YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oil levels...
Reply #15 - 06/06/13 at 13:14:07

Doug wrote on 06/06/13 at 12:50:05:
I appreciate the advice guys. I am having difficulties starting her up to check if that's the cause. I have to take her to a mechanic so I can drain the oil, because I can't get the darn plug unbolted. When I do that I'll see what's up with the starting problem. I know it's not the battery. I just got done fully charging it today and tested it, but she still won't start. Just a simple click is all I get. I think I need to clean the carb. -couldn't hurt- ...and then I guess check the starter solenoid.

OK.....There is a long line of guys behind me waiting to ask these questions....but I got here first!

How did you test your battery?
What is the voltage after the charging?
What is the terminal voltage across the battery terminals when you push the start button and hear the click?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/06/13 at 13:26:44

Why cant you get the plug out? Put the wrench on with the wrench pointed to the front & push down, Youre sure youre on the right bolt head?
Goin the right way? Right size wrench?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #17 - 06/06/13 at 15:51:48

Are these bikes known to burn oil? How often and how much do you find yourselves adding between changes? Is there a mileage when they start to generally consume more oil?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/06/13 at 16:51:21

You get one on the slab & run it 70 & its gonna suck some oil.
Mine doesnt use oil hardly at all just riding around town for the first 1,500 or so miles on an oil change. After that, it starts using a bit. Once I see oil consumption high enough to be a hassle to keep up with or enough to make it scary to go on the road & run hard, I change it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #19 - 06/06/13 at 18:28:33

Thanks for the info Justin. What is the year and mileage of your bike? I'm riding an 06 that started with 2270 miles a month ago. I've got just over 4100 on it now. It seems to just now starting to use a bit of oil...I was surprised I guess since I've been checking, to see that I was down a bit on oil two days ago...nearly to bottom of window when bike is upright and engine warmed up first as recommended. The oil was new upon purchase.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 06/06/13 at 20:58:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/13 at 05:07:25:
According to the handbook you should run the engine for a few minutes and then stop it for a few minutes before checking the level.

& To Me, that makes exactly NO sense..

I agree, and here's why:

Two cases.

The first case is that you go out to the bike, that's been sitting outside all night, to check the oil level.  You do what the book says and start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.  You interpret "a few" to mean two.  You shut it down and wait the prescribed three minutes.  You then take your measurement.  Did I mention that the outside air temperature was -10 deg F when you did your check?

Two minutes of idling in this case will change to oil from having a consistency of asphalt to that of molasses.  Your check will seem to indicate that the engine oil is low, everything else being equal.

For the second case, the factors remain the same, except that the bike has been sitting in the hot sun all day.  The outside air temperature is 120 deg F.

For this case, you will most likely get an accurate oil level reading.

What do I do?  Well, if I want to check the oil level, I just check it before the first startup of the day.

Works for me!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/06/13 at 21:09:23

Rembrandt wrote on 06/06/13 at 18:28:33:
Thanks for the info Justin. What is the year and mileage of your bike? I'm riding an 06 that started with 2270 miles a month ago. I've got just over 4100 on it now. It seems to just now starting to use a bit of oil...I was surprised I guess since I've been checking, to see that I was down a bit on oil two days ago...nearly to bottom of window when bike is upright and engine warmed up first as recommended. The oil was new upon purchase.

Its an 05. 20,000 miles now.,
Were I you, Id change oil & watch it. Keep up with how much time you ride in 5th & close to wide open & see if oil use doesnt go up. Then watch when it gets around 2,000 miles on the oil & see if oil use doesnt go up when youre just gettin around town. For me, "Gettin around town" includes some nice roads that let me see 70 for short bursts. Not even a minute/ burst,

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 06/07/13 at 05:10:46

I check the oil at the end of a ride.  
-- Pull into the garage.
-- Get off the idling bike.
-- Go around to the right side.
-- Get on my knees and bend down to peer at the window.
-- Pull the bike up to vertical, balancing it there to see the actual level while running.  

I keep the oil level so it fills about a third of the window.

I have tidied up this procedure somewhat, so I don't actually have to get the knees of my pants dirty.  
-- A few years ago, my current wife broke a cheap mirror, which I took to the workshop.  
-- I smoothed out various pieces and gorilla-glued stiff copper wire to a few of them to use as inspection mirrors.  
-- Now I keep one of those at the RYCA-bike parking spot so all I have to do is stay on the idling, vertical, bike, and use the mirror to see the oil-level window.

« Last Edit: 06/07/13 at 17:41:30 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 06/07/13 at 07:03:10

You check oil while engine is running ?
Amazing ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 06/07/13 at 07:44:36

I know it aint so, but dang if he didnt pretty much say he does..

GB,, wassamattachew?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 06/07/13 at 17:36:00

Routy wrote on 06/07/13 at 07:03:10:
You check oil while engine is running ?
Amazing ! Shocked

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/13 at 07:44:36:
I know it aint so, but dang if he didnt pretty much say he does..

GB,, wassamattachew?

Yup.

See reply #16 here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283793450/15#15

The big advantage here is that the oil is being checked real time, at real temps, with all the various expansions of metal and oil in effect.
-- Checking the oil when cold, or when the bike is on a sidestand, is using a test that checks on situations that should turn into an acceptable level when the motor warms up.  
   --- That kind of thing is a prediction of sorts.
   --- You HOPE the oil, motor, and clearances behave properly as it all warms up.
-- Checking the oil while the motor and all its oil is fully warmed up checks on what is actually happening,.. a much more relevant piece of info.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 17:35:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil levels...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.