Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring after rejet (Read 300 times)
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Backfiring after rejet
05/31/13 at 19:57:34

I recently put the blue collar bobbers drag pipe on my savage and rejetted to suit. I used a 55 pilot and 155 main as I'm pretty much sea level and am wanting to put a cone filter on soon. I shaved spacer to about 2/3 to 3/4 (I think haha). I still pop like crazy on decel. Header clamp seems tight and muffler is sealed with silicone. I didn't notice a leak before I wrapped pipe and muffler. I have started getting a pop on shut off which I didn't have before and also loud backfires every now and again. Would some small washers to decrease spacer size even more eliminate the problem? also idle scre is around 1 3/4 turns out Cheers

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Backfiring after rejet
Reply #1 - 06/01/13 at 04:16:18

Did you try turning the pilot screw out more than 1 3/4 turn ?
If so, did the carb respond by increasing or decreasing rpm as you turned it ?
How does the spark plug look ?

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 16:52:52

I have the pilot screw at 2 screws out now which seemed to increase the RPM a little but to be honest it's hard for me to tell by ear when i go further, is the change in RPM meant to be very significant?

Haven't checked plug yet but will check today.

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 17:23:37

2 1/2 turns out and poppings pretty much gone.

Sorry for wasting your time, I didn't think I would need to turn so far out with a 55 pilot.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 20:55:03

When I set mine I went for a ride with a small screwdriver in the shirt pocket. Small adjustments at lites until I had it juuuuust rite..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 22:02:50

I'm still getting pops and occasional bangs, mainly slowing down in 2 nod gear I think. I also noticed mild pops on shifting, would this likely be a small exhaust leak? The bangs freak me out on unsealed roads as it moves the bike.

No lights where I live, smooth ridin'. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/02/13 at 22:19:31

Snug the header studs up a little, be ever so gentle,, do it while its cold..

A candle flame can show a leak,,, or so I hear,,
I wonder if a lite powder would..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/03/13 at 06:23:22

Popping, backfiring, pooooofs on shutdown is all normal for these bikes.
You can hack and mutilate your carb till it is beyond repair, (many have) and you will still end up w/ some of it, if not all.

All of it can be controlled once you get the hang of it. If I see a cop, or horses, you won't hear a pop outta mine !
If you cannot handle any popping backfiring, etc etc. you have the wrong bike,......IMO.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/03/13 at 06:59:25

Routy:  I am glad you posted your backfire comments.....I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this wayl  The last few weeks I have been jetting my new Mikuni VM36 using an oxygen sensor.  I have been changing jets to get a mix just slightly richer than the economy mixture of 14.7:1......and slightly leaner than the 12.2 ratio that creates maximum power.  I believe I have it dialed in really well right now....and my jetting has been focues on making the engine run smooth and efficiently.

When using the O2 sensor what I discovered is that when you cut the throttle off completely while slowing down or shiftin gears - the engine goes very lean.  The fuel flow has basically stopped because the needle has dropped down into the needle jet and closed off the flow from the needle jet and main jet.  The only fuel flow that is available is coming from the pilot jet...and that is not enough to provide a burnable mixture.  The TEV valve is supposed to provide additional fuel on the CV carb to correct this lean condition.

I am not ever getting loud rifle shot backfires when I ride - but if I completely close the throttle while shifting or slowing down I do get a lot of pop, pop, pop, pop.  But........if I don't close the throttle completely while shifting gears or slowing down.......the engine does not backfire or crack or pop.  The throttle doesn't have to be opened much, and it is not affecting the rate at which I slow down as it is not enough throttle to cause the engine to accelerate....it is just open enough to provide some extra fuel so the mixture will burn inside the cylinder and not in the exhaust pipe.  

I think that changing jetting to stop the engine from doing the rifle shot backfires might be OK....but jetting to eliminate all rumbles, pops and gurgling from the exhaust is not productive. If you are richening up the pilot circuit in order to stop all backfiring - your engine is going to be running too rich most of the time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/03/13 at 15:09:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/02/13 at 22:19:31:
A candle flame can show a leak,,, or so I hear

I've always used a long BBQ lighter, easily relit if it goes out compared to a candle and much more convenient then a regular lighter.  If you don't have one they usually have them at the dollar store  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 02:06:11

Cheers for that guys, I'll try playing with the throttle next ride and ill grab a bbq lighter today. The pops don't bother me too much, it's mainly the occasional bangs that I want to get rid of.

« Last Edit: 06/04/13 at 14:46:21 by Jolly Executioner »  
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 06/04/13 at 09:51:59

I gotta try that BBQ lighter thing, I got some gunk puddling on one side of my header clamp.

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #12 - 06/05/13 at 19:59:04

Plugs a matte black sooty colour, would this be the fuel mixture screw too rich?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/06/13 at 03:54:52

Jolly Executioner wrote on 06/05/13 at 19:59:04:
Plugs a matte black sooty colour, would this be the fuel mixture screw too rich?

That depends.  If you just started the bike and it was not warmed up when you checked your plug....that is not a proper time to take a plug reading.  If you had the bike out and rode long enough to get it fully warmed up, then let it idle a little bit before shutting it off....that plug reading would be an indication of the idle mixture....however I have never heard of people taking plug reading to adjust the idle mixture.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #14 - 06/08/13 at 03:07:35

Well I found a small leak inbetween the muffler and header which I believed I fixed.
Can't find any other leaks, Still banging.
I've ordered a 57.5 pilot jet, just to see.

I put in a new sparkplug which quickly became black and sooty which I thought indicated that I'm too rich, but im still backfiring?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:39:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring after rejet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.