start.  Per the attached picture smoke was coming up from where the lead wire was bolted down.  I pulled the tank and changed the spark plug just be sure, and after putting everything back together and re-taping up the lead wire in a couple of places the bike still clicks but won't turn.  The wire has melted a little bit of the section plastic section where it is bolted down (same spot little whisps of smoke, from melting plastic i assume, were coming out off at first, but now the smoke is gone).  Maybe it is shorting out there still?????  The wire gets reallllly hot still after attempting to start it a few times, so I'm guessing there is a short there still and that is the culprit of my non-starting bike still.

Checked the Fuses and those are good, and battery is fully charged and ready to go.  Andy advice here?  I can probably get a new lead wire, and see if that fixes it, but I am guessing that melted spot behind the bolt is still the culprit.  

Thanks for everyone's help here!  Roll Eyes

pic.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Electrical Short in Lead Wire from Battery
Reply #1 - 06/09/13 at 14:25:09

Replace the cable, once you let all the smoke out of them they quit working...  Wink

And that lead is supposed to ground out on the engine block, not the bike frame. Back behind the oil level check window the inner case narrows. End goes on one of those case bolts. Your starter isn't going to be properly grounded relying on the frame to be the entire bike's ground lug.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
EeeSkwa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/09/13 at 14:33:31

Thanks!  I just ordered one and will report back after I install it!  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/09/13 at 15:19:42

And now you know why we don't go around cracking any funnies at the newbies in RSD -- they tend to take you seriously and they go order new battery to engine block ground cables .....   Shocked Shocked

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/09/13 at 15:34:21

Grin

I learned the hard way, if the smoke comes out the wire is junk... Of course, I had to learn it on fabric covered wires. Where if one wire lets the smoke out, they all tend to. Who knew wiring insulation was flammable?

I do wonder why the cable was run to the frame instead of the engine. No reason to ever reroute it unless the battery box was off for some kind of work before he got the bike... and even then, it should have gone back on the engine.

I'll have to see where the cable routes inside the battery box. I moved the ignition solenoid to the toolbox, so my wiring is rather, um, "different" than stone stock would be. Wonder how much other crap I can cram in there since I have a different gas tank, no switch boxes, no decomp relay...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #5 - 06/10/13 at 01:22:56

you are evil guys...  Grin but beginners should.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 06/10/13 at 08:10:28

In an attempt to still help out the newbie, here is where the ground cable is supposed to be attached to the engine...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 06/10/13 at 10:20:07

Is it just me, or is the positive post grounded to the frame? Huh  I suppose someone could have installed the wrong battery with reverse poles? Undecided

IP Logged
EeeSkwa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/10/13 at 16:41:35

SALB wrote on 06/10/13 at 10:20:07:
Is it just me, or is the positive post grounded to the frame? Huh  I suppose someone could have installed the wrong battery with reverse poles? Undecided

Nope, that is the negative post on the battery and the negative lead.

$10 for a new ground wire...nbd, but thanks for the hazing all you senior members  Cheesy

I guess a little ignorance got me more face time to answer this issue, so can't complain!  thanks for all your responses Grin

IP Logged
EeeSkwa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/10/13 at 16:47:41

EJID wrote on 06/10/13 at 08:10:28:
In an attempt to still help out the newbie, here is where the ground cable is supposed to be attached to the engine...

http://p1.bikepics.com/2012/03/23/bikepics-2370699-full.jpg

So the negative lead is on the other side of your picture here...you would have to wrap the ground wire around the back or underneath the battery box to get to that post by the clutch cable?

IP Logged
EeeSkwa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/10/13 at 21:07:23

I just grounded the negative lead to another solid area of the engine block  and tried to start it and the wire smoked in the same spot.... it is fried.  waiting on the new one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/10/13 at 22:00:05

Have you ever grabbed a resister in a circuit? They get Hot. When current flows through resistance it makes heat. Dirty connections are resistive.
If thats not why its hot, then IDK what else could do it,,surely its not a polarity issue.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/10/13 at 22:05:42

If I remember right, the cable runs inside the box and drops out on the right hand side. But, my bike is nowhere near stock, hasn't been for years. I haven't even opened the battery box in 2 years, at least.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
hotrodbobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/11/13 at 08:27:16

COME ON GUYS HELP THIS GUY OUT.
It seems as you have a problem with your starter or starter solenoid.
If the cable gets hot then too much current is passing through it caused by something at the other end, if that bolt/connection is getting hot, clean it, thats all it needs, no need to buy a new cable unless it melts, look at the red cable from the battery and see where it goes, that will be where the problem is. The black cable is an earth and unless there is a dirty connection it should be ok.
The only thing that can draw a LOT of current is the starter, everything else is via a fuse and will blow if over 20A straight away

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/11/13 at 08:29:02

Im doin all I can,, & since you said a lot of what I said,, Im guessin
a I did as much as you did
b you agree with my answer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:33:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Short in Lead Wire from Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.