Send Topic Print
charging system issues (Read 83 times)
oldjeepguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

charging system issues
07/09/13 at 09:33:04

I bought a well neglected 1986 Savage - it's all corroded, forks pitted & leaky, bad oil leak from the head...you name it.
Anyway, I got it running, and it runs well.  Yesterday, it started running rough and then stopped completely.  Making a long story short, it was a poor connection where the fuse holder plugs into the wiring harness.
In trying to sort out the electrical system, I found the rectifier was very hot to the touch.  The outside temp was 80 deg., so that would account for part of the heat.  The rectifier used to be just a little warm after a 45 minute ride. Does anybody know a danger point in the temperature rise in the rectifier?  I'm trying to understand symptoms of impending disasters.  I have one of those Harbor Freight laser thermometers.  I didn't use it to check the temp, but I will if I can discover the normal operating temp of the rectifier.  Someone please help!

Things I've done so far:
Rebuilt forks
Sealed leaky plug in the head
Added little bullet LED turn signals
Pulled a big dent out of the gas tank & rattle can painted it
Made a 1/4 " thick brass spacer for the gas tank valve
Replaced throttle with a cheap aftermarket one
Replaced the right handlebar switch with a used Volusia part
Cleaned every electrical connection & greased with silicone grease

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: charging system issues
Reply #1 - 07/09/13 at 10:10:13

check the connectors, make sure they are clean and tight.

a hot regulator may indicate overcharging the battery.

check you battery.

WWW   IP Logged
oldjeepguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/09/13 at 11:49:47

Yes, connectors are clean and tight.  I checked them.  The battery charge is normal.  I monitor the battery.  My concern is the temperature of the rectifier.  What is the reason for the temperature rise?  How much is too much?
Will a poor connection cause the temp to rise?  I'm concerned because I know the high temp is a symptom of something, but I don't know what.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/09/13 at 12:20:09

The savage system operates by total loss of the excess current generated by the alternator   It is normal for rectifier to get very warm in use if the battery is fully charged.  There's nowhere else for the power to go.  If the battery doesn't need it is wasted away as heat.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldjeepguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/09/13 at 18:46:10

Sounds reasonable.  Thanks.  I wonder if it would be wise to put in some kind of thermal breaker to open the circuit instead of just generating waste heat?  We would have a little more power and use a little less gas.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/12/13 at 20:23:33

oldjeepguy wrote on 07/09/13 at 18:46:10:
Sounds reasonable.  Thanks.  I wonder if it would be wise to put in some kind of thermal breaker to open the circuit instead of just generating waste heat?  We would have a little more power and use a little less gas.

Old,

Sounds like an interesting idea.....please let us know if you come up with anything!

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › charging system issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.