paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Advice
Reply #15 - 06/07/13 at 15:02:53

Steve H wrote on 06/07/13 at 14:55:49:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Splash.  If she doesn't care enough to learn how to properly ride and take care of the bike, the repairs may be an exercise in futility.  

Plus, if she wrecks and can somewhow vaguely tie it to something you touched working on it, she could possibly sue you.  I hate to say it, but these days, you never know.  You're in the best position to know if she'd be one for something like that or not.

The great thing about living in NZ you can't Sue at the drop of a hat.Not sure if Canada is the same? but  being part of the commonwealth they prob are.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 06/07/13 at 16:51:36

Perhaps suggest that she gets proper instruction on riding

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/07/13 at 17:03:19

If I liked her & I thot she wasnt a good rider I wouldnt hand her a bike.
If she keeps crashing & you keep fixing youre helping her have that next crash. Dont suggest she take the course, tell her you wont fix it till she does.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #18 - 06/07/13 at 17:19:29

When I bought my Savage with 7200 miles on it the head gasket was leaking too. I know this shouldn't happen at such low mileage but it seems to be a common problem with these Savages...maybe poor OEM head gaskets? Aside from the obvious neglect this poor Savage has suffered I wonder why she has dropped the bike twice in such a short time. I would not assume it is her fault....check for suspension/frame issues that might contribute to poor handling. This person does not sound like she has a lot of riding experience. What some of us would consider a moderate handling issue like a loose swingarm, steering head bearings etc. would be a major problem to someone with less riding experience. How is it running since the oil change? Quieter, cooler?

Help her get the bike in good working order...teach her some of the finer points of riding and handling a motorcycle and what needs to be serviced and when and then send us some pics of BOTH  Grin

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 06/08/13 at 03:01:32

If your head gasket really was leaking youre NUmber One..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #20 - 06/08/13 at 05:37:53

Oh you guys haha.

I will be trying to teach her some riding skills. What little I have. I am as new to this as she is. She got her bike and license at the same time.

She likes to ride the bike loud and hard. Thank goodness she doesn't do the highway at least.

I looked for the head leak and there was nothing new. I think the oil sludge sealed it in. As you can tell in the pic the right foot peg is busted up and she only has one mirror now.

As for being sued, I only did an oil change for her and told her about other maintenance items such as the air filter, spark plug and checking her spokes every so often.

Oh and for the curious still, she looks like Michonne from the walking dead. Cute but I have my ginger lady. =P

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/08/13 at 08:55:07

she looks like Michonne from the walking dead. Cute

I wont watch anything that has Zomby in it, or walking dead & following a reference to such with "cute" is a bit hard for me to grasp..

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #22 - 06/08/13 at 10:16:42

Did you find out why/how she dropped the bike twice?  Is she wearing something approaching proper footwear? Could be simple as a flat bottomed sneak slipping when she puts her foot down.

Try to teach her what you can. If she takes the time and effort to learn, that's great.  The MSF course would be great if she'll take it.  It's always nice to have someone to ride with, but not if they are a danger to themself or others.

+1 on the chassis/frame problems.  That could really be a bear for someone without much experience.  And, anything that moves that shouldn't or in a way it shouldn't could be a big problem for a rider.

Just a side thought here:  I saw some idiot on a Harley the other day.  Shorts, T-shirt, flip-flops, no helmet going down the road with cruise on riding with no hands, cigarette in one hand and cell held to his ear in the other.  Glad I was in a parking lot and nowhere near him.

There's only so much you can do to help someone.  Some people have to learn some lessons the hard way.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 06/09/13 at 04:19:44

Steve H wrote on 06/08/13 at 10:16:42:
I saw some idiot on a Harley the other day.  Shorts, T-shirt, flip-flops, no helmet going down the road with cruise on riding with no hands, cigarette in one hand and cell held to his ear in the other.  Glad I was in a parking lot and nowhere near him.

They live among us............... Shocked    Glad I was nowhere near him too!!!!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:42:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.