Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Savage-First Problem (Read 163 times)
RansickFF804
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First Savage-First Problem
07/08/13 at 16:11:55

So I pick up my first Savage from my cousin a few weeks ago who had it as his first bike and has since moved on to bigger and better things. It has been garage kept, unridden for the past two years, however, before it was parked it was his everyday rider.

Being somewhat mechanically inclined I decide to tackle the few things I know need to be done that I also know how to do. It gets an oil change, fresh battery, new spark plug, fresh gas, carb cleaned & looked over, tires aired up and a bath.

After about 15-20 minutes of attempting to start, she fires and idles like a dream, then I hit a snag. When I attempt to increase the RPMs all I get is backfiring, inconsistent engine rev and a lot of bogging down that can, and has lead to stalling out. I consult SuzukiSavage.com to see if maybe there is some information there I can use.

At that point I take the carb off, clean it up, spray it off, check everything from the diaphragm to the needle and throw it back on. I run the test I found on here to see if the petcock is bad and only come out of that with positive news. So after running it through everything I can come up with I'm still having issues. It does run and I have ridden it however it chugs the entire time, barely gets up enough speed to get out of first and is prone to backfiring.

I was hoping since it is a 2000 with only 9,300 miles on it that all the routine things would have it back up and running in no time. Obviously I should know by now that nothing is as easy as it should be. So now I throw it out there to any and everyone who may have something else I could try. My next alternative is to take the bike to the shop to have someone more qualified look it over, as reluctant as I am to do so. Like I stated earlier, I do know a little about what I'm doing but by no means do I consider myself anything more than a novice. I'd be more than willing to take more stuff apart & put it back together with any idea of what would need to be investigated at this point.

I'd like to thank anyone in advance if you have made it this far through my rambling and certainly thank you to anyone who may have an idea as to which direction I should be heading.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: First Savage-First Problem
Reply #1 - 07/08/13 at 16:46:06

I say it's a fuel issue.  Tried running it with the petcock set to prime?  Do you have good fuel flow set to prime? There is also a filter screen above the float needle in the carb.  Have to remove the float seat.  It might be partially clogged letting in enough fuel to idle but not to run.

Mine did this same thing when I got it and it was the needle in the slide had been installed with the spring above instead of below the circlip.
If you removed the needle during cleaning, you might wanna check that.

There are lots of great minds out here that will be glad to help.  Sounds like you've covered the basics already.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/08/13 at 17:04:22

how does it act if ya pull the choke button out ?

ohh,, try hard to keep it running above 1,000 rpm. low oil pressure type pump,cam rides in the head, not on bearings

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #3 - 07/09/13 at 02:02:45

Sounds like the pilot jet and or circuit has some crud in it. Did you pull the pilot jet out and clean it and run some good carb cleaner through the pilot circuit and chase it with compressed air? If you can't get it past idle it's usually the pilot.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 07/09/13 at 06:46:15

Well you have come to the right place.

from your description:

petcock... run on prime
carb.. as stated by others
air filter
verify that the exhaust manifold is tight
verify that that exhaust is free flowing

but meh.. sounds like carb

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/09/13 at 08:25:14

Eliminate the easy first. Get it idling, spray the intake manifold with wd40 or similar... engine pick up speed? Cracked intake, loose clamp around the carburetor body to intake manifold, loose intake at the engine end. Doesn't take much sometimes, if the machine was kept in a warm/dry environment, the intake can shrink up a bit and leak.

Common on metrics, brand/model/age does not matter.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 08/12/13 at 20:15:15

87 savage wrote on 07/09/13 at 02:02:45:
Sounds like the pilot jet and or circuit has some crud in it. Did you pull the pilot jet out and clean it and run some good carb cleaner through the pilot circuit and chase it with compressed air? If you can't get it past idle it's usually the pilot.

If the pilot jet is clogged and the enrichener valve is closed (i.e. black knob pushed fully to starboard) and the throttle is closed and the idle speed screw on the carb is set correctly.......it won't idle....at all!

DAMHIK!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Savage-First Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.