Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Whats your favorite firearm? (Read 277 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: Whats your favorite firearm?
Reply #30 - 06/04/13 at 14:33:18

Paraquat wrote on 06/02/13 at 08:09:44:
For the most part, yes.
My father is the actual FFL but I'm an "employee" of his "business". We also share the same name and he is "getting too old" for it so he wants to try to transfer it to me rather than me having to jump through all the hoops. I can still buy and receive, however.

Never seen a Bond.
It would be nice if you could keep your fathers gunshop going.

--Steve

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 06/04/13 at 19:06:12

Decline and fall [edit]

By the 1960s the rising cost of skilled labor was making it increasingly unprofitable to produce Winchester's classic designs, as they required considerable hand-work to finish. In particular, Winchester's flagship Model 12 pump shotgun and Model 70 bolt-action rifle with their machined forgings could no longer compete in price with Remington's cast-and-stamped 870 and 700. Accordingly S. K. Janson formed a new Winchester design group to advance the use of "modern" engineering design methods and manufacturing principles in gun design. The result was a new line of guns which replaced most of the older products in 1963–1964. The immediate reaction of the shooting press and public was overwhelmingly negative: the popular verdict was that Winchester had sacrificed quality to the "cheapness experts,"[3] and Winchester was no longer considered to be a prestige brand, causing a marked loss of market share. To this day, gun collectors consider "post-64" Winchesters to be both less desirable and less valuable than their predecessors.

In the early 70's the Olin Winchester-Western Division tried to diversify with at least two unsuccessful attempts. The first was an experimental indoor shooting range called Wingo in San Diego, California. This short lived attempt had a strong tie to firearms and ammunition with exclusive guns, ammo and target launching machines being produced. The flaw was to see it quickly profitable in a western city with too many competing outdoor activities. The second venture was trying to compete with Coleman Company in the camping and sporting goods market. "Trailblazer by Winchester" products included propane powered stoves and lanterns. They also produced tents and sleeping bags. These products struggled to compete with similar offerings from an established company founded in 1900.

Labor costs continued to rise through the 1960s and '70s, and a prolonged and bitter strike in 1979–1980 ultimately convinced Olin that firearms could no longer be produced profitably in New Haven. In December 1980 the New Haven plant was sold to its employees, incorporated as the U.S. Repeating Arms Company, and granted a license to make Winchester arms. Olin retained the Winchester ammunition business. U.S. Repeating Arms itself went bankrupt in 1989. After bankruptcy it was acquired by a French holding company, then sold to Belgian armsmakers Herstal Group, which also owns gun makers Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FN) and Browning Arms Company.

On January 16, 2006 U.S. Repeating Arms announced it was closing its New Haven plant where Winchester rifles and shotguns had been produced for 140 years.[4] Along with the closing of the plant, production of the Model 94 rifle (the descendant of the original Winchester rifle), Model 70 rifle and Model 1300 shotgun were discontinued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Repeating_Arms_Company

Connecticut has (had. Will have had...) a lot of firearms manufacturers. I think the Marlin building is still vacant.

I don't know how to describe my tastes... lever actions are cool. I've shot a few but except my Red Ryder I don't own any.

--Steve

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #32 - 06/06/13 at 07:39:31

Pine wrote on 05/30/13 at 20:52:20:
For all my saber rattling about having guns... I dont have anything that the government would take any great notice over...

4 Dan Wesson .357  these have not been made since the 90's.. and never were a big seller.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GIGVCyKZhMY/TQwEFEWttcI/AAAAAAAAAqo/oXm2xM...
This is my favorite shot of two of them. The barrels and grips are custom. The grip was made to my order and is one of a kind.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QJYNtKBRRIY/TOsVOrrolsI/AAAAAAAAAoE/Ce7QZc...
This was my grandfathers 12g side-by-side Parker. I dont shoot it as it originally used black powder shot shells and they ate the inside of the barrel away. It would be sad but poetic if a bad guy stole it and tried to shoot it with a 3" mag load.... the gun would probably blow up.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z-qTQqpx4os/TOsVZ2jNd2I/AAAAAAAAAog/fJfeSe...
My dads old model 53 bolt action ( single shot) .22. I refinsihed it myself in 1981 at the ripe old age of 17. Solid Walnut.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5XE_Pe3rZY0/TOsU-idWgjI/AAAAAAAAAn0/cOudMG...
My first gun and rifle. A survival .22 single shot. this gun has not been shot since about  1970.

Midnight I'm with you on the Ruger 10/22. Very accurate,plenty of ways to dress them up,ammo is (was) cheap and easy to get and carry,and makes a good gun for food and protection.

The next choice is a good 20ga pump shotgun. All the same reasons as the 10/22 except for the weight of the ammo of course.

For handguns, any version of the  Ruger 22 semi-auto MarkI/II/III with the bull barrel does a fine job.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #33 - 06/06/13 at 13:51:46

Ruger is hard to beat for price and quality, also made in USA!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #34 - 06/11/13 at 17:00:50

For a .22 I like my 1984 Marlin model 60 with the 18 shot tube magazine. Picked it up as a attic find for $75.00 with a empty case stovepiped in the breach. Looked like the rifle was fired till it jambed up and then was put away. After a good cleaning and a Tasco 3X9 scope the .22 shoots like a charm at 50 yds.
 For center fires it is a toss up between my Remington BDL 700 in 30-06 and an Arisaka 7.7 Jap. The 7.7 Jap is just a lot of fun to shoot and I'm reloading for both calibers. I'm working on a 100 grain plinker for the Arisaka using cast bullets and a reduced load with resized 30-06 brass. If the plinker load works out I'll be able to shoot the 7.7 for less than a .22 at the current ammo prices.
 Self defense is a little Ruger .380 ACP which I have just started to reload for also. Using cast bullets for target loads in the .380 at the range just to stay in shape. Hand gun ammo prices have gotten rediculous over the last six months with a box of 50 going for over $27.00. I'll keep the factory loads for when I carry.
 Also have a Hawkens flintlock in .50 caliber which is great for smoking out the range.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #35 - 06/17/13 at 07:55:07

M1911A1 .45 ACP
Mossberg 500 12 Ga.
Marlin lever action .44 MAG

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 06/17/13 at 09:10:04

Who makes your 1911?
I'm looking at a Kimber either Custom Carry II or the Target II.
I know the name, I've handled them before. Pretty sure on it.
But one of my friends who works for S&W is trying to push their 1911 on me. Not sure... Not that I have anything against S&W just not familiar with them.

--Steve

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #37 - 06/17/13 at 12:33:37

Ed L. wrote on 06/11/13 at 17:00:50:
For a .22 I like my 1984 Marlin model 60 with the 18 shot tube magazine. Picked it up as a attic find for $75.00 with a empty case stovepiped in the breach. Looked like the rifle was fired till it jambed up and then was put away. After a good cleaning and a Tasco 3X9 scope the .22 shoots like a charm at 50 yds.
 For center fires it is a toss up between my Remington BDL 700 in 30-06 and an Arisaka 7.7 Jap. The 7.7 Jap is just a lot of fun to shoot and I'm reloading for both calibers. I'm working on a 100 grain plinker for the Arisaka using cast bullets and a reduced load with resized 30-06 brass. If the plinker load works out I'll be able to shoot the 7.7 for less than a .22 at the current ammo prices.
 Self defense is a little Ruger .380 ACP which I have just started to reload for also. Using cast bullets for target loads in the .380 at the range just to stay in shape. Hand gun ammo prices have gotten rediculous over the last six months with a box of 50 going for over $27.00. I'll keep the factory loads for when I carry.
 Also have a Hawkens flintlock in .50 caliber which is great for smoking out the range.

Ed I bought a model 60 but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. A lot of people say it is as good or better than the 10/22. Cant half see, I'm gonna put a good scope on it and find out. My favorite scope for 22's is a Nikon Prostaff 22 LR rifle scope. Its pricey but for someone like me who cant see it's worth the price.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #38 - 06/17/13 at 12:37:18

I've got 4 Black Guns now. Never had any use for one until the government told me I didnt need or couldn't have one. I knew then it was time to stock up.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #39 - 06/17/13 at 16:23:40

I traded a gun for a Winchester 94 the other day. The guy had chaps on the stock the whole time he owned it. I showed it to my son in law yesterday and he thought it was a brand new gun. It was made in 1985.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #40 - 06/17/13 at 21:39:12

Anybody seen any 22's on the shelf where you live?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #41 - 06/18/13 at 16:23:04

Shorts are starting to trickle back in around here. Longs and long rifle are still pretty much missing in action. And all we're getting so far is those crappy Remington Thunderbolt (green and yellow box) that run close to 40% duds per box. I'd even settle for CCI right now, and I rank it barely half a notch better than the cheap Remington garbage.

As far as quality .22 rounds are concerned, I need more European made match grade .22 LONG. My Stevens rolling block won't properly chamber long rifles. It's okay with shorts, but they've gotten expensive (10 cents a shot for 1280fps CCI)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #42 - 06/19/13 at 11:13:21

I shoot shorts in my Henry. I have several 22's so I decided to zero the Henry in with shorts. Cant even find them around here.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #43 - 06/19/13 at 13:48:47

Midnight, you can go to the Marlin website and download a manual for your Model 60 for free if needed. I'm using a $35.00 Tasco 3x9 40mm scope on my .22 and it is a tack driver at 50yds. Out at 100yds I get verticle stringing from the crappy bulk ammo I'm using.
 Jusst started casting a .311 100 grain bullet to use over some Bullseye in my 30-06 as a plinker. Best I can tell about 5.5 grains of bullseye will give me around 1100 fps which will be a great target/plinker load at 50 yds. I'm using a small pinch of cotton ball to hold the load down in the bottom of the case. Need to get to the range to see how well it works.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #44 - 06/19/13 at 14:15:35

Ed L. wrote on 06/19/13 at 13:48:47:
Midnight, you can go to the Marlin website and download a manual for your Model 60 for free if needed. I'm using a $35.00 Tasco 3x9 40mm scope on my .22 and it is a tack driver at 50yds. Out at 100yds I get verticle stringing from the crappy bulk ammo I'm using.
 Jusst started casting a .311 100 grain bullet to use over some Bullseye in my 30-06 as a plinker. Best I can tell about 5.5 grains of bullseye will give me around 1100 fps which will be a great target/plinker load at 50 yds. I'm using a small pinch of cotton ball to hold the load down in the bottom of the case. Need to get to the range to see how well it works.  

What ya doing for lead? with lead wheel weights all but gone.. the cheap and easy seems to be over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:38:45

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Whats your favorite firearm?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.